What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Proseal - Tank Rib Removal

cderk

Well Known Member
Was wondering if anyone has any tips for removing the inboard rib that is under the tank attach bracket after its been sealed up with Proseal (probably a month or two). If it makes a difference this is on an RV10.

Long story short, on both tanks, I missed putting Proseal between the rib and the tank attach bracket. It leaks horribly. I've gone in and tried (at least 3 times) to add more Proseal on the inside of the tank, but the tank attach bracket makes it extremely difficult to see inside. So I decided it was time to remove the rib, and try to start from scratch to get a good seal (luckily, I found this out prior to putting on the rear baffle).

I've taken all the rivets out and have done a decent job getting the Proseal off the outside of the tank - but getting it off the inside is going to be a challenge - especially since i went in and really caked it on, hoping to seal the leak. I've soaked a rag with MEK and held it in there, wiped it along the seam, etc. Still having problems working it loose.

Any thoughts/suggestions? Here is a pic of what I'm trying to remove:

Thanks
charlie

Tank leak

I have seen some nice external repairs using same mixture of epoxy resin with hardner (stock mix) painted on let dry,2nd coat...NO LEAK ! must clean and rough up areas to be coated !

In this thread, posts 123 to 130, I removed a tank end rib and replaced it. It wasn't as bad as I'd anticipated.

One thing that I do is use some type A sealant (from Skygeek) to overcoat the rivets and edges, after I've used the regular type B stuff in between the surfaces. Type A has a thinner consistency, kind of like honey, and I use a plastic hardware-store syringe to apply it. On the rivets, the type A sealant ends up looking a bit like melted Hershey's Kisses.

Dave

Last edited:
Perfect - thanks guys... just ordered some Polygone. Looks like a great product.

Back