What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Notable bridges

tc1234c

Well Known Member
Reading Vlad's bridges of NYC thread brought back a lot of fond memories of places traveled. How about interesting bridges you have flown over/by.

Longest in the US: Lake Pontchartrain Causeway, 126,122 ft

IMG_3596.JPG

2nd longest in the US, George Washington Bridge, NYC, 4,760 ft
IMG_2777.JPG

US 1 Bridges connecting Florida Keys
IMG_6783.JPG

Bridge over Chesapeake Bay
IMG_0034.JPG

Fascinating subject

I have quite a collection too.

Hoover Dam Bypass. The Mike O?Callaghan ? Pat Tillman Memorial Bridge.

Rainbow Bridge by Niagara Falls.

The Dalles Bridge by Columbia Gorge OR.

New River Gorge Bridge WV.

A bridge Dan Horton's grandfather built :)

The Bridges of Pittsburgh PA.

Charles Cullen Bridge DE

More to come...

A little bit north of New York...

Not NYC, but maybe this one is a little younger (1898) than the Brooklyn...

bridge.jpg

(Marchand Bridge. Village of Fort Coulonge (Mansfield-et-Pontefract). Chemin de la Station. Coulonge River. 6 spans. 152.1 metres (499 feet). )

Last edited:
The unnamed bridge appears to be the one at Indian River Inlet in Delaware, right? Never mind, I just realized it is a second pic of the Charles Cullen Bridge, which is one and the same.

Last edited:
Bear Mountain Bridge NY on a hot muggy afternoon.

Ben Franklin Bridge, Philadelphia.

White River Bridge, West Virginia

IMG_1639.JPG

Mackinac Bridge, MI
IMG_0014.JPG

Golden Gate Bridge, CA
IMG_7761.JPG

Bay Bridge, CA
IMG_7642.JPG

Was thinking how nice it would be to get a few shots of the DC bridges over the Potomac then I came back to reality that it will never happen, at least from an RV :(

Neat posting guys. Does anyone have a picture taken from an RV while under a cool bridge :D

Under a bridge?

Capt Lappo flew his RB-47 under the 200 foot clearance of the Mackinaw bridge (Big Mac) in 1959. He never flew for the Air Force again!

Last edited:
Dunn Memorial Bridge, Albany NY.

The Bridges of Boston. From on top of Class Bravo airspace :)

Roosevelt Bridge, Stuart FL. Actually old Roosevelt bridge is visible too.

OK maybe not a bridge...

Yeah I know it's not a picture of a bridge but is is a picture taken from my RV-4, does that count? And the Arch is sort of a bridge to the West.......

2d7fxwg.jpg

That would be Gateway to the West. If you would have waited a second or two you would have gotten a picture of Eads Bridge, first over the Mississippi and the Bridge to the West.

Forth Bridges - Edinburgh

Two for the price of one. Wait a couple of years and I'll get you three for the price of one!

335doxf.jpg

2yxgeq8.jpg

Cheers...Keith

Tappan Zee Bridge, NY. This is the old bridge construction of a new colossal structure is about to begin...

Rendering of 2017 Super Jumbo.

Tappan Zee Bridge, NY. This is the old bridge construction of a new colossal structure is about to begin...

I piloted under this bridge! Although, it was on the CGC KATHERINE WALKER and we were resetting those buoys that are just visible. That was before flight training when conning buoy tenders was my specialty. Great to see it from the air!

I piloted under this bridge! Although, it was on the CGC KATHERINE WALKER and we were resetting those buoys that are just visible. That was before flight training when conning buoy tenders was my specialty. Great to see it from the air!

Matt then you piloted under this bridge too :D

Pictures courtesy of Greg.

Last edited:
landing at L41

Ed,
When you land at L41 can you taxi over by the restaurant and or the motel?
Do they have fuel?

Runway?

