What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What else do you fly? Fun thread.

Craig-

Welcome from a fellow 170 Association member. Are you building?
I'm using my '48 170 as a tailwheel trainer and time builder before the -8 is done.

Thomas
-8 wings

My current list....

For me, my previous list is long and maybe boring to some. But, my current list I fly, is exciting every time I fly any of my B-757, B-767, Kitfox Vixen , that I have the honor of winning Best Workmanship @ Sun N Fun, and the extreme honor to be featured in THE EXPERIMENTER in 2001.(This is a fast 120 knot Kitfox!), and of course, my most recent favorite, N331JH, Jim Headberg?s RV-10 I helped him finish (The Monarch Butterfly).

Challenger ultralight around 350 hrs.on it. own 1 and built 5 0f them. Lots of fun, skis and floats. One day I was showing 2 mph on the gps not sure which direction.
Have flown Cherokee 140,warrior,c-152,172 have some stick time on DC-3
Twin Otter, C-185,turbo beaver , DH single otter ,Canadair Tutor, RV 4 & 8 and a bunch of other stuff over the years. It's all good :)

RV 8
Working on fuselage

My history list is long as well, but currently fly Diamond G1000 DA-40 (neat), DA-20 (fun!), and King Air 200 for work (yawn). Also, whatever I happen to have in inventory at work, but wouldn't call any of those regular.

Update on F-4

Many F-4s are now retrofitted with radio controls and flown as QF-4 drones in various places including White Sands, China lake and Eglin for A-A missile development. We splashed several of them on the AIM-9X program alone. Very fun times while doing the flight testing, but very sad seeing these F-4s going down an a ball of flames.

fun flying

I fly a Piper J4 that I restored a few years back (maybe 6). I just sold a 220HP Rallye that is a true STOL. One person with light fuel and a 100-150 foot take off is easy. Coming in for a landing is just as good, get the slats out the flaps down and let it sink with power and you can stop in 200-250 feet. I sold the Rallye in part to help pay for the 9A I am building. I don't know what I'll do with the J4 once the 9A is done. There is so much difference in the way they fly that I may be doing myself a favor by parking the J4 for a while. I love that little plane and I don't think I can sell it.
51HS RV9-A getting ready to paint. (soon)

Currently left seat on A340-600, A340-300 and A330-300 (yes, all on the same ticket), my own F1 Rocket and own T6. 9000 hours B747-400 and 20000 tt.

Current ride is a T-34. A great ride so I haven't figured out why I'm building a 7A instead of an 8! (I really do know).

As far as F-4's: the Marine Corps still has an active depot repair line for the lead sled and the J-79 engine. Lots of work getting them ready for Lt. NOLO to fly.

Jekyll

Our RV-6 shares hangar space with the Cessna 120 I've owned for 36 years. I've also been trying to get the hang of a N3N that belongs to a friend. The N3N has a non steerable, full swiveling tailwheel. You lock it straight for take-offs and landings. You steer with brakes, rudder and power when the tailwheel is unlocked. No club house turns off the runway. You handle with care. It is a rudder airplane in flight. The wires sing to you if your turns aren't coordinated.

Bob Severns

my 172

My other plane is a 1966 172G which I have owned for twenty years and have had all kinds of fun in flying myself and my kids all over the country. I got lucky and was able to fly pipeline patrol in it for five years which was great fun. Now I am ashamed to say it is playing second fiddle to my 6 project and with the high price of fuel I have only flown it about 12 hrs all year. I am tempted to sell it but have become emotionally attached to it and can't bring my self to do it.

Keeps my feet in practice..

Maybe this is why it's taking so long to finish my -7. At least it keeps my feet in practice. It my Wolf Boredom Fighter which I've been flying since '99 with about 240 hours so far.

BF_JAN00_frontabove.jpg

The Talon

Current steed is the mighty T-38C Talon. Just like scotch, she only gets better with age! Nothing like cruising at 390 with a healthy tailwind showing 630 knots groundspeed!

Last edited:
Currently flying B-757s and 767s domestic and internationally. Past aircraft include the A-320,319s, B727,B737, Shorts 3-30 (looks like a box), Twin Otters, and just about everything Piper and Cessna have ever made. Soloed in a C-150 in 1972. Owned a Corbin Baby Ace, Bellanca Citabria, and just recently sold a classic 1960 Cessna 172A. The 23rd airframe of the new "swept tail" 172s.

LOVE taildraggers tho'... used to tow banners in a Piper PA-12 in Florida, and the best part is a buddy's Stearman that I get to fly from time to time!

Can't wait to get my -8 finished!!

Jeff
-8 wings

Prelude to my RV-9

Lear 35, Falcon 10, DC-8, DC-9, B-737 with some Stinson and Stearman and N3N in between. All I can think about is flying my RV-9 (soon).

