What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin Transponder software updates at Sun n Fun 2019

Jkkinz

Well Known Member
I emailed Garmin this morning to see if they were providing transponder updates at their tent this year. I just received an answer from Mike Huff saying that they will not be upgrading transponders this year.:(

I emailed Garmin this morning to see if they were providing transponder updates at their tent this year. I just received an answer from Mike Huff saying that they will not be upgrading transponders this year.:(

Hello JIm,
my apologies for not looking into this sooner. the PC that we have been using for years with the 9 pin serial port finally died during a test after EAA Airventure last year and I had failed to find another avenue for this until I was asked about this issue this morning. I told Mike at this point I don't have a PC to do this with at the shows and until i can procure one to use for this we would not be doing these updates. but I'm working with our IT teams to see if we can get this taken care of and I will post an updated if we can get this setup.

Trek,
Thanks for the quick response. I hope you are able to get a new PC to do the updates. I will be looking for your post.

Thanks everyone,
yes, we're aware of the adapters but have kept this old PC around simply due to issues we have with some of our installers who can't get them to work in their systems. this PC has been old reliable and always works with the 9 pin serial port interface and still does with the exception of the backlight no longer works. we could use it with a flashlight I guess :).

but we will have a PC there with or without an adapter to do these updates one way or another. we will be able to update GTX 23, 33, 330 and the GTX 3X5 units for experimental installations only.

let me know if there are any other questions.

I?m probably a version or 2 behind on my GTX 23 software. What?s the version number for this years update?

Thanks everyone,
yes, we're aware of the adapters but have kept this old PC around simply due to issues we have with some of our installers who can't get them to work in their systems. this PC has been old reliable and always works with the 9 pin serial port interface and still does with the exception of the backlight no longer works. we could use it with a flashlight I guess :).

but we will have a PC there with or without an adapter to do these updates one way or another. we will be able to update GTX 23, 33, 330 and the GTX 3X5 units for experimental installations only.

let me know if there are any other questions.

Trek,

I just received an email from Tim at G3Xpert that you will be doing software updates on GTX 45R's at Sun n Fun this year. Is this correct?

Back