What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tow bar?

pmshep

Pulling on the prop is not allowed, so how do you move the "12" around on the ground.....pushing it backwards into the hangar?? Anybody designed a tow bar yet?

Curiosity Question

Does Rotax not allow pushing and pulling on the prop? The prop pulls the plane, so I am having trouble thinking why you couldn't pull on the prop.

You can

If you put your hands near the hub, you can push and pull. The problem is, with a castering front fork, you can't really push it.

John Bender

OK, so no different from any other "-A" model RV.

I can push my -6A backwards if I am careful, but the towbar makes it easier.

You got it

Once it starts to turn if pushing, you have to back up and start again. Tow bar is essential.

John Bender

which one ...

Which tow bar would fit the RV-12 with no need to fabricate the connection? In effect a plug and play tow bar.

RV12 TOW BAR

I designed and built a tow bar that also serves as a rudder lock when parked. It is a bit heavy at 4.5 lbs but it I could have lightened it more in the machined aluminum fork area. Someday I will revise my CNC program to do that. Now before you ask to see pictures, I still haven't figured out how to do them using photobucket or some other site. If someone wants to volunteer, I can e-mail pics to them to post for me (but not tonight - my time on the computer is up). I am also going to make a small addition to it which will then lock all the control surfaces in a neutral position.
Larry

Last edited:
Jerry - This will work

Wag-Aero Online Store
All prices and supplies are subject to change without notice. Login | Shopping Cart

RV-A Series Aircraft Deluxe Towbar
Model:
SKU: M-340-026

RV-A Series Aircraft Towbar. Two piece spring loaded design. 26" collapsable, 43" overall.
Code 7

$49.95

Jerry - this one should work well.

John Bender

Wag-Aero Online Store
All prices and supplies are subject to change without notice. Login | Shopping Cart

RV-A Series Aircraft Deluxe Towbar
Model:
SKU: M-340-026

RV-A Series Aircraft Towbar. Two piece spring loaded design. 26" collapsable, 43" overall.
Code 7

$49.95

Jerry - this one should work well.

John Bender

Thanks for the tip! I ordered RV-A Series Aircraft Deluxe Towbar.:)

Last edited:
Pushing is all about technique

I push my friends RV-10 back into his hangar just about every Saturday morning. only had it turn on me once.

now the 12 is a bit lighter :)

Back