Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 04-14-2019, 08:28 AM

Good to see this part coming along.

Ross Farnham, Calgary, Alberta
Turbo Subaru EJ22, SDS EFI, Marcotte M-300, IVO, RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW since 2003- 431.1 hrs. on the Hobbs,
RV10 95% built- Sold 2016
http://www.sdsefi.com/aircraft.html
http://sdsefi.com/cpi2.htm

Old 04-14-2019, 11:17 PM

Thanks for the reply. I have read they are Gesipia rivets too but just not sure.
I prefer to get them from Vans..... The numbers you shared are fairly consistent with most pulled rivets. Glad you are enjoying the build. I believe there are a fair number of lurkers out there, more coming out out of the shadows all the time. I work hard to keep this thread a fun and enjoyable experience where everyone is welcome to ask questions and make suggestions as long as they are kind and respectful.
Old 04-14-2019, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv6ejguy View Post
Good to see this part coming along.
Thanks. Not nearly as beautifully as your hand crafted scoop with everything perfectly faired in so nicely, but hey, I feel mine will work well. We shall see. I am anxious to make some progress but my day job is about 60 plus work hours back to back and no way to get out from under it.

Oh well it will happen...

Thanks to everyone who is watching and posting Great number of views and posts on this thread.

Lots more coming soon as I retire in 2 weeks and then i'll be building full time. !!!! Yeee haaaa.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:12 PM

Just a quite new pic on more of the angle aluminum supports that will eventually hold the side panels of the scoop.

For those who have built a sheet metal airframe like an RV you will know that you will have to cut notices to notches on one side of the angle to get it to confirm to a single plane surface. Which is all that I had to do to notch the angle pieces for the front sides of the scoop that are forward of the radiator. But when it came to the angles for the aft section of supporting angles I had to notch both the side against the bell (to conform nicely to the curve for inlet an outlet boundary airflow But unlike the front, I also had to cut a few notices on the lower legs of the angles so they would conform nicely with the upward shape of the bottom of the belly. It is a bit hard to see but honestly, it was easy to do. I chose notches at roughly 2" spacing.

Hope this makes sense, and if not feel free to ask questions.

I hop to be out there drilling and bending much more soon.

Charlie
Old 04-25-2019, 08:05 AM

One never has enough tools....

https://www.harborfreight.com/catalo...tcher+shrinker
Old 04-25-2019, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv7charlie View Post
Good tip! I have the hand held flute version which works well for me for metal thinner than .063. If I had to do much bending to do I could justify the ones in the link real easy...... But I have to say I don't know much about how these HF versions really work. I suspect if you did not have a whole lot to do they would be fine. At least that is my experience using HF tools.

Thanks

Charlie
Old 05-04-2019, 05:54 PM

Default Update on Belly Scoop

Just an update. I made a little progress on the belly scoop. There are two pics below. One of the scoop from the side and one from the front. The odd blue color is just protective plastic sheeting on the aluminum. As you can see it is still in the cleco stage, but at least it is progress. Astute viewers will notice the front opening is offset one inch to the left. This is to avoid the exhaust that will eventually exit the right side of the cowl.

Old 05-17-2019, 12:21 PM

Default just checking in

folks,

In case anyone wonders why I have not posted in while, its only because I have been on vacation.

I am anxious to get back on the project but it will be several more days.

Charlie