What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 Weight & Balance

SHIPCHIEF

Well Known Member
I searched, but didn't get a result;
What is a "good" weight & balance?
I checked out our EAA 326 chapter scales, and did a preliminary weight & balance, and entered the data on an RV-8 spreadsheet I found on google ;)
I still need to add the radios, wing fairings, interior covers & seat cushions, but now the empty weight is 1073 lbs. the balance spreadsheet allows aerobatics with 225 lb pilot (me) and full fuel. Or full fuel, 50 lb front baggage & 250 lb back seater.
I would like some input on what to expect, what RV-8 builders are finding on their own planes, engine size, battery location, prop type, W&b stuff and how it effects your utility?

Scott e_mail me -> [email protected], I'll send you my W&B excel worksheet and the list of equipment with weight and arm

I checked out our EAA 326 chapter scales, and did a preliminary weight & balance, and entered the data on an RV-8 spreadsheet I found on google ;)
I still need to add the radios, wing fairings, interior covers & seat cushions, but now the empty weight is 1073 lbs. the balance spreadsheet allows aerobatics with 225 lb pilot (me) and full fuel. Or full fuel, 50 lb front baggage & 250 lb back seater.
I would like some input on what to expect, what RV-8 builders are finding on their own planes, engine size, battery location, prop type, W&b stuff and how it effects your utility?

Scott,
Here is a link thread to a google database started by Dan Checkoway .

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=83462&highlight=database+weight

Scott...

From my experience / hearsay on flying RV-8s, a list of who has what Wt/CG is not what you are after, but how it actually affects flying, and maybe at a point you can still affect it?

The declared CG envelope is quite realistic, except maybe at the front end. A flying (not empty) CG forward of 80" is hard to land 3 point, and is not as pleasant to fly (heavy in pitch) as an RV-8 should be.

At the aft Aeros limit it is a delight to fly, but getting twitchy in pitch in manoeuvres, and not somewhere to be "learning aeros" - easy to overstress.

At the Aft limit the weight on the tailwheel is by definition a lot, and I would avoid operating on rough surfaces to ensure the rudder was not banged etc.

If you intend to fly the aircraft in various configurations, and obey the envelope, the "problem areas" tend to be 1600lbs v 2 up aeros (watch the fuel weight), and aft aeros CG limit with a large friend ;)

For touring / baggage use the fwd/aft distribution to solve problems, avoid creating them :eek:

Thanks every one of you. Each offered a valuable data point or insight, which will help me place the final items as I close up for the big inspection.

Back