What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing Step Area Coating

DonFromTX

Well Known Member
I think the glue on cover for the step area looks a little strange going on over the rivets as it does. I am considering putting some sort of paint it on step material instead. Does anybody have experiences they wish to share about this?

I believe Jetguy and RDOG put some paint-on hookumpuckee on both the wing walk and the step--looked quite nice, as I recall.

Alternative Non-Skid

I simply mask and painted a wing walk area on my white wing with another trim color I was using on the airplane. After all the airplane painting was done I went back on re-masked that area and rolled on a couple layers of clear coat with a small roller. Before applying the clear I mixed some non-skid compound into the clear coat. This left a nice rough non-skid texture which is easy to clean. The non-skid compound I used was some stuff I had bought years ago from West Marine for a boat. It's a very fine powder type material that came in a pint can. The description on their website is "This paint additive is made of very fine polymeric spheres that don'?t collect dirt as easily as natural grit. Mix directly into paint and brush or roll on."

Non-skidStep.jpg

On the photo above the white that shows through is simply the white from the wing that was masked. I rolled the non-skid over the entire area including the white. I think this photo was taken prior to adding the non-skid but doesn't look much different. I also painted the top of the steps and rolled non-skid on them as well. I'm very please with the outcome and it's hard to tell it's just paint. Much nicer look than the big shingle.

Our local RV-12 builder/pilot didn't like the look of the rivets under the wing walk material either. So he cut the wing walk material into longitudinal strips that he positioned on the wing skin between the rows of rivets. Looks good - however, over time I expect that the tops of the exposed rivets will lose their paint somewhat due to foot wear.

Back