Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-9/9A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2019, 04:34 PM

Fabricating a plug for a new snorkel. It will be removable to ease the difficulty of removing/installing the lower cowling with a three blade prop, and it will also house a custom FAB. I don't care much for the Van's FAB bolted to the bottom of the fuel servo. For experimental purposes, I am going to embed a copper tape VOR antenna in it and see how well it works since I already have the materials on hand. No big deal if it doesn't work well. I will just go with my original plan of an Archer style wing tip VOR antenna.
[IMG]fiberglass 3 by David C, on Flickr[/IMG]

RV-9A: Under Construction.
RV-10: Completed 12/29/2013 SOLD 08/23/2016

"Donor Exempt" but donated through Dec. 2019
Old 01-08-2019, 08:21 AM

Removable scoop is a game changer. You will find that with a removable scoop that it will be rare that you will have to remove the lower cowl.
N244BJ RV-6 "victim of SNF tornado" 1200+ hrs, rebuilding
N8155F C150 flying
N7925P PA-24-250 Comanche, restoring
Not a thing I own is stock.
Old 01-08-2019, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketbob View Post
Removable scoop is a game changer. You will find that with a removable scoop that it will be rare that you will have to remove the lower cowl.
I agree Bob. I put one on my RV-10 and loved having it. I really enjoy fiberglass work also.

RV-9A: Under Construction.
RV-10: Completed 12/29/2013 SOLD 08/23/2016

"Donor Exempt" but donated through Dec. 2019
Old 01-27-2019, 03:32 PM

Default James cowl update

Here's a few pics of the progress. I still have work to do on it, but it's coming along. It was pretty cool to see it on the plane and to be able to open the oil door and take out the dip stick.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Dues paid Dec 18
Old 01-28-2019, 10:52 AM

Beautiful work. It looks great!
Old 02-05-2019, 05:55 PM

Default FlyLeds

Finished assembling my FlyLED, "The Works". This is the first time I've had one of the wing-tips outside in the dark. Paul at FlyLEDs was a BIG help. Pretty impressed.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/123Apm9HwNmjvVbX7
Picture log: http://s271.photobucket.com/albums/j...8tor215/RV-9A/
Old 02-06-2019, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8torTom View Post
Finished assembling my FlyLED, "The Works". This is the first time I've had one of the wing-tips outside in the dark. Paul at FlyLEDs was a BIG help. Pretty impressed.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/123Apm9HwNmjvVbX7
Tom,
I'd be keen to know if you had problems fitting the lights into the wingtip fairings? I know that Paul at FlyLEDS has said they can be tricky to fit, and may need a fair bit of trimming. My interest lies in the fact that I've already built my flyLEDS kit, and my wings are on order, so I'll be going through this in a few months.

The lights are **** bright, even testing with a 9V battery you couldn't look at them for more than a second or so.
Old 02-06-2019, 07:45 AM

Goeff, it's a bit tight. I had to trim the PC boards a bit to make them fit. I used a belt sander mounted upside down on my work bench. That was a no brainer.
The biggest challenge was getting the mounting screws with the springs on them in place. Not a lot of room to get your fingers in there and I sent more than one spring flying across the shop . I replaced 2 of the short 6-32 mounting screws with longer ones. That made adjustments a lot easier. I used automotive double sided foam tape to mount the outward facing board to the wingtip - seems VERY solid. Once the forward facing wingtip surface is cut away for the landing lights, there's not enough surface area for foam tape so I used 3 nutplates and screws. Plan carefully where you want to place those nutplates so they don't interfere with anything. All in all I'm very pleased with the result, and they sure do seem bright.
Picture log: http://s271.photobucket.com/albums/j...8tor215/RV-9A/

Last edited by Av8torTom : 02-06-2019 at 07:57 PM.
Old 02-07-2019, 03:21 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8torTom View Post
Goeff, it's a bit tight. I had to trim the PC boards a bit to make them fit. I used a belt sander mounted upside down on my work bench. That was a no brainer.
The biggest challenge was getting the mounting screws with the springs on them in place. Not a lot of room to get your fingers in there and I sent more than one spring flying across the shop . I replaced 2 of the short 6-32 mounting screws with longer ones. That made adjustments a lot easier. I used automotive double sided foam tape to mount the outward facing board to the wingtip - seems VERY solid. Once the forward facing wingtip surface is cut away for the landing lights, there's not enough surface area for foam tape so I used 3 nutplates and screws. Plan carefully where you want to place those nutplates so they don't interfere with anything. All in all I'm very pleased with the result, and they sure do seem bright.
Thanks a lot Tom!!
Old 02-08-2019, 07:08 AM

No pictures, but I went on a bit of a spending spree the last 2 weeks ordering everything to finish up my 9A.

Engine paid in full now, due mid march, prop end of march, cowl/baffling in enroute from vans, exhaust ordered, and Dynon equipment is waiting for me to pick up at UPS in about an hour.

Time to get to assembling everything now.
RV9A #91247/#91434