Ed,

Is the runway the dark strip by your wing? What orientation is the picture. I have wanted to fly into Marble for awhile, just wanted to get a feel for what the runway looks like.

cheers

Geoff, to answer your runway question.... Not too good in my opinion. Have landed lots of times there. If you land down at the SW end, it is not bad for a while. Sort of frost heaves here and there but generally smooth. Up at the parking end it gets really choppy. I almost shut down and pulled the plane the last 100 yards last time I was there. It is used regularly by Dornier's out of Vegas and Page to drop river runners there. A tail dragger would be better. My Luscombe loved it. A nose dragger... just stop before it gets lumpy.

Landing Fee?

The A/FD says that there's a landing fee. Know how much it is?

Also, A/FD says that the first 1,000' rwy 03 is 'rough and badly rutted'.

Boy, does that sound inviting! :confused:

White River Bridge, West Virginia

IMG_1639.JPG

In younger and stupider days I walked the construction/maintenance catwalk under this bridge. Its making me nervous thinking about it now! Open steel grate, limited hand rails, gaps, wobbly, REALLY wobbly when heavy traffic overhead.

You couldn't have got a pin up my :eek: with a sledgehammer!

This one is in France, the Loire River side canal is crossing the Loire at Briare.
Ships are crossing the river via a bridge.

large_Vol_155_1_bdaff.jpg

Last edited:
In younger and stupider days I walked the construction/maintenance catwalk under this bridge. Its making me nervous thinking about it now! Open steel grate, limited hand rails, gaps, wobbly, REALLY wobbly when heavy traffic overhead.

You couldn't have got a pin up my :eek: with a sledgehammer!

There is a small field just to the N. of this bridge that my grandfather built years ago. It's where I learned to fly. It's marked as Pvt, but my grandmother and a couple uncles still live and fly around there and have never turned away a visitor. Coordinate to land there and they'll gladly give you a ride over to Class VI River Runners to ride the the whitewater of the New or Gauley Rivers. New River Gorge airport is the name and further info is available if you want to PM me. Or go by 14 Oct and watch crazies parachute off the bridge into the Gorge below - in the '80 and early '90's planes and tents lined both sides of the runway all weekend. Oh, for the days of inexpensive avgas... Google New River Gorge Bridge Day 2014
Patrick

Last edited:
D5BD8DA1-3C33-4888-A7C2-AD3C1783D6CA.jpg

notable to me, stuart florida us1 roosevelt bridge. italian design builts very fast.

The Sidney Lanier Bridge into Brunswick, GA -

bridge_zps59197ea4.jpg

The road on the left goes to Jekyll Island and the summer homes of the rich and famous in the 20's - before air conditioning...:)

Sunshine Skyway at the mouth of Tampa Bay

Morning light. Need try this one again in the afternoon with the sun shining from the west. The suspension cables are a yellow gold color and make for a beautiful photo when visible.

skyway8-3-14medium_zps75ba2312.jpg

Last edited:
Green Island Bridge by Albany, NY.

Somewhere in Vermont couldn't find the name :)

Duluth MN :D

Everybody knows this one. Posted many times :)

Last edited:
Vlad's Vermont bridge.

That's the Crown Point bridge between New York and Vermont across Lake Champlain just north of Ticonderoga NY. Nice photos Vlad.

Lions Gate Bridge across the inlet into Vancouver Harbour, BC.

Lions-gate_zps03a965a0.jpg

Bridges from Mississippi to Louisiana at Vicksburg, MS. Old Hwy. 80 road/rail bridge closest and newer I-20 freeway bridge on far side.

Vicksburg_zps3b92951a.jpg

These two bridges on Hwy. 60may not be too notable, but the two mighty rivers they cross are. The Mississippi, closest, is joined by the Ohio river at Cairo, IL. Kentucky, Illinois and Missouri meet at this location, a famous spot in the history of the US when the rivers were the airways of their time.

ohio-river_zps1915a041.jpg

Last edited:
Back