What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Which system for an IO-390?

sheldon957

I have an RV-14A that has an IO-390 with standard mags. The hot starts are killing me and my starter.

Should I only change just one side, which would be the right side magneto? Is there a significant advantage to doing both sides?

Which electronic system is the best for easy hot starts?

From what I have gathered, the PMAG is the easy drop in replacement, but not sure on how easy it makes the hot starts or if there is a better solution.

no expert but I would lean towards a fuel problem not a ignition one. lots on here about hot start procedures.

There is no really significant difference in wiring labor for any of the EI's. Current vendors are (in alpha order) Electroair, G3, P-Mag, SDS, Surefly, and perhaps somebody I've forgotten. You can find fans and detractors for all of them.

EDIS-based ignitions are working very well on my own 390:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=135476

In all cases I'd ditch the mag with the impulse coupling and use the EI for start. Any EI makes mixture management less critical for starting.

Last edited:
HOT Starts

The Emag seemed to fix my HOT Start Issues. She starts like a car now. if you have a standard L,R,Both ignition key its most likely that you'll have to remove the Jumper on it that Disables the Non impulse mag as your system is now.

I have an RV-14A that has an IO-390 with standard mags. The hot starts are killing me and my starter.

Should I only change just one side, which would be the right side magneto? Is there a significant advantage to doing both sides?

Which electronic system is the best for easy hot starts?

From what I have gathered, the PMAG is the easy drop in replacement, but not sure on how easy it makes the hot starts or if there is a better solution.

I installed dual pMag ignitions on a now flying RV-14 (stock Van's IO-390). The engine starts cold, hot or warm - makes no difference.

I have 700 hours on a dual pMag install in my 8A, They have been flawless.

For me, one pMag is better than no pMags, and two pMags are better than one. If your mags are low hours then they have some resale value so pulling them both now might make sense. If not, then perhaps pulling the right mag and installing a pMag, then waiting for the second pMag when the remaining mag gets to the 500 hour point would ease the money pain. Wire your ignition so you start on the one pMag.

Once you have pMags you will find your engine is very smooth when LOP (even more so if you balance the injectors). In addition to the cross country fuel saving, the bonus is you end the grossly overpriced aircraft spark-plug cleaning ritual. At $2 - $3 each I just replace the NGK plugs.

Carl

I installed dual pMag ignitions on a now flying RV-14 (stock Van's IO-390). The engine starts cold, hot or warm - makes no difference.

I have 700 hours on a dual pMag install in my 8A, They have been flawless.

For me, one pMag is better than no pMags, and two pMags are better than one. If your mags are low hours then they have some resale value so pulling them both now might make sense. If not, then perhaps pulling the right mag and installing a pMag, then waiting for the second pMag when the remaining mag gets to the 500 hour point would ease the money pain. Wire your ignition so you start on the one pMag.

Once you have pMags you will find your engine is very smooth when LOP (even more so if you balance the injectors). In addition to the cross country fuel saving, the bonus is you end the grossly overpriced aircraft spark-plug cleaning ritual. At $2 - $3 each I just replace the NGK plugs.

Carl

Thank you for the information. Do you have a parts list for your ignition system and any pics of the install? Was it the same pMag model # for both sides? My understanding is you needed different gears for the impulse side vs the non-implulse side?

My mags are new with only around 75-77 hours on them, so I would sell them.

Thank you for the information. Do you have a parts list for your ignition system and any pics of the install? Was it the same pMag model # for both sides? My understanding is you needed different gears for the impulse side vs the non-implulse side?

My mags are new with only around 75-77 hours on them, so I would sell them.

It's the same model P-Mag for both sides and the same gear... the gear on your regular mag can be re-used but the impulse coupled mag gear will not work. You need a Lycoming gear 68c19622.

Also on the impulse side, you will need to pull the longer studs and replace them with Lycoming stud 31C12.

It's the same model P-Mag for both sides and the same gear... the gear on your regular mag can be re-used but the impulse coupled mag gear will not work. You need a Lycoming gear 68c19622.

Also on the impulse side, you will need to pull the longer studs and replace them with Lycoming stud 31C12.

Thank you Stephen!

Call Brad at pMag. They sell the needed gear along with everything else you need. Verify your engine has the long reach plugs (it should) so you get the right plug adapters.

Carl

Back