What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

50th birthday party at 53VG on June 7th 2014 (RD is the 8th) !

humptybump

Well Known Member
I'm turning 50 in early June and rather than going all geriatric, I've decided to celebrate !

I'm throwing a 50th birthday party cookout at 53VG on the 7th of June 2014 (rain date is Sunday the 8th).

There will be plenty of hamburgers, hot dogs, authentic boston baked beans, beverages, and a collection of home made ice creams.

If you are not sure about landing on a short grass runway or if the winds are a challenge, KMFV if just 2.5 miles away and we can pick you up!

For those traveling any distance, there is sleeping accommodations for up to 8 (assuming some of those involved are cohabitants) for either Friday or Saturday night - just email me if you want to stay over. It's FCFS.

You can check out the "airport diagram" at http://53VG.com an you can PM me here or via email for any questions.

I hope you can help celebrate the airport bum turning 50!

Much better reason for a meet and greet (finally) than imposing for a lunch. My wife and I are in, pending her June schedule. :)

Things are shaping up!

There's a threat of home brew beer arriving for those choosing to overnight. There will be a movie shown on the 10' screen in the hangar. We're a democracy so votes will be tallied for one of the following:

Air America
Red Tails
Planes
Always​

Sounds Great!

Glen,

I put the date on the calendar! Wife will be out of town...but I will be there!

Maybe if it works out good you can have a couple more 50th birthday celebrations this summer:D

Things are shaping up!

There's a threat of home brew beer arriving for those choosing to overnight. There will be a movie shown on the 10' screen in the hangar. We're a democracy so votes will be tallied for one of the following:

Air America
Red Tails
Planes
Always​

Hi Glen,
How about some classics like: Dr Strange love
Catch 22
Bomber B52
Right Stuff
Spirit of St Louis

Strange love or catch 22 are outstanding choices. Tent camping OK? Can I bring anything?
RHill

Going to try to join the party ..... Although, I'm having the 17th anniversary of my 50th BD a few days later. :D :D

Hope to see you there boys....

Those interested in over-nighting are welcome to tent. There are also beds for two couples and two individuals and ample floor space in the bunkroom on the second floor of the "farmhouse".

Things are shaping up!

There's a threat of home brew beer arriving for those choosing to overnight.

Ten gallons of threat bubbling away at 50*, and I vote Always.

0DO5Cpul.jpg

Last edited:
Three weeks to go!

I hope the weather cooperates and a lot of pilots will make it in - This Airport Bum is actually getting excited to turn 50!

For those who have not watched the video yet, I encourage checking out http://53vg.com

If a short grass strip with trees at one end is not in your standard bag of tricks or the winds don't cooperate, then KMFV is jist 2.4 miles away and the farm truck will be doing shuttle service!

The kitchen has been busy experimenting :eek: ... there will be good eats for sure!

PS: anyone wanting to stay over, please drop me a note. There is plenty of space ( which gracefully degrades in comfort on a FCFS basis :D from queen beds to floor )

Happy birthday!

Hello Glen,
I hope you have a good turnout. I have to work that weekend and I sold my Rallye, so I would'nt have transportation anyway. I did consider having Peter fly from Virgina to my house back to your house. That would only add about 900 miles to a 20 mile trip for him. Would that be asking too much?:)

Happy birthday!
Marvin

Last edited:
900 miles for a 20 mile trip ? Sound's like a perfect "Vlad trip". Sorry you won't make the event. Vlad and I will need to fly out to "excersize" your iGate :D

10 days to go !

• the hangar is cleaner than its been in 5 years :p
  • I've perfected the "extra juicy" burger recipe :)
  • yes, there will be home made ice cream (4 flavors) :D
  • the movie screen is up and the projector is warming up :cool:
  • the runway is looking better each day :rolleyes:

For those who prefer 4,000ft of pavement to 1,900ft of grass with trees at the end, KMFV is very close and I'm planning to shuttle.

Visitors are welcome to stay the night (before or after) - just drop me a note so we fit everyone in. There are four beds and then it's sleeping bags on floors :eek:

20140528-143759-52679142.jpg

Runway 03​

If you want to see the flight pattern or check out the airport diagram, visit 53VG.com.

Congratulations and welcome to the club, Glen! I just turned 50 on 6 May.

Too far for me to attend but I hope you have a great turnout and a great party!

Marvin - you and your better half will be missed. We'll be sure to toast your absence. We can plan the next 50th for your place ! Vlad and I oh you a visit anyway ... and with my "long range RV-8" it will be easy :cool:

The farmhouse and the hangar are clean (unbelievable)!

