What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sharkbait flying to South America (again)

Rosie

Well Known Member
For those of you who need to 'goof-off-for-a-short-time-at-work-on-Friday', my very good friend Andrew "Sharkbait" Brandt is flying back to South America via the 'Caribbean Islands' route. His trip starts early Friday morning (20 March).

He is departing Homestead (X51), Florida with a planned overnight on Beef Island (TUPJ) in the British Virgin Islands. He'll continue on flying down the Antilles island chain and spend several weeks flying south of the equator. He will start flying back 'up' the Antilles chain in mid-April to meet up with me.

You can track his flight in the RV-9A he and and his Dad Charles built here: http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0apYQYWJ3y8LWvbFgmken5BpxmEZWYMCr :) Rosie

Sharkbait_01.jpg

Sharkbait_routing_day1.jpg

Last edited:
Check the bat.

He hasn't departed yet but as of yesterday his batteries need to be replaced before he goes feet wet.;)

Looks like Sharkbait was airborne ~0945 EDT and is now more than halfway to Providenciales (his first fuel stop) :) Rosie

Gee, thanks Rosie for ensuring that a perfectly useful Friday is spent watching a little dot move across a map on a computer screen, dreaming of our adventure to follow in about three weeks!

"Sharkbait", for those that don't know... On one of the many adventures, Andrew spent much of his time paddling back and forth to a nearby island in a little one person kayak while the rest of us took the water taxi. He was smittin' to have his own, free, personal transportation and was having a ball. One day we noticed that there was a shark cruising the waters just off shore of our resort. Ok, so I think I'll avoid the water for a while. I don't think Andrew was around during the "noticed" part. He may have been out in "his" kayak.

Anyway, another water taxi ride to/from that other island, yep, there is that shark right there following us back to the resort. We had been back on the beach for 15 or 20min watching this shark cruising around. This was a real honest to goodness shark. (Cue the Jaws music.) "Hey, here comes Andrew..." "Uh...!", "UHH..!!!", "ANDREW!!, SHARK!!!" He could barely hear us and for a few seconds had a slightly confused look on his face and just kept paddling at his usual measured pace. Then his brain completed processing what he was hearing in the distance from shore as he started a rapid scan of the water. Yep, the tall fin sticking up out of the water was inbound. (Dun, Dun... Dun, Dun...) The shark was close, following and definitely considering it's options.

I'm certain that nobody has ever seen a one man kayak go that fast. He engaged warp speed. Each stroke was taking a rapid complete bite of the water and that kayak came right up on the step. He WAS ... Sharkbait!

Safe travels Sharkbait.

From Rosie: That's a great background on Sharkbait. I KNOW there is a picture of him 'with' the Shark (I think Jim Pappas took it), but for now, here me (in white) and him enjoying the water:
From Scoot: I don't think any of us had our cameras for some reason. I'm digging back through my pictures now.

Bahamas_196.jpg

Finally found the picture of the shark that Jim Pappas took:

Sharkbaits_shark.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
On the ground at Provo. Luckily Sharkbait knows to land long for the ramp at the far end. If you land short and stop at the "commercial" ramp, it is a LONG taxi (might as well fly) to the GA ramp on the other end. Ask me how I know...

It looks like the "Low" batteries ran out just short of the destination... Or...

Let's go with "Low batteries"...I sent him an e-mail to check-in, Rosie

Sharkbait_routing_day1a.jpg

Sharkbait is SAFE! Yes, his batteries died but the unit flashed green all the way to Beef Island (next to Tortola, BVI). He will change out the batteries in the morning then work his way to Grenada. I also told him to 'force' an update from Beef Island to finish drawing the line from the 'crash' site :) Rosie

Last edited:
What a trip in a little RV

The potential for adventure in these RV's is incredible. Looks like he sleeping in Grenada tonight. ;)

Sharkbait_02.jpg

Our Magic Carpets we call RVs

The potential for adventure in these RV's is incredible. Looks like he sleeping in Grenada tonight. ;)

Leave the coast of Florida on Friday morning, and be in Grenada on Saturday before lunch... all flown in this airplane we all call an RV! THANK YOU VAN! Scott & Deb Mills have this in their signature block that sums it up:

"In order to discover new lands one must have the courage to lose sight of the shore." Andre Gide

Reading about the traveling adventures of Gary "Condor" Sobek really motivated me during my five-year-build and I'm glad that Sharkbait, me and others can (hopefully) keep-the-fire-burning-for-the-builders and encourage the fliers to spread-there-wings.

Two years ago during our 2013 trip to the Antilles, we all departed Beef Island with Sharkbait flying south to Brazil (and below the equator) while me, Keys, Jailbird & Indira flew west to the Dominican Republic, south to Bonaire & Curaçao then east to Grenada where Sharkbait met back up with us the evening before we left Grenada for St. Lucia. He did not get to see this beautiful island so he'll be sightseeing for a day or two in Grenada.

