What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Well, I did it!

DarinFred

Hi folks! I really did it this time! I just ordered the preview plans for an RV-8. I finally decided to take the plunge. I am planning on going with a light VFR taildragger with a 200 hp engine. I'll let ya know how it goes...in 7 or 8 years.

First question...anyone know anything about planetools.com? They offer an RV tool kit with Klein and Snap On tools. If not, where should I buy my tools? (I know this should probably be in the tool forum...oh well!)

Jay

Welcome!

Welcome to the RV world!

I've not dealt with PlaneTools but others here have. I have dealt with http://www.cleavelandtool.com/snfsale.htm and the link here goes to a SNF sale they have on their RV kit. Might be worth checking out.

I'm not affiliated with them other than being in the same state but wish I had bought my kit from them originally. Seems I've replaced a lot of the cheaper tools with quality tools from Cleaveland.

Now just call up and order that empennage kit! ;)

I'm not real happy with their fluting pliers (plastic), I'm pretty sure they won't make it through the whole kit. Also not sure if the stuff they are selling really IS snap-on, I couldn't find any markings to indicate they are authentic. I am very happy with EVERYTHING I bought from Brown Tools though and you can't beat the free shipping.

Every aircraft tool I've collected over the past 14 years has come from Avery Tools. So far, I've never been disappointed.

There's a lot more competition in the tool business than there used to be, so I wouldn't be surprised if someone beats Avery's price, at least on some things. However, the service, and quality has been SO good, that I don't even look elsewhere.

Cheers,
Rusty (full of opinions)

Don't skimp on tools!

Jay,

This thread comes up time and time again. Learn from the 4000 of us who already started and don't skimp on tools. Goto a reputable supplier and get good stuff. I do not know about this vendor but if it looks cheaper than Avery and the other well known guys it probably is not going to get the job done very well.

If you want to save money on tools go buy cheap home use type bandsaws, drill presses, compressors and the like. Here in Australia the hardware stores ship this garbage over by the container load and sell cheap, often with a 3Y replacement if it breaks. This is where you save money and get some good tools that you could not afford otherwise (and save time on the building). If it breaks, go get another one. Don't do this with tools that will effect the quality of the job, i.e. air drill, drill bits, rivet gun, dies, bucking bars.

The kits (Avery is my experience) have most of what you need but not all. I have used pretty much everything in my kit and at times wished I had more.

If you plan on getting a slowbuild kit get a pneumatic squeezer from the start. Consider the DRDT2 dimpler particularly if you live in the US where freight will not kill you.

If you give up during or after the Emp, a reputable tool kit will sell quickly so you need not be concerned about laying out the cash.

Richard

Jay,

Although Planetools states that they sell Snap-on tools, you should be aware that Snap-On owns several lines of tools and what you get is probably not what you expect when you hear the Snap-On name. I have no direct experience with Planetools and cannot comment on them beyond that, but I can say that both Avery and Cleaveland tools are excellent and they stand behind everything they sell. For pneumatic tools, I would go to ClearAir tools.

Ditto what others have said about tools. When you spend the $ on better tools, you only feel the pain once, but if you go cheap, you'll feel the pain every time you use them.

If you want a light -8, consider skipping the 200HP. 50 Lbs for 12 HP over a good parallel valve 360 is not a good trade off, IMHO. But you've got a while to think about that.

Stick With Your Plans

Stick with your plans if you want no regrets later. It is apparent from your statement that you want performance. If you compromise on that desire you will forever be on the defensive because you know you compromised on what you really want. It is also pretty clear that all of the glamor instrument panel stuff is not important to you and the basic panel will suit you just fine without any post building remorse. One thing I should add is that aircraft judging currently places a lot of emphasis on glass panels but you should not build your special plane for judges.

For tools I never had a complaint about my tools from Avery or Aircraft Spruce & Specialty Co.

Bob Axsom

I wouldn't get hung up buying a kit from one supplier. Different sources have good deals on specific tools and some carry tools that others don't.
Example: rivet measuring gage from Clear Air tools. I like these better than any of the others.
My favorite suppliers are:

Brown Aviation (Dotco Mini air drill)
The Yard Store (Used pneunatic squeezer) (Right angle air drill)
Clear Air Tools (Rivet gages)
Avery Tools Lots of good stuff
Cleveland Tool Lots of good stuff (Edge rolling tool)
Stein Air (Electrical tools)
Don't forget about Van's too. and the DRTII dimpler is very nice.
Items in ( ) are items I bought from these suppliers
Besides, if you order a few things from each supplier look at all the cool catalogs you will accumulate. :)

Thanks!

Thanks for the advise! Let the tool buying adventure begin. I think I am going to buy from a hodge podge of suppliers. It's going to be a few months before I start the tail, so it will give me something to do!

Back