With the fear of the gods in mind, the weather for the 7th is looking positive for Saturday.

No hard times - to accommodate pilots near and far. Burgers will start exiting the kitchen starting around 11am.

There are 5 ice creams ready (mocha chip, peppermint stick, Andes Mint chip, English Toffee crunch, and 'you got your chocolate in my peanut butter ice cream').

Land at 53VG or KMFV and call/radio to request a lift.

Watch for the Turkey Buzzards :eek:

I will bring some of this for the birthday boy. If anyone is staying saturday night I am sure we can get Glen to share. The White Whiskey makes great Margaritas!!
4k8xvm.jpg

Kegged the ten gallons of beer today, with a taste to track progress.

"Se?or Glen's Mexican Pilsner" seems like it will be just fine if the bubbles jump into it properly.

"Big Five Oh Texas Bock" might not be proper, needing a bit more time, but throwing bubbles at that as well, we shall see.

Mike - great names!

I'm sure they are both head and shoulders above what I was drinking to celebrate getting my wings - Tecate :eek:

tecate_380.jpg

Looks good for the weekend!

Hey Glen looks like the wx is looking to give you some great weekend flying wx for a present!:) look forward to it!

Going to try to join the party .....

Hope to see you there boys....

Well, I am out. It was not in the cards this year. I had to do a quick turn and burn from Georgia back to Ohio. Sorry Glenn.

A HUGE Happy 50th Birthday to you. Sorry I am going to miss to gang, well, mostly the libations. :D

Weather is looking good for the weekend
Any one else staying overnight Sat. ---sampling the Whiskey, Rum, and Vlad approved Vodka?

Jeff - in addition to the "over nighters" there are also some "locals" coming over for the Movie in the Hangar. They will all arrive BYO (and with more food). You might convince a couple to taste test your craft ;)

Hi Everyone! Food will be exiting the kitchen by 11AM.

Feel free to arrive early and hang out or arrive just in time!

We are up at Niagra Falls with all of the kids - bummed that we can't make it !
Have a great time, and Happy Birthday.

Keith

Best laid plans and all that . . .

Arrived at the hangar this morning to see evidence of a not insignificant oil leak somewhere. Seem to have narrowed it down to the filter adapter, but no amount of snugging things up could get me through a test run to my satisfaction. Once I started hearing myself say things like "It's only a thirty minute flight . . ." I knew it was time to hang up the plans for the day.

Congrats on the birthday, you were truly blessed by the weather gods, hope it was fun for all!

Now I have no excuse to not mow the too tall grass. However, I must prep for the hour and a half experience first:

99ktHUMl.jpg

Last edited:
I am still on the ground waiting for Jack, an RV10 driver from Washington state. As soon as he gets to NJ we will be heading your way with approximate eta of 6 pm or later. We will fly over your strip then he goes to Accomack and I will be on the grass shortly. Two overnighters and starving... :)

Added ; This is the RV10 I am waiting for http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N819DJ

Last edited:
Happy Birthday Glen!

Glen,

It was a pleasure to finally have the chance to meet you. The weather today was perfect for a mid-day flight, and you live in a wonderful location. I'm jealous! I hope to see you again soon, and tell Vlad hi for me. Sorry I missed him.

Thank you also for your hospitality. Great company, great food, and even better ice cream.

Best regards,

Fernando

PS - Here are a handful of pictures from your place. The row of 6 RVs looked great in your front lawn.

https://plus.google.com/photos/1082...ms/6022375079480196865?authkey=CN3X_N_Bx6TcKw

Great time

Glen, thanks for your warm hospitality and sharing your beautiful place. Here are some pics.

Six RVs sparkling in the sunshine

tpfp.jpg

Glen's RV-8 in the cavernous hangar.

9ubv.jpg

The runway is on the other side of those trees on the left.

jur3.jpg

Looking back at the hangar/house.

r9vc.jpg

Mugsy zooms overhead on his way home.

z9ix.jpg

Scanning the skies in search of Vlad.

pwz0.jpg

Great pics Bill & Ralph. I'll add mine in a day or so.

I'm feeling quite old today. Something about the over-nighters keeping me up past 1AM! I thought it only appropriate to return the "favor" by starting my day in the kitchen at my usual time of 5AM :D

Thanks Glen for having us

Yes, some overnighters overdid it I feel bad :eek: But we solved all world's problems, settled Cold War cases and sorted out most territorial disputes. :)

Back