He's been saving vacation for two years so that he could take TWO months flying his RV around South America and the Caribbean...he's got no real schedule :) Rosie

Andrew "Sharkbait" Brandt on the ramp in Grenada (2013):
Antilles_405.jpg

Last edited:
Sharkbait left Grenada this morning (3/23, Monday) and should cross into South America at Guyana with the next 15 minutes (~0930 EST) :) Rosie

Last edited:
Sharkbait has LANDED AT THE EQUATOR., about 6.5 flight hours from Grenada :)

Friday: Homestead (FL) to the British Virgin Islands (fueled in the Turks and BVI)
Saturday: BVI to Grenada (fueled)
Sunday: Sightseeing in Grenada
Monday: Grenada to Guyana (fuel) then into Macapá (Brazil):

If you desire, RVs can take you anywhere you want to be :D Rosie

Sharkbait_03.jpg

Last edited:
Hey...I was right...just missed it by a day...Sharkbait is on-the-go and flying to Brasilia for the weekend...I think...YES...he went around Brasilia to some smaller airport...

Sharkbait_05.jpg

Sharkbait_06.jpg

Sharkbait_07.jpg

Have a GREAT weekend Sharkbait :D Rosie

Builders: Keep poundin' them rivets because it's ALL worth it!

Last edited:
Sharkbait is on the go again, this time flying southwest. Will again to try and guess where's he's flying to today: Rio Verde for fuel then to somewhere in Paraguay :D Rosie

Sharkbait is on the Go-Again-this-morning...not sure where :D Rosie

sharkbait_08.jpg

Last edited:
Sharkbait has been zigging and zagging recently....

He's still in Brazil. I got an e-mail from him saying, though he'd like to fly to Sao Paulo, he'd need to win the lotto to pay the landing fees so he'll probably park the plane and fly there commercial :D Rosie

Sharkbait_09.jpg

Sharkbait_11.jpg

Last edited:
Sergio from Brazil

I had the pleasure of hosting Sharkbait and his RV-9A in Brasilia for a few days. By the way, SIQE is "close to a grass strip in the middle of nowhere," but it is 1750 meters long and asphalt. Untowered, uncontrolled, and no landing fees for all VAF members, provided prior arrangements are made. I have a couple of pictures, but wouldn't know how to post them here, so if anyone is interested, please send me an email and I will reply.
:):)
As far as he told me he is headed now for a place called Costa Esmeralda (SDEN), a private community for aviators in the southern coast of Brazil. I heard it is a fabulous place, never been there myself... :D:D

Note to Rosie from Sergio:
"Hi Rosie, I have enjoyed very much following you guys on VAF during your previous trip to the Caribbean, so eventually Andrew and I got in touch, we started exchanging emails and that's how he ended up landing here in Brasilia. Here are three pictures. Two of them are actually taken by Andrew with his cell phone on board my plane, while I gave him a ride - a slow flight over Brasilia (it seems his nice RV is too fast for that...) One is taken by me when he was preparing to leave."

Sharkbait_13.jpg

Sharkbait_14.jpg

Sharkbait_12.jpg

From Sharkbait: Today's flight was uneventful... At the beach for a day or two then headed to a place near Sao Paulo for a few more days. I'll be starting my trek northward soon.

Rosie: Here's the progress Sharkbait made on 7 April. Start with Pin 38 to the coastline, about 2 hours of flying...all in a plane he built with his Dad Charles in Dad's garage :D

Sharkbait_15.jpg

And to give you the 'big picture' of how far's he's flown from near Carson City, Nevada (Minden for the locals):

Sharkbait_16.jpg

With all my travels, I forgot about Sharkbait!?! He's has started back north and will eventually meet up with our group in Dominica on 20 April :D Rosie

Sharkbait_017.jpg

Sharkbait continues his trek north and will be meeting up with our group on 20 April on the island of Dominica :) Rosie

Sharkbait_18.jpg

Having Fun!!

Hey Andrew AKA Shark Bait
Looks like you are having a great time!! its been fun watching your progress!! when are you going to meet up with the rest of the group? when you do, tell Doug he is not drinking enough Beer!! Have a great time and be Safe down there!!

Keys

Sharkbait met up with Rosie's group today (20 April) in Grenada and will continue with the group from here :D

My Brasil flight and info for those interested in the process.

Hello. Many thanks to the RV community and to my friends, old and new, in America, the Caribbean, and Brasil for a wonderful journey. You are all welcome at my place and I hope to see you soon. I also need to thank Scott Sweeny who I met on the ramp in Exuma in 2011 for all his help back then and thereafter.

To provide those who are still pounding rivets with some motivation and those curious with a ?how do I do that? narrative please keep reading.

