- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Education > Formation Flying
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2019, 04:49 PM

Default Falcon Flight Formation Clinic 2020

Falcon Flight Formation Team will be hosting a Formation Clinic April 24-26,2020 with a backup weekend of May 1-3, 2020. This clinic will be held in Temple,TX (KTPL). We know this is a ways away but wanted to get it out as time gets away and there are those that like to get things on the calendar early. There will be more details posted here at VAF as we get closer to the date.

NOTE: See updated info below in Post #5.

Last edited by scrollF4 : 01-15-2020 at 08:23 AM. Reason: Updated info
Old 12-30-2019, 07:36 PM

I'm based in Livingston and would like to fly up and participate. My issue is my RV-4 has no rear rudder pedals. I'd be willing to buy fuel for the weekend if someone would be ok with fitting me in their plane. Or, even some kind of rental if available.
Performance Propellers USA
Race #51
00R
Old 01-09-2020, 05:30 PM

Default Looking forward to participating

April will be here before we know it. I look forward to my first RV clinic with new to me RV8. I've been flying Bonanzas and Barons with the Texas V-tails for many years.
2019 Donation Made
Old 01-09-2020, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjb75028 View Post
April will be here before we know it. I look forward to my first RV clinic with new to me RV8. I've been flying Bonanzas and Barons with the Texas V-tails for many years.
Hope to join you there in a couple years after I finish building mine. Have fun!
Waxhaw, NC
Based KEQY
Old 01-15-2020, 08:22 AM
Moderator, Asst. Line Boy

Default Falcon Flight Formation Clinic 2020 Update

Falcon Flight will host a Formation Training Clinic on April 24/25/26 2020 at the Draughon-Miller Central Texas Regional Airport – KTPL, in Temple TX. The weather-out dates will be 1-3 May. This clinic will fly under the standards of Formation Flying Inc. – FFI.

We have created a group at https://groups.io/g/KTPLClinic2020 to handle the logistics. Use the link to request membership in this group, then add a line with your information to the Clinic Signup Table. We will be using this group for all information distribution, including hotel info. Please watch that site closely for further details and updates.

A limit of 30-35 participants is in place. All formation pilots are welcome, whether newcomers and advanced. We will conduct mandatory safety briefings and a formation ground school, and we’ll also go over 8900.1 rules that apply to carded pilots when operating within a certificate of waiver (airshows).

All hotel information is found in the FILES section of the group (updated soon and often). We have two hotels supporting this clinic: Residence Inn Marriott and Holiday Inn. If you intend to participate, make sure to get your room booked early before the group rate expires. You can cancel up to 24 hours prior to arrival at no penalty.

Sid "Scroll" Mayeux, Col, USAF (ret)
52F NW Regional/Aero Valley Airport, Roanoke TX (home of DR's Van Cave)
"KELLI GIRL" N260KM RV-7A tipper
Catch her on YouTube's "Because I Fly!" channel

Exemption waived.
Proud and grateful 2020 -=VAF=- Contributor
Old 01-22-2020, 04:32 PM

Default Formation clinics and cards???

I have had a couple of conversations around Falcon Flight's Formation Clinic coming up in April. I wanted to write a universal response:

Stu "Falcon" McCurdy started Falcon Flight in 1993 as a way to demonstrate the precision and safety of flying in formation. Falcon Flight was the first FFI team. He would soon thereafter start FFI (Formation Flying Inc.) to set a "standard" and get more pilots flying formation safely. I believe the history and legacy of Falcon Flight continues because of his dream to teach, demonstrate, and provide a resource for those motivated to fly formation.

The questions have ranged from "What if I don't want to be a "Carded pilot"?" to "If I don't have a "Card" I can't be in the "club". The goal of FFI is Not for everyone to get a card and we are not a club. I think I can speak for most FFI formation clinics with the exception of the advanced clinics which are designed to get pilots carded for Airshows/routines. So you do NOT have to be a carded pilot to fly formation! The goal of FFI is spread the precision and standard of flying formation to those interested in learning a new skill, training to the same standard and holding those they fly with to the standard. This allows the pilot to show up with others that have been trained to the standard to get together and go formation flying safely - That truly was "Falcon's" goal! There are lots of reasons to fly formation, which I will not go into here - that is for a clinic.

