What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GRT Hx fuel totalizer reset / adjust value?

mbuehler

In my RV4 (just acquired) I can see where to adjust the fuel level for the totalizer bar on the engine page, but I cannot get it to accept the change. If I choose a pre-selected number (32 gallons) nothing happens. If I try to add a quantity, it lets me select a number, but ignores it when I push the knob in again.

Is there a trick to this I'm missing?

Fuel

I always reset mine on the EIS, press the NEXT and DISPLAY buttons together.
Set the fuel and it will show on the EFIS.
I believe to do it the other way, the EIS has to be set to zero first then enter the numbers in the HX. Otherwise it reverts to the EIS number.

Wayne Millson
RV 10
275 hours and counting

In my RV4 (just acquired) I can see where to adjust the fuel level for the totalizer bar on the engine page, but I cannot get it to accept the change. If I choose a pre-selected number (32 gallons) nothing happens. If I try to add a quantity, it lets me select a number, but ignores it when I push the knob in again.

Is there a trick to this I'm missing?

I think IIRC you need to push the button below that column, not the knob, to accept the change.
Note added: as in the previous post, I usually re-set on the EIS

Last edited:
I'll have to look at my settings but you can definitely do it in the HXr. If I remember correctly you zero out the EIS gallons. I know it's in the SETMENU N THE HXr. If there is a value in the EIS you can only change the value in the HXr up to that value.

The way it works on mine is if I fill up, I press MORE, ENG and that brings up FULL on the left side or ADD FUEL on the right. You can then just press FULL or twist the right knob to increase by the number of gallons you added.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if this applies to the display models you are discussing, but on my WS, the max fuel value set in the EIS will over ride or limit the values available on the EFIS fuel totalizer display. I learned that by messing with EIS settings in turbulence :rolleyes:. Accidentally changed the max fuel value and then it took a couple of flights (fill ups) to figure out what I had done. As long as the EIS max fuel was set at 42, then the EFIS acted A-OK.

Last edited:
Under the Graphical Engine Display from the Set Menu about halfway down set the use EIS Total to Auto and set the Fuel Flow MAX FUEL to 42. (depending on your total available, 42 is for an RV8)

With these settings when you go to MORE, ENG, SET FUEL, it will bring up 42 over the left button, or, allow you, under the right button to SET FUEL. Then you can spin the right knob to set the new total by setting the amount actually on board.

The EIS setting that I have is MAX FUEL 42. It's about the 18th or so line down from the top when doing the EIS setup. Also, I think you need to go into the EIS and set the fuel on board to zero. You won't have to ever enter the EIS for fuel after this.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the information! I'm heading over to the hangar in a bit, and I'll give all of these a try. It worked for the owner and the ferry pilot, so I'm sure I'm missing something simple!:eek:

Quick follow up : I tried selecting a preset value, then hitting the button beneath which sent me to the PFD screen. Oddly though on the next attempt the normal way (just pushing the knob, selecting the value, then pushing it again) it worked and I've no idea why :) Hasn't failed since in three refuels, so whatever the problem was is solved now. Thanks!

Last edited:
Back