What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Best fuel strainer for RV-12

Sunriver Ken

Well Known Member
So I am ready to start putting fuel in the tank for calibration. I will be using premium mogas.

With the 12's unusual fueling opening, and given I will be refueling by myself, is there one "BEST" fuel strainer that takes the worry out of spillage and debris?

I use a Mr. Funnel to transfer the fuel into a Flo-Fast pump and use that to fill my -12. Is a bit of a pain but works pretty well and I don't have to lift a can to the filler neck. I'd like a better solution but it's the best I've come up with.

I fuel this way... http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showpost.php?p=1079335&postcount=1

I add a full 5 gallons at a time but only after verifying tank will accept that quantity. I use a wooden dip stick with 2 gallon markings to measure tank level. In my opinion the course strainer in the tank and the fine strainer in the gascolator are sufficient to trap all debris. This is verified by visual examination of both carb float bowls at each condition inspection. Bowls have always been perfectly clean...

so fast with Flo Fast

I second the vote for Flo Fast and the Mr Funnel.
So easy and no splash. Ten turns on the handle per gal of fuel. 90 seconds to transfer 7 gal.

The link for your fuel transfer thingy doesn't show much...how does it work and where can one be purchased? I'm getting to old to lift 5 gal cans (scared of messing up paint job)😎

ebay link
It's also easy to fabricate yourself.

The blue thing is a pump to pressurize the jerrycan. 20l (5,3USG) will take about 3 minutes to transfer. I replaced the hose with a longer one so the jerrycan can stand on the floor. Two 20liters are enough for "day tot day flying" (we don't have mogas at the airport).
The transfer kit is relatively cheap and lightweight. The pump can be replaced with a e.g. a footpump or compressed air.

ebay link
It's also easy to fabricate yourself.

The blue thing is a pump to pressurize the jerrycan. 20l (5,3USG) will take about 3 minutes to transfer. I replaced the hose with a longer one so the jerrycan can stand on the floor. Two 20liters are enough for "day tot day flying" (we don't have mogas at the airport).