There are those who want to get a card as it demonstrates a lot of energy, effort and training to get "carded" as it is not an easy process in that it takes time and lots of practice. But here again the only reason you MUST have a card is to perform in TFR's and/or Airshows. So if you have 4 RV buddies in this case that have been trained to the FFI standard and you wanted to go do a local missing man for a veteran etc. none of you would need a "Card".

Hopefully, this answers some of the questions/perceptions around RV Formation Clinics and will serve to encourage more aviators to learn this skill. Please feel free to take a look at the upcoming Falcon Flight Clinic in the above posts or any others that are held around the country. I think you will have lots of fun, be challenged and learn/polish up a great skill.
Old 01-23-2020, 05:28 PM

What about RV-10 drivers?

-Marc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Check6 View Post
I have had a couple of conversations around Falcon Flight's Formation Clinic coming up in April. I wanted to write a universal response:

Stu "Falcon" McCurdy started Falcon Flight in 1993 as a way to demonstrate the precision and safety of flying in formation. Falcon Flight was the first FFI team. He would soon thereafter start FFI (Formation Flying Inc.) to set a "standard" and get more pilots flying formation safely. I believe the history and legacy of Falcon Flight continues because of his dream to teach, demonstrate, and provide a resource for those motivated to fly formation.

The questions have ranged from "What if I don't want to be a "Carded pilot"?" to "If I don't have a "Card" I can't be in the "club". The goal of FFI is Not for everyone to get a card and we are not a club. I think I can speak for most FFI formation clinics with the exception of the advanced clinics which are designed to get pilots carded for Airshows/routines. So you do NOT have to be a carded pilot to fly formation! The goal of FFI is spread the precision and standard of flying formation to those interested in learning a new skill, training to the same standard and holding those they fly with to the standard. This allows the pilot to show up with others that have been trained to the standard to get together and go formation flying safely - That truly was "Falcon's" goal! There are lots of reasons to fly formation, which I will not go into here - that is for a clinic.

There are those who want to get a card as it demonstrates a lot of energy, effort and training to get "carded" as it is not an easy process in that it takes time and lots of practice. But here again the only reason you MUST have a card is to perform in TFR's and/or Airshows. So if you have 4 RV buddies in this case that have been trained to the FFI standard and you wanted to go do a local missing man for a veteran etc. none of you would need a "Card".

Hopefully, this answers some of the questions/perceptions around RV Formation Clinics and will serve to encourage more aviators to learn this skill. Please feel free to take a look at the upcoming Falcon Flight Clinic in the above posts or any others that are held around the country. I think you will have lots of fun, be challenged and learn/polish up a great skill.
Old 01-25-2020, 09:20 AM

Default Rv10

I know that one of the team members here has a 10 and it does very well when we have gone to local fly outs. We think it would would work very well in a Bonanza clinic but I can not speak to the Bonanza clinics. That would need to come from someone who does those clinics and see what their feedback would be. I just know it has been talked about, no idea what the interest level would be among the 10 community. Thanks for asking. That is how we get things figured out interest and safety wise.
Old 01-25-2020, 09:45 AM

Default RV10

Regarding RV10 and Bonanza formation clinics - if you are anywhere near the KC area please consider flying with the Beechnutz. Clinics 2x per year generally late April and late Sept/early Oct. Of all the Bonanza formation groups I would say we are by far the most welcoming of types other than Beech.

If interested please send a PM to '2-Blade' here on VAF who leads the Beechnutz.
Waxhaw, NC
Based KEQY
Old 01-25-2020, 11:53 AM

Beechniutz clinic is Apr 30-May3. As was mentioned, contact 2b.
Fredericksburg, TX