What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anyone rolling on primer?

Ender

So, I?m not a fan of spraying in my garage due to the overspray and dust. I?ve had a 2x4 booth, a PVC booth and just putting up walls and using a lot of fans out the door. The booth takes up too much room for how much I use it. I have to prime in garage as I live in Midwest and we have winter. I?m also toying with idea to use garage door rails and a small amount of PVC so I can take it down easier.

Anyone on here from roll AKZO? I?ve read a few posts that rolling works slick. I?d be worried that it?s going on too thick and I?ll use a ton of primer, let alone the weight. (And foam brush for hard to read nooks)

I don?t care if it looks perfect, the exterior will be sprayed.

Thanks in advance !

Weight

Seems like it would add weight. Maybe try some samples. Weigh them before and after and compare weight of spray vs rolled finish.
Funny you mention using the garage frame. That's how I primed in Winter. Cold in the mountains of Colorado.
I used plant hangars to suspend 10' lengths of conduit from the garage door rails. A square of conduit hangs below each garage door frame. Doesn't interfere with the doors. Primer booth is old shower curtains hung from the conduits. Exhaust is a bildge blower plumed to a wall dryer vent.
Works pretty good and fast to set up or take down.

Yes, I rollered some primer. I tried 2 types, one an auto non chromate 2 pack etch (used to be autocolor but don't know who they are now), worked well. The other is a 3 pack white primer, Randolph W2258 Epibond, didn't work very well in that it was rather patchy - but its the inside and it doesn't really matter. I used a quite dense foam 6" roller.

Pete

I purchased some PVC sprinkler pipe and painting clear plastic tarp roll. A couple of moving boxes and a cheap fan. Built a snorkel out of soda bottles for the fan motor and a slot near the fan in the boxes to allow inserting house air filters. boxes connect to the paint booth tarp via tape. Some larger filters on top of paint booth for fresh air in. I use Stewart systems paint so fumes are not an issue. Open garage door a bit to let exhaust out. I can reconfigure the size of the paint booth as needed or disassemble as needed.

It rolls fine!

I rolled all my flat parts like skins (inner) and other various parts. I use the small smooth foam rollers, and even the big 12" smooth foams for skins. I thin my primer slightly to give it a thinner coat overall. Most folks cant tell I didn't spray it. At my day job, doing heavy jet overhaul, we cant spray and do all prime/paint re-work with rollers. Get some 1/2 wide artist brushes and you can do almost all the parts with brush/roller. I did use AKZO primer on my plane.

I rolled all my flat parts like skins (inner) and other various parts. I use the small smooth foam rollers, and even the big 12" smooth foams for skins. I thin my primer slightly to give it a thinner coat overall. Most folks cant tell I didn't spray it. At my day job, doing heavy jet overhaul, we cant spray and do all prime/paint re-work with rollers. Get some 1/2 wide artist brushes and you can do almost all the parts with brush/roller. I did use AKZO primer on my plane.

Would it be possible to see a pic of some parts? I am curious now.

Jereme,
I'd post pics on VAF here, but my computer firewall does not allow web picture hosting. Send me a PM with your email info, and I will dig up some pics to send you.

Back