What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Help with RV-6A, tail of RV-7

dvalle

Well Known Member
Does anyone know the specifis regarding installing a RV-7 elevator and horizontal stab on a RV-6?

It would help if you would give specifics on what info you are looking for.

Retrofit to an already flying airplane?
Wondering how difficult? (That depends on if it is a first time install on a new build or retrofit, etc)

They both attach the same way.
I think the weight is nearly the same (the 7 has heavier elevators but the counter weights are lighter so it is probably close to a wash)

My 6A has a 7 horizontal and elevators that were installed during a rebuild, but there are different issues doing that compared to doing it during a new build.

It is a retrofit to an already 2000 model s/n 22501 flying airplane?
It was damaged during a roof cave in from ice and snow. The vertical and rudder were not damaged...only needs the horizontal and elevator and I found both local for sale. I'd like to know, is it an easy install or are modifications required? Thanks

It is a retrofit to an already 2000 model s/n 22501 flying airplane?
It was damaged during a roof cave in from ice and snow. The vertical and rudder were not damaged...only needs the horizontal and elevator and I found both local for sale. I'd like to know, is it an easy install or are modifications required? Thanks

It will fit just fine and wont require any modification.
Depending on the vintage of the empenage kit (pre punched or not) for the original build, there may be a little bit of fiberglass work involved with the re-fitting of the empenage fairing.
The biggest challenge is in match drilling the attach bolt holes in the fwd spar angle. Particularly if they were not drilled straight the first time.
Give a shout if/when you get to that point and we can give you a few ideas on how to accomplish that.

I have a -7 tail on my -6. Mine is not a retrofit, so the mounting process was the same as for the -6. The overall planform of the 7 horizontal stab is the same as the 6 so there shouldn't be any issues. As mentioned already, the hardest part will be match-drilling the forward spar to the aft deck. Those holes are in a pretty tight spot.

Longerons

Also, best to get a digital level and make sure the longerons are the same side/side and fore/aft. Not probable but you do not want a twist in them. Measure across the cockpit and then aft of the rear topskin.

Jerry

Last edited:
I have used templates in a case like this to make sure that those important front holes line up.
a scrap of aluminum as long as the deck is wide, at the attachment area will do. It should be a as wide as the attach angle.
1.Mark the centre of the old HS and the deck plate while the old HS is in place
2.remove bolts
3.place template under HS, align the HS and deck with previous marks and add a new centre mark to the template
4. clamp in place
5. Mark holes in HS to the template
6. drill holes in template and check to make sure the align with old holes
7. Fit new HS to back bars and mark centre of new HS with the centre mark on the deck
8. remove new HS and clamp template to underside of new HS, aligning the centre marks
9. Drill new holes slightly undersize and fit to fuse to check alignment
10. If satisfied final drill holes.

Back