What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Athena Micro INS

I was pretty curious about why they were running an ad in SA when their website didn't have much info. Maybe it's just a reflection that this space is so small that these types of magazines have to do double duty as trade rags as well.

-Rick

I'm not sure about their Micro, but about a year ago, the Athena Guidestar 111m cost about $16k. Not cheap. It did work well though.

Cloudcap Technology makes several that are much cheaper. I think the Picollo II was around $6k a year ago. Their Crista IMU looks like a nice little do-dad if you want to program some Kalman filters yourself. http://www.cloudcaptech.com/

I think you'll probably find (I did) that if you want a cheeap attitude solution, the easiest/cheapest way is to buy a Dynon or Blue Mountain EFIS & use their serial output.

Have fun,

It's made by pros, for pros

I'm familiar with Athena's products, and with many of their key employees. They are superbly qualified engineers, amongst the very best in their field.

The GuideStar family is used on several of the UAVs I work on. It's also used daily on the US Army's Shadow UAV, which is logging thousands of hour per month in Iraq.

I don't know what this unit costs, but I am sure it's "professional grade." Now if only it could be used as the sensor for the existing Dynon, GRT etc EFISs.

Martin

Way cool

Wow, this little thing is amazing. Can't find a price anywhere, but, just for curiosity, I may call them. It is the size of a pda, but does all this (I "borrowed" this from their website, and note it also has inertial navigation):

Features:

* Accurate roll, pitch, heading in dynamic environments and sustained turns
* Simple plug & play installation
* Solid-state sensors
* Full INS/GPS/ADAHRS
* WAAS-enabled, differential-ready GPS
* Continues to perform in GPS outage conditions
* Superior data – low latency
* Air data measurements
* Flight Data Recorder
* Auto magnetometer calibration
* Installs easily anywhere in the aircraft