VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Regional Forums > Texas (South)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2019, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clam View Post
Iím following intently. Not ready to make an investment just yet, but itís on my short list. As is KDZB (Horsehoe Bay). Any have information/comments/knowledge of that airpark?
I have a buddy that has a hangar/home at DZB, good guy...

His place is for sale, but be ready to part with $750k plus...he can probably discuss the local gouge with you though.

PM me and Iíll give you his contact info..
T67-Hicks Airport, Texas
VAF Monthly Donor
Old 10-31-2019, 12:22 PM

Default 50 Acre Tract Off of HWY 290 Near Dripping Springs

Good Afternoon All,

I have found a potential land tract of interest. It is a 50 Acre Tract for sale with a North South orientation. It is located just south of Highway 290 and a few miles EAST of Dripping Springs. If you know where the new Headwaters Community is, this is just on the south side of HWY 290 from that neighborhood in the "Hays Country Acres" vicinity.

Highlights of this potential property:
- ~50 Acres
- North/South Orientation almost 3000' (~325' width on North end)
- Topography appear to have gentle elevation change (North to South elevation change needs to be verified)
- Potential High Voltage utilities traversing the property to be verified. If this exists the expense to move this, if even possible, may be a deal killer. Visual inspection required. I will try to get eyes on it soon.
- Existing structures can be torn down (land value only) if necessary. ~2500' available if avoiding existing structures.
- Newly listed this past week at $2.6M + (Ag Exemption Tax Rollback TBC)
- Currently has an agricultural tax exemption with 5 year "rollback" likely if ag purposes are remove. Ag Rollbox appears it would have a $250k property tax impact based on back of the napkin calc (to be verified).

Attached is an overview with approximate boundaries of the property drawn. I am a licensed broker and have access to the posted survey but I can not share it here on a public forum. As such, I have drawn in the subject using Google Earth. I can share the survey with individual interested parties if you would like to see the survey.

Overview of Site Location

Approximate Site Dimensions

Let me know what you gentleman think (good or bad).

Last edited by Mammalian04 : 10-31-2019 at 12:31 PM.
Old 10-31-2019, 01:14 PM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mammalian04 View Post
Let me know what you gentleman think (good or bad).
Just an observation from someone that lived in the aviation world in Texas for over thirty years.....airparks or fly-in communities seem to be extremely hard to bring to fruition. I can think of only a couple that actually came about (after years of work) in those decades, despite the many, many ideas and proposals that people made. And some of those that were proposed but never happened were proposed by serious developers who knew the ropes, and had significant funding available.

I canít tell you why they fail - some I know came up against brick walls when it came to local government approval, others fell part because of conflicts within eh community of potential buyers/investors. If you can succeed, youíll have to be a master of local politics, real estate development, and have outstanding skills in dealing with people.

You asked for ďgood or badĒ....best of luck if you can make it happen!
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 10-31-2019, 04:01 PM

Paul, thank you for this informed feedback. That is the general feedback I have been receiving from others as well. I suspect that this attempt may require investment as a private field shared amongst a small group.

I joined a couple members from the AUSTIN EAA chapter this past week and this was a topic of conversation. Their suggestion was to purchase as a private field and lease to a small select group. This approach still carries many challenges on its own, doesn’t quite achieve the engagement of the aviation community objective, and requires a single entity to be able to stand up a field on their own which is not within the means of most.
Old 10-31-2019, 06:37 PM

Default watching with interest

I'm watching with interest. We have to retire somewhere and something like this sounds right up our alley. I'm sure it takes a lot of time, effort, and not a small amount of money, but if you gain some momentum, I suspect you'll find a small group of people that are interested in being part of it.

Good luck,