What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

3rd Annual Cedar Meadows fly-in

SMRacer

Well Known Member
Patron
4th Annual Cedar Meadows fly-in, RESCHEDULED Jun 4, 2016

The Mid-Atlantic has had an unusual amount of rainfall this spring. And more is expected this week. The grounds are simply too soft to support the traffic.
Thus we've rescheduled to:

Saturday June 4, 2016

Add this grass strip to your resume.

Located just a few miles from either Winchester, VA or Martinsburg, WV.

We had about 15 airplanes last year, let's see if we can do better.

Lunch at 11am until everything and everyone is gone. Catered BBQ, no charge or donation.

RW 9/27 (left traffic) is good turf 3000' X 80' and we monitor 122.9. Cedar Meadows is not on the sectional, so find Highview (61VA) and we are about 1 mile NE. RW 09/27 parallels the RR tracks. There is another N/S grass strip north of the RR tracks...don't land there.

Rest room available. Camping is authorized. Building lots available.

Jim
N444JT RV-4
N37PK RV-8

Last edited:
Jim,

I could use a lat/long fix. I don't know the area at all. Looks like an interesting day trip from VKX where I hanger my RV7.

Robert

Lat/Long

Coordinates I use:

Lat 39.243059 N Long 77.991131 W

Or the old fashioned way:

Martinsburg VOR (112.1) 225 degrees at 12.4 miles.

Highview can be hard to find, but the best landmark is Summit Point Motorsports Park. The photo I uploaded was taken looking down RW 27 right over the race track complex.

Jim

Thanks for the coordinates. I hope to see you all there. I might even check out a couple of the available home lots. I'm nearing retirement and would love having my plane in the "garage."

Robert
RV7

Would try to arrive with a Formation Flight again but I am signed up to help out with a Formation Clinic in Lee's Summit the same weekend.

Coordinates I use:

Lat 39.243059 N Long 77.991131 W

Or the old fashioned way:

Martinsburg VOR (112.1) 225 degrees at 12.4 miles.

Highview can be hard to find, but the best landmark is Summit Point Motorsports Park. The photo I uploaded was taken looking down RW 27 right over the race track complex.

Jim

If you use Foreflight on the iPad, the airport can be found with the above Lat Long and setting a waypoint. Can then toggle back to Sectional.

2014-05-19101820_zps2855607d.png

In typical fashion, Jim was doing a fine job officiating his own B-Day fly-in!

I had to bug out early but there was already 10 RV's, a Super Decathelon, and a Bell Ranger!

Pictures will follow ;)

It was a good time, good food, and good company. Thanks again Jim for hosting and hopefully I'll see everyone at my fly-in soon.

I arrived a bit later this time. Had to check out a brand spanking new PIC and an RV enthusiast. If he could land an RV with nose wheel on Jim's grass strip anybody can. Gary was that you calling me slow? :D:D

It was great time as usual. I've heard there was a bombing range setup near Jim's hangar and everybody did well.

Mike, I am still laughing at that joke :D

Guys come up north on Aug 1st on Fred&Tim private strip by Syracuse NY. Take your passports we may end up in Canada for the night :D

Last edited:
Fun times at Jim's Birthday Bash at Cedar Meadows yesterday. I think Vlad wins the award for keeping his nosewheel off the ground for the longest duration during a landing:

DSCN4075.JPG

But that's not hard to do since he was the only nosedragger in attendance!

It's been a while since I last saw my good friend Vlad - Rangely, ME nearly 2 years ago?
DSCN4076.JPG

A great day with an outstanding group of RV'ers.
DSCN4077.JPG

In typical fashion, Jim was doing a fine job officiating his own B-Day fly-in!

I had to bug out early but there was already 10 RV's, a Super Decathelon, and a Bell Ranger!

Pictures will follow ;)

Where's them there pictures Glen? Unfortunately, the only pictures I got were of the chicken tubes. :D

Cedar Meadows

Here are some pics from Cedar Meadows 2015 fly-in for you ...

2z86o76.jpg

Glen taxiis out in the Devastator.
14uw9ok.jpg

Condor's RV-6 and Jolly's RV-7
xba53q.jpg

2mm8qk0.jpg

2vmek9u.jpg

1ftowm.jpg

Tulip & Chef inbound in "Lookin Good". Notice Mark I Mod 0 Rubber Chicken Launching Device underneath left wing.
2i9t1yo.jpg

RV pilots milling about.
2evaolx.jpg

Jim's old ride.
30arqll.jpg

Jim's new ride.
1z2m9nb.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Bill.

Is it an illusion, or is there something funky with Vlads horizontal stabs in the last picture?

Rescheduled June 4, 2016

Last year's thread, so don't be confused. I think the current year information was deleted.

4th Annual Cedar Medows fly-in rescheduled to June 4, 2016.

Anyway, make sure you note the new date.

Thanks! You will want to get the new date publicized. I spoke to at least one pilot yesterday who asked if I would be there on the 21st.

I'll update my calendar to the 4th !

Hi all,
I'm new to the forum. I had the pleasure of riding a friend's RV-4 a few years back in Ohio.
Now starting flight lessons. Pretty much with all my hobbies, I enjoy building the contraption as much as using it, so thinking about starting the long road on a RV-7A in a few months.

Do you guys mind if a non-owner swings by for a look? My younger son is starting lessons with me, but has never seen an RV in person.

We live in Purcellville and have a place near Martinsburg - taking lessons at KMRB.

Thanks in advance, and if this is more of an owner group event - understood. Will hopefully hook up with some of the local guys down the road.

I sneaked into his field unnoticed a month or so ago. Couldn't recognize the place so many changes and work in progress. He might not finish and has to cancel his BD flyin :D

Back