Since the last trip Rosie & Tuppergal, the Buono?s, Card?s, Keys, Moody Blue, Opie & E-Stitch, and the gang made in 2013, I realized that a journey of this length is well within the capability of an RV. All it takes is the desire, some key knowledge, money, and time. An understanding or wiliness to speak Portuguese helps too.:)

As with any trip, one has to be ready for and accept changes to the plan. Dismissing the risks and flying in marginal situations is bad in general. Doing them on vacation, when you are in complete control, can easily earn you a Darwin award and throw away everything you cherish. My original goal and a dream I still have is to reach the southern tip of Argentina. Unfortunately like 2013, I had to rethink my plan and shorten the journey due to WX across the southern US and throughout the Amazon region of northern South America. I lost about two weeks due to storms but those delays afforded me opportunities I would not have had otherwise. Thanks bad weather.

After visiting friends and family along the way to Florida I thought I was ready to depart X51 when I noticed my left mag fail during run-up. Thanks to my friend Larry Schneider who long ago suggested that I install another impulse magneto I was not stuck at the departure end of 18 in Homestead. He was later able to locate an engine shop in Central Florida that could turn my mag around in a couple of hours. After Bert, John, and I swapped out the bad mag for the spare I was carrying at Robert?s Air South I headed north.

My experience at Tropic Airpower at X58 is one I will never forget. After my time there with owner Mark Taylor, I felt confident that my magnetos would bring me home. He provided a great education on magneto assembly and operation to my ignorant ears and eyes. As pilots, we are part of a very giving and generous community. It is great to know that when you are thousands of miles from home and alone, you are still in good company. More on this from Brasil?

The next order of business was obviously to start the trek over water. With the plane once again working I left Homestead for fuel in The Turks and an overnight in the BVIs. Between our range and the availability of fuel, RVs can easily island hop down the Caribbean chain with lots of options. My departure preference for Brasil has always been to leave from Grenada and go through Guyana where English is spoken. However, others readily utilize Trinidad and French Guiana. It all depends on where you want to end up in Brasil and your comfort level flying over some very remote territory. The longest and most self-reflecting leg for me is this stint over the Amazon. Macap? (SBMQ) and Boa Vista (SBBV) are the two most common international ports of entry for GA. Macap? lies on the bank of the Amazon River at the equator near the Atlantic coast and Boa Vista is surrounded by the Amazon Jungle a few hundred miles inland. Brasil requires that aircraft enter and exit from an international airport. Brasil also requires that pilots submit copies (.pdf is easiest) of their insurance with Brasilian coverage, pilot?s license, medical cert., registration, airworthiness cert., and operating limitations. You can start an application in English here: http://www2.anac.gov.br/anac/siavanac2.asp

The Brasilian equivalent to the FAA, ANAC will respond to your landing request via email and inform you that your request was received. You will then receive another email with your approval and further instructions for those who wish to fly within the country. Brasil requires a TEAT (Termo de Entrada e Admissao Temporaria de Aeronave) be issued to fly beyond the international airport of entry. Once you have received approval via an AVANAC number, you have two days beyond your stated arrival date to enter. If you miss your window for any reason simply follow the link in the email and update your arrival date.

Inspection by Customs, ANAC, and sometimes the Federal Police should be expected on the ground upon arrival in Macap?. Though a yellow fever vaccine is not currently required it could be an easy way to be denied entry. Pick one up in the USA before your trip and save yourself a potential hassle. Due to a late afternoon arrival I had to go to the Receta Federal office the following morning to receive my TEAT. I lucked out last time and was able to do everything at the airport. Be prepared for either case. Along with the TEAT, you must obtain four stamps on your general declaration before you will be authorized to fly to your next destination. I only managed three at the airport and after a 2.5 hour meeting with ANAC at the Receta Federal building had my clearance to fly in Brasil. ?Just another relatively painless hurdle to flying in a foreign country. Although I had planned to stay two nights in Macap?, some computer problems, paperwork issues (which were not my fault), and the weather made it three. It all goes back to not being concerned about schedule changes. I made more friends because of inconveniences like this.

Here are some quick observations on flying within Brasil:
If you land at an airport prefixed with SBxx expect to pay over $100US in various fees each time. The fees change with the perceived importance of the airport and the exchange rate.
?Must haves? to plan your flights are the ROTAER (like our AFD) and these websites:
http://www.redemet.aer.mil.br/
http://www.cptec.inpe.br/
http://www.planodevoo.net/
http://www.aisweb.aer.mil.br/?i=home (find the ROTAER and NOTAMS here)
I also found this site to be useful for winds aloft: https://www.windyty.com/
Flight plans are required for all flights though ATC communications are not always guaranteed.
123.45 is the frequency for most every small airport. Imagine the chat line received at 10k feet.
Class A begins at 15k feet and IFR is prohibited in some aircraft.
Controlled airspace begins at 5500 feet and there is a transition zone until 6500 feet where aircraft are expected to dial 29.92 or 1013 on their altimeters.
VFR aircraft typically squawk 2000 but I was never certain if I was ever "seen" by ATC. I was typically ignored and only contacted when I flew near a large city or Flight Information Region (FIR). I could not recognize a pattern to my VFR transponder assignments. IFR transponder assignments seemed random too. 1200 means nothing and 7xxx codes were used at times. (If you read this Sergio, let me know if I have this correct.)

Back