What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-3B wing rear spar attach assembly

pekuba1610

The short W-306 D Aluminum-Bar is sandwiched between the W-306 B and W-306 C.

In real life the bar is 3/32 smaller than in the drawing.

Using the spacing from the plan, the rivets are extremely near to the edge of the W-306 D bar. Does this matter anything, in this case the piece is sandwiched between the two others, which keep the minimum edge distance?
Or should I move the two AN470-4 away from the bars edges, keeping the m.e.dist. from the bars edge? Doing so the edge distance to the 306 B & C increases.

Peter

Last edited:
I believe I made up my own W-306D spacers.
I made them the same height as the W-306C bar - 1 1/2"
Not sure if it matters, they are spacers.

The edge distance is most important.

Mark

The edge distance is most important.
I would agree in many circumstances ED is important. However, in this case, the part is just a spacer, and the Vans plan clearly show ED not being met.

It's rather like a washer in a Bolt/Nut assembly. The washer does not have the correct ED, because it is not under the type of load requiring it. I see this spacer in the same way...

Happy to be corrected by the more knowledgeable structural experts ;)

306C

I would agree in many circumstances ED is important. However, in this case, the part is just a spacer, and the Vans plan clearly show ED not being met.

It's rather like a washer in a Bolt/Nut assembly. The washer does not have the correct ED, because it is not under the type of load requiring it. I see this spacer in the same way...

Happy to be corrected by the more knowledgeable structural experts ;)

It is more than just a spacer, it transfers the loads from the 306C into the spar web(306A) I would not compromise size of spacer by even 3/32" when the material is available for a few dollars a foot.

It is more than just a spacer, it transfers the loads from the 306C into the spar web(306A) I would not compromise size of spacer by even 3/32" when the material is available for a few dollars a foot.
Nor would I, but the plans call for a 1 1/4" spacer, and the part is 1 1/4" - so there is no compromise?

well I'm referring to the edge distance of W-306C.
If your spacer material came 1 1/4 " that's what the plan call out
for, and they leave the rivet space distance up to the builder.
Of course maintaining W-306C E.D.

Its been a while, but I think I felt better with 1 1/2" spacer material height.

Mark

Thank you guys. I also think Vans wouldn't supply the bar as it is, if there is something wrong with the dimensions. I also wouldn't mind fabricating the 3/32 larger spacer, but I simply don't have the material and shipping takes up to 6 weeks to Europe. Nevertheless if it regards the safety of the rear spar, I don't mind to wait even if I think that it does not compromise the stability.
Finally there are still some ribs to straighten and to flute in these weeks :).
I've also sent an email to Vans and asked them what they suggest. I'll keep you updated.

Peter

There was no reply from the support team.

Even if I'm sure the smaller bar is ok as a spacer, I ordered a lager one at Wicks.
It was only 4.50 $/ foot :)
.... shipping to Europe was 41 $ :mad:
Lesson learned.

Peter

OK these I will remember. Next thing, before jigging the main spars, I'll also check the steel spar doublers and the other match drilled parts of the center section.

Back