What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Larry Olson from KDVT is gone.....

Jetj01

Well Known Member
:( I just got the call that my good friend and RV-6 builder and flyer, Larry Olson, was killed in his RV-6. Details are still coming in but they found his aircraft with him and another in a lake North of Phoenix.

I met Larry while parking my Rocket at Deer Valley. He came up and asked if I needed a hanger to park for the night and gracioulsy offered space in his, which was appreciated. He had not completed his RV-6 yet but already had a hanger and liked the RV type company.

As he finished his RV I got to fly with him numerous times and his infectious smile and good natured personality just made him easy to like. He was a great ambassador for the RV community and took great pride in sharing his joy of flight and RVs with anyone interested.

I am in the military and just left a change of command. Printed in the back of the change of command program was the well know poem "HIGH FLIGHT." As a fighter pilot we sometimes take this poem to be written for our jet community, but reading it again this morning I realize it was written for guys like Larry too, it was him.....WAS him...it hurts!

HIGH FLIGHT

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds--and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of-
wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there.
I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue
I've topped the windswept heights with easy grace
Where never lark, or even eagle flew.
And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space...
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Oh Larry, I will miss our visits and our flights, you were a great friend and the world is a sadder place without you...

Tailwinds,

Jj

:(

Very saddened by your loss. Take heart in knowing he was doing something we all love so dearly.

Roberta

What happened

The preliminary information reveals a possible power line strike. Apparently there was a power outage and while checking to find the problem the wreckage was discover. A wing was found away from the main wreckage that went down in a river.

It is unknown if there was a structural problem and the plane hit the wires or if it was just a wire strike. Doesn't matter, two were lost. Both have been recovered.

Keep them in your thoughts and fly safely.

Larry and I built our RV's together...he was there for me whenever I needed a riveter, bucker, or beer drinker/observer. He was there on engine start day, and the first flight. Just the other day we were talking about the dreams we had of us having our hangar doors open (our hangars face eachother) after a day flight and having a bbq at night at the airport...he told me to hurry up and get back from deployment so we could pick up where we left off. Compassionate guy, great pilot, and outstanding friend. You'll be missed, Larry. Hope you still monitor the list.

Here's a pic of Larry toasting to the first flight of my RV. He's the cool cat on the right with the sun glasses. Godspeed brother.

Paul Besing
toast.jpg

Back