John

Started in Citabrias (current), Cub and Super Cub on floats, Mooney, Symphony 160 (current), Arrow, Extra 300L (current), Decathalon and getting started on my -4 rebuild.

Pred Driver

When I'm not flying this:

402BD

I'm flying one these:

MQ-1 Predator

Why just this morning I was flying a combat mission over Iraq from over 7,000 miles away. Isn't that something?

-Martin

P.S. If any of you will be at Oshkosh and would like to learn more about Predator operations, I'll be giving a presentation entitled "Flying the Predator at Home and Abroad." My time slot is Tuesday morning at 10AM. I'm not sure of the location but it'll be published in Forums guide.

Uav

MartinPred said:
Why just this morning I was flying a combat mission over Iraq from over 7,000 miles away. Isn't that something?
A heck of a lot better than flying the mission from Iraq!

What else do I fly?

After 20 years in the USN flying the A6 Intruder I retired off the MD80, 727, 757,767, at a major airline. For the first year of retirement I fished all I could & drank all the beer I could. My wife recommended I find another "hobby." I bought a C172. Everything was great until I got a ride in a friend's RV7A. My whole life has changed. Sold the 172, bought a flying RV6A, flew the pants off it. Sold the first RV6A to buy another with a bigger (o360) motor. Now I fly aero over the lake, formation with some friends, occasional cross-countries. The other airplane I fly (you thought I didn't read the subject line) is a buddy"s Taylorcraft BC12D which eats my lunch - the tail wheel is always trying to pass the main wheels. Oh yes, no beer until the airplane flying is done for the day.

MartinPred said:
When I'm not flying this:

... If any of you will be at Oshkosh and would like to learn more about Predator operations, I'll be giving a presentation entitled "Flying the Predator at Home and Abroad." ...

Can't go to Oshkosh this year. Can You give us a quick and dirty overview of the types of missions you fly that thing on? Can I assume satellite based technology?

Jeff
-8 wings

What Else Do You Fly

I fly a '70 Citabria as much as I can. Occasionally I get together with a bunch of other Citabria drivers in the Mid-Atlantic area and we do an All Grass All Day tour. I also do some soaring in a vintage Schleicher Ka-8 glider. When I'm at the glider field, I usually do a 20 minute flight in an open cockpit Corben Baby Ace, never higher than 500 feet, which makes me feel like I'm barnstorming in the 20s. As you might imagine, my productivity building the RV-7 is much higher in the winter!

Right now I'm flying a friends Grumman TR-2 AA1-B to stay current. My RV-9A will feel like an F-15 compared. :)

Cessna 182 heavy :D

I LOVE the 182 but can't wait to get the 7 done and in the air. It's all I think about (don't tell my wife). Will be taking the 182 to Glacier NP in 2 weeks...now THAT's therapy!

Dave

Hypersonic Heavy Glider....

Well, I guess you might have to call it a motor-glider...multi-engined. Let's see, how many engines? Do you count engines that you lift off with but jettison along the way? (Some folks might consider it bad form to return the aircraft with less parts than when you took it up - go figure!) Three main engines, two really big "JATO's"...and a whole bunch of little manuevering rockets. :rolleyes:

Max speed - about 17,500 knots (or mach 25.0 for those keeping track that way). Service Ceiling - about 300 miles... :cool:

Ya'll own 'em....I just get to run 'em! (And thank you very much for the opportunity!) :D

Fun thread! (Gotta get my -8 back from paint - I'm going stir crazy!)

Paul

Crop dust.......

Hi guys/gals,
Currently own and operate an Air Tractor AT502 with a 680 HP PT6 turbine, spraying mainly cotton and peanuts in my 36th year doing back 'n forths.
Have owned a Cassutt racer which I built, an AT6, Stearman, various J3s, Super Cubs, Pitts, Cessna 310s Barons, all Cessna and most Piper singles and some twins.

The REAL treat is when I get out the 6A and drill holes in the sky, upside down and right side up! :D

I'm flying a Rans S-12, great late afternoon fun, and I'm also flying off the 40 hrs.
on a Zodiac 601 XL for a friend.

David

Tsquare said:
Just finishing up a year in Afghanistan flying Apache helicopters (here's your rotorhead). Other aircraft include Twin Otter, DC-3, 737, CV-580, SD-330, BE-58P and 99, Huey, Cobra, Chinook, AW-660, Grumman Widgeon and Goose, C-150, 152, 172, 180, 182, 206, 210 and other light single and multi-engine airplanes. It's been a blast, but now just want to finish my -7 and have fun.

