What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Eastwood paints

bweez

Has anyone used Eastwood paints to paint an RV? If so, did you use single stage or base coat / clear coat? Pros and cons of using Eastwood products??
Gathering information prior to painting an RV-10.

Thank you,
Brian

Primer only

I am using Eastwood (DTM) direct to metal Epoxy primer. Working out very well. Goes on nicely even with a cheap HVLP sprayer. I use PreKote etch first, then let dry and then primer. Ready to touch in 1 hr, I wait 24 hrs before i assemble.

To your question, i have not used any of their exterior top coats . . .

My take on paint

I had asked for advice in this thread. Lots of people like JetFlex. The water-based one is easier to spray, but both versions are awful expensive. The best tip I got in there was for Sherwin Williams Polane T. It has sheen properties right in the sweet spot at 30 units or so.

I'm more or less ruling out 2-stage because of the work it would take.

Does Eastwood give a gloss rating of their paints? Its hard to find a single stage thats in the goldilocks zone of gloss ratings between ultra flat and semigloss. My experience anyway.

Has anyone used Eastwood paints to paint an RV? If so, did you use single stage or base coat / clear coat? Pros and cons of using Eastwood products??
Gathering information prior to painting an RV-10.

Thank you,
Brian

I've used their single stage on the interior of my -10. No complaints, but no service history either.

Summit and Eastwood paints are re-branded Kirker paint. I have done several projects with Kirker and have had nothing but positive results.

Summit and Eastwood paints are re-branded Kirker paint. I have done several projects with Kirker and have had nothing but positive results.

I belive the Eastwood is Kirker and Summit is Nason. I painted with the Nason and am happy with the result. It was harder to use than the PPG omni I used on the interior (more prone to dry-spray), but I would use it again.

I used summits epoxy primer and it was great.

20191007-184623.jpg

Summit is definitely Kirker. I had a few tech questions and they confirmed Summit was made by them when I contacted Kirker.

Nason Paint

I used Nason Fulthane single stage paint on our -8 with good results. I read the technical documents, read a few comments from pros and practiced on a condemned -6 tail. The price is reasonable and it's easy enough to spray even using an inexpensive (Harbor Freight) spray gun.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/9eQBPnnVfta1BmrU9

Follow-up question

I have a follow up question. I have been looking at the Summit single stage paint for my project. What is best practice for primer on an airplane? As I understand, for a car, you would typically use body filler, epoxy primer, urethane high build primer, then paint. That sounds very heavy?

Would one wet coat of primer be acceptable? If so, epoxy or urethane? Also, I don?t want to use Alodine. Is there a primer that sticks good w/o Alodine?

Thanks,
Bill

What is best practice for primer on an airplane?
Is there a primer that sticks good w/o Alodine?

Thanks,
Bill

There's a wide range of opinions on this and never-ending debate (section of VAF especially set aside for this!)

But my opinion would be to use a 2-pack epoxy primer, after preparing the surface by cleaning and abrading with maroon scotch-brite.
The brand of primer should be based on the top-coat that you are going to use, i.e. select an entire paint "system" from one manufacturer.

Summit is definitely Kirker. I had a few tech questions and they confirmed Summit was made by them when I contacted Kirker.

Thinking about it again and how I came the the conclusion that summit was Nason, I wonder if they changed brands since your call. All the Kirker paints I have seen ( and the eastwood paints) are 3:1 mix and the gallon cans come only 3/4 full. The Summit paint was a full gallon and a 4:1 mix ratio, same as Nason. Plus the color palet is pretty much the same as the Nason branded paints.

Kirker

I just started working with Kirker. Thanks Jereme. So far just the EnduroPrime, but I like it. Can't argue cost either. Super cheap compared to SW Jet Flex. Mixes easy. Wet sands in 24 hours. Seems to stick really well. I plan to use the exterior paint later.
If you want a flattened paint, call Kirker and ask about mixing a flattening agent and what rate. They answer the phone. What a concept. I called recently and was told two coats of primer, wait till fully cured. 3-5 days. Wet sand with 800. Spray final paint. Cure. Wet sand 800, 2000 then cut and buff.

Back