What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GNS430 to 430W upgrade install

RhinoDrvr

Well Known Member
Hello,

I my GNS430 should be coming back soon as a GNS430W from Garmin. My understanding is that the reinstall should be as simple as;

1. Remove and Replace the GPS antenna with the included WAAS unit.
2. Replace current cable from antenna to 430 with an RG400 cable.
3. Slide the 430W into the current tray.
4. Enjoy the increased climb performance from a lighter wallet.

Are there any other steps to complete the install? I can?t find any instructions anywhere for upgrading from a 430 to 430W.

Also, is there any issue with flying the box for a few hours before replacing the antenna and coax? I?m planning on going to OSH and would like the second radio, and can do this work immediately post OSH.

While you?re behind the panel, ask if you need any more connections long-term. Easier to do now. For example, you can now use the 430W as a position source for ADSB-out. But you?ll need a wire from an unused RS232 output pin on the 430W.
I do not know the answer about using the old antenna. It?s not simple-the new antenna gets power up the coax.
I am surprised the original coax is not already RG400.

FYI Garmin does have a minimum length for the antenna coax, it?s for attenuation purposes, they require 3 to 7 dB. Page 3-10 in the install manual. It was pretty long as I recall.

Tim Andres

My current cable is 9? long, as the antenna is on the glareshield. Isn?t there some type of attenuator that could be installed in the cable so that I don?t have 13 feet of cable coiled up behind my panel? That seems like a very sloppy solution.

My current cable is 9? long, as the antenna is on the glareshield. Isn?t there some type of attenuator that could be installed in the cable so that I don?t have 13 feet of cable coiled up behind my panel? That seems like a very sloppy solution.

Yes, you can buy in-line attenuators. Good quality ones are more expensive than RG400. Also there is a specified insertion loss for every connector.

As you probably know a glare shield mounted antenna is not in compliance with the TSO.

Also in the install procedures is to verify through a range of com transmissions (of all on-board radios) that the gps signal is not corrupted. This is what often leads to needing a longer coax than is physically necessary, as I understand it.

For what it's worth, some people I know have swapped out their 430 to a 430W and didn't change anything, works just fine. I'm sure if you're looking for the installation to be certified than you'd have to change the antenna, cable and flights.

I was not aware of that. Where would I look to find the specifics of the GNS430W TSO? Is there a document I can reference?

For the TSO to be valid you need to install it in accordance with the Garmin installation manual. You can find it on the internet if they don’t give you a copy. The only approved antenna locations are all external. That doesn’t mean a glareshield location won’t work - but it’s up to you to show that that location meets all the TSO specs and tests.

Last edited:
How does that process work? Can you fly IFR if the avionics are not installed per the TSO, yet function 4.0? Where would I go to get smart on that?

Quite honestly I don?t think anyone, including the FAA, has figured out exactly what ?meets the TSO performance specs but is not TSO?d? means, or how to enforce it. As far as I can tell they?re just leaving you to do what you think is best.

Hello,

I my GNS430 should be coming back soon as a GNS430W from Garmin. My understanding is that the reinstall should be as simple as;

1. Remove and Replace the GPS antenna with the included WAAS unit.
2. Replace current cable from antenna to 430 with an RG400 cable.
3. Slide the 430W into the current tray.
4. Enjoy the increased climb performance from a lighter wallet.

Are there any other steps to complete the install? I can?t find any instructions anywhere for upgrading from a 430 to 430W.

Also, is there any issue with flying the box for a few hours before replacing the antenna and coax? I?m planning on going to OSH and would like the second radio, and can do this work immediately post OSH.

What's the cost these days to do this upgrade? I have a older non-waas 430 as well..

The other option is sell the 430 and purchase a 650, in the long run I think upgrading to the 650 is a better investment IMO.

Or better swap it out for the Avidyne 440, its a direct slide in, no work needed behind the panel except run an audio line to the audio panel if you want the audio alerts. To go from a 430 to a 650 would be a complete tray and harness swap out. But I agree, I dont know how long big G will continue go support the 430 and Id not put any big money in one.
Tim Andres

If you email G3xpert they should be able to assist without having to go through an avionics shop, for experimental anyway.

As you probably know a glare shield mounted antenna is not in compliance with the TSO.

That might be so but many Cirrus do it with twin GA35 WAAS antennas under the glareshield. And Garmin field engineers have allowed it for Bonanzas with the big broad windshield.

YMMV

Well, but the recommendation is on top of fuselage:
https://www.askbob.aero/node/436

That's a 10 year old notice and it has this section in it that is interesting... :)

The current receiver and antenna performance standards use a conservative estimate for intra-system noise environment and antenna gain patterns that provides significant signal margin. However, the margin available today will gradually decrease as new systems, signals, and satellites come on-line over the next decade. This decrease could potentially cause decreased LPV availability or loss of GPS/WAAS navigation on Cirrus aircraft with antennas mounted under the glareshield.

I dont know how long big G will continue go support the 430 and Id not put any big money in one.

Given the sheer number of 430s out there (I'm including 430W in that set), I'd bet that support for them will continue into the foreseeable future.

Given the sheer number of 430s out there (I'm including 430W in that set), I'd bet that support for them will continue into the foreseeable future.

Please take a moment to look at that statement, then tilt it over on its ear. From Garmin's perspective, imagine how much money you would make selling NEW GPS boxes if you dead-ended the 430 product?

At the end of the day, Garmin isn't concerned about disgruntled customers. They are concerned about disgruntled shareholders. Sales numbers are all that counts to large corporations, and Garmin will do anything to keep the sales numbers up.

The IFD440 would be my go-to product if I had a non-WAAS 430 installed in my airplane, and I'd give consideration to keeping the 430 in order to have a second VOR/ILS/COMM/non-precision GPS.

At the end of the day, Garmin isn't concerned about disgruntled customers. They are concerned about disgruntled shareholders. Sales numbers are all that counts to large corporations, and Garmin will do anything to keep the sales numbers up.

Not sure I fully agree with this. I do agree that shareholders are more important than customers, but you can't please shareholders if you have no customers to sell product to. the two objectives are inter-related. If Garmin EOL's (end of life) the 430, they agitate a lot of people, as they have guided their customers toward relatively long term support. Garmin cannot risk doing that to customers at this time, as it would drive a substantial portion of those customers to Avidyne (mostly from frustration and distrust) and that starts a trend that could hurt Garmins brand and marketshare. Just imagine if 1/2 of the 430 customers went to Avidyne for their 430 replacement. That rapidly propels Avidyne to a "Major player" in the GPS navigator space and gives them lots of new money to develop new things to compete with Garmin. I am confident that Garmin doesn't want to see Avidyne as anything but a bit player and supporting the 430 helps meet that goal. Things would be different if they hadn't pledged to support the 430 as long as parts were available or if the Avidyne wasn't a viable replacement option. I would expect them to treat their monopoly based customers differently than those exposed to competitive offerings.

Just my thoughts.

Larry

Last edited:
Back