Ahhh...feels good to not be alone! I thought I was gonna get beat into submission for being a rotorhead from previous posts! My Apache unit is going to Afghanistan as well..I'm supposed to go next year...relieving you perhaps? PM me for OPSEC reasons.

Ok..hijacked thread...other aircraft flown besides the RV's: AH64D, OH-58's, spam cans, and various other single/multi a/c.

Flying a PA 22/20 Pacer that I bought to build tailwheel time (for less than 30K), lot harder to land and keep straight than I anticipated but is fun to fly and can go anywhere (BIG tundra tires are next on the list, followed by gap seals and vortex generators), full panel plus 396, kinda slowed up my -7 build schedule as I try to tame this. :D
Will probably keep both as they are good for differerent missions.

pierre smith said:
Hi guys. I'm a 34 year ag-pilot veteran currently flying an AT502 Air Tractor with a PT6-15 680HP turboprop on peanuts and cotton mainly. Around 15,000 hours doing ag and also a CFI. Visit www.airtractor.com and click on 502,
Regards,
Pierre Smith
Building RV6A (Yup, trike-tired of taildraggers) finishing up cowling/baffles

Im currently flying a citabria yet building an 8A. The most often question I hear is " how come a taildragger pilot is building a nose wheel airplane" ans: just cuz. BTW Pierre, I tried running the citabria on peanuts and cotton but they kept glogging the gascolator. he he couldnt resist :D

Fly a Tiger

We have a Grumman Tiger that we have flown for 8 years now. Expect to have the RV7a flying in the next year. Check it out at the following link:

Tiger Web page

1941 Interstate Cadet, completely restored from a basket case in 1991.

First solo was in a '46 Aeronca Champ. Instructor was the legendary Wally Olson at Evergreen Airport, Vancouver, WA.

Then a C-150 for my license, then back to the Wally's Champ. Was a different plane from the first one and didn't fly nearly as well.

The Cadet was a great plane for it's time and is still a pretty good plane for it's class. With 300-400 landings, it hasn't tried to ground loop yet. Powerful rudder, differential ailerons that work right up to the stall. Cruise about 95.

I fly a Citation X for a living and have flown many different Citation models in the last 31 years.

I am a 1/2 owner of a 1958 J-35 Bonanza that my wife and I have used for quite a bit of travel for the past four years. Prior to the Bonanza was a C177B Cardinal partnership, prior to that, a Tri-Pacer my father and I owned for many years, and my first airplane was a J-4 Cub Coupe. I was flying helicopters for Uncle Sam in 1970 in southeast Asia. I saved my nickels during that year and asked my father to find me a nice little airplane for under $1500 while I was gone. When I returned there was a great J-4 waiting for me. I made the mistake of selling that airplane after a couple of years. (Hey Harvey Sorenson, the tail number was N26947. Any chance that is the airplane you restored?)

While working for the U.S. Army I flew the UH-1H Huey, the CH-54 Sikorsky Skycrane (the helicopter that looks like it might devour its young), and the OH-58 (Jet Ranger). Enjoyed all of those machines.

I owned a Benson Gyro Copter for a short time, but never flew it.

Other airplanes along the way:

Cessna 140, 150, 172, 182, 206, 210, 337, 310, 401, 402, 411, 303.
Beech A36, F33, Baron, Duke, King Air E-90, 99A
Great Lakes 2T1-A, J-3 Cub, Zlin 242, Piper Cherokee

And then, the fateful day last year when I took a demo flight in N410RV with Ken Scott, and started down the path I am on today. Can hardly wait for the QB to arrive!

Planes I have owned include:
7AC Champ
C150
C172
C140
Cherokee 140
Taylorcraft BC12D
V Tail Bonanza C model
Smith MiniPlane
Grumman TR2
RV6
RV8 (Currently)
7AC Champ project in the hangar....waiting for restoral.

Of the RVs, I had about 900 hrs on the -6 when I sold it and have also flown the RV7. I am now flying the RV8 with about 18 hours so far. Actually, I think I prefer the RV6 over the RV8. The 6 had lighter control forces and plenty of room for charts, etc in the seat next to you, whether anyone was in there with you or not. The RV8 does have more cool factor though and the centerline seating is really cool, too. It's just a different plane, so taste comes in to play here. Over time, I'll probably come to love it as much as the RV6.

The TR2 was a really good plane to fly before flying the RV6, since it really flew a lot like it. The sight picture is basically the same and the wingspan on the TR2 was the same as the RV6. Of course, it doesn't help in the TD department, though.

In hind sight...they are all fun!!!

Planes previosly owned:
1958 -C172
Cherokee 140
Cherokee 235
Wittman Tailwind 150HP
Citabria KCAB
and current C-182

The Tailwind was a blast- 150 HP behind a 850 LB frame- unique roll coupled rubber dynamics- what a race plane. I'm expecting the RV6 to be more fun with the Acro mission cabablility. Never flown in one as yet though...

Brad
RV6A- firewall forward

Ok I'll throw my list up for airplanes checked out for solo:

Cessna 170A
Cessna 172
Cessna 182
Cherokee 180
Citabria
Decathlon (all configurations)
Extra 300 (original midwing)

Really miss flying the Extra, but rent got pretty steep.

RV7Factory said:
I feel the same way about the Pitts. Taking a guess here... was the extra you flew N300UY?

Yes. As far as anyone knows it's the only "publicly" rentable Extra. Got my check ride from Jon Nash.

Andy, What exactly does that aircraft you fly do?

BTW, no need to resize - just choose the resize image option on imageshack.

Bret S said:
Yes. As far as anyone knows it's the only "publicly" rentable Extra. Got my check ride from Jon Nash.
I flew it with Jon once a few years ago.... weeeee!

I've flown C-152 for training, C-172 after that for a bit and then just got our of a Grumman Cheetah partnership.

Now I'm looking forward to flying my newly purchased (but not yet delivered) RV-4.

Weeeee!!!

Mickey - It is mainly used as an airborne trials platform and tow aircraft for air to air gunnery. It certainly beats working for a living! :)

What do you fly?

A Pilatus PC-9/A(F) in the RAAF Resreves (FAC). 950shp, 5.5hrs endruance, 260KTAS+. Good fun and some one else pays for the fuel.

I think this a fun thread.
Any one else fly RV s AND something else?
Thanks

jay, i must agree with you.and a lot has changed since this last post.here's a bit of my flying.
learned in the cessnas 152, 172, owner 1/4 of 182 and flew a few small pipers and grumman a1a. numerous gliders out of north county fl and sterling ma, owned a zimango motor glider, then the 6a. few hours ses in a j-3 and 172 rentals. sinst the fall of 05 rotor time in r-22 and r-44. next is interest in getting a 2 seat gyro for some cheap rotor fun. that all folks!!!!!!!1

keepin' it going

RV-8 125 hrs
Citabria KCAB 75 hrs
Skywagon 25 hr
Other misc cessna and piper 75 hr
Sailplanes (mostly LS-6) 1700 hrs.

What have you flown?

I haven't given it much thought until I saw this post. Mostly I've flown your average fair C-150, C-152, C-172, PA-28-180, PA28-R201, PA32, Mooney 201& own a C-177B. But have some more unusual experince for someone who has never been paid to fly, like a small amount of time flying a DC-3, 1/2 hour 747-400 sim time, 1 hour dual in a Shweitzer 300C, 1 hour dual HAB (hot air baloon). I wouldn't usually count something like the 20 minutes I have in Vans RV7 demo except for the profound effect it has had on me; I'm months away from flying my own!:eek:

Falcon 2000

When I'm lucky I get to fly Falcon 2000s, but most of the time I'm chained to the desk, hence the need to build an RV...

... I wouldn't usually count something like the 20 minutes I have in Vans RV7 demo except for the profound effect it has had on me; I'm months away from flying my own!:eek:

Ah, the $XX,000 free ride!

I got my PPL in a C-150, then learned to FLY about 100hrs later in a J-3. Some interesting stuff I've flown (thanks Dad!): soloed Stearman & BT-13, stick time in Feisler Storch (coached landings) & B-737(~20 min in cruise, before PPL:eek:). First time starting an airplane engine: #1 on a DC-3 at 9 years old; had to stand up to reach the switches.;)

Oh yeah, there's that 1700 hours in my C-170B.:cool:

The last 12 years have found me, for the most part, flying the two RV's
I've built. Except for the occasional opportunity in friend's RVs and a C-170
thats about it. Not like the old days as a flight instructor and charter pilot.
This is one reason I make it a point to go to different flight schools for my
BFRs. This gives me the opportunity to fly something different, and I
try and switch it up between Cessnas and Pipers. There is a school locally
that has a Legend Cub and one in Hemet with a new C-162 Skycatcher.
Will try and get my BFR in one of those this fall.

I started flying Cessna 172's while getting my training. When I finished I rented for several years but got very little flying in. So I ended up building a Challenger II. I started in 2003 and flew it for the first time in the fall of 2004. I sold it and started building on the 9A in 2005. In 2008 I bought a 1966 172G with a tail wheel conversion while I was still building.

It has been a great 172. Having never flown a tail wheel airplane before this, my opinion might be a bit limited, but I think all 172's should have always been taildraggers. It is such a wonderful airplane. By the way, if anyone is interested it is for sale on Trade A Plane (just posted on their site 3/14/2011 so should be on their tomorrow. Look for ID # 1245530).

Last edited:
Back