What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IO 360 M1A for RV-7A

witek

Well Known Member
Hello,
Question for all Lycoming engine guru's.

I plan to buy IO360 M1A (the same as M1B but propeller governor on front of the crankcase). This is quite popular version of Lycoming here in Europe because used in DA 40 Diamond.
Should I expect any serious problems if I want to install this engine in RV7A with standard Vans finishing kit, especially if I want to install CS propeller as well?

Thanks
Witek

IO 360 M1A for RV-7A additional explanation

Hello,

Additional explanation to my problem:

As mentioned below the propeller governor in this engine is located on front of the crankcase and I afraid if the standard Vans cowl will be suitable for this engine configuration. There is possible conflict between the propeller governor on front of the crankcase and the air filter which is located in the same place for engines with horizontal and forward induction.

Here I found alternative Cowl & Plenum for RV7A which should be more suitable for this configuration:
http://www.jamesaircraft.com/679Cowls.html

Do you have any experience in this matter?

Thank you in advance.
Witek

Witek,
There are RVs with forward mounted prop governors.
My understanding is that it is more common on the RV10 than other models but I do know some other models with the forward governor.

There will be some customization in order to accomodate it but there has not been a lot of commentary on VAF about it so one could assume the customization is not too extensive. I would certainly consider it if the engine price is worthwhile.

I believe it clears the filter but does not clear the fiberglass "ramp" on the inside of the upper cowl. You may have to add a clearance "bump" to the upper cowl. The prop control cable would be custom. Pay attention to the direction of travel of the lever on the pump. There was commentary about the need to reverse the action.

Doesn't the IO-390 have the same governor setup? If so, it seems like you could borrow some of the same ideas. The fact that people have successfully used that engine in the RV-7 is encouraging. (but double check first!)

mcb

I believe you are right Matt.

Since it is stock for the RV-14, it would be natural to look there for parts to buy for the "customization" of alternate RVs.

Prop. Governor

Worry not, I installed an O-360 A1P off an Aviat Husky and the cowl fits just fine. All it takes is a hole saw to cut the opening and some glass later. Look at the Piper Seminole.
Cheers
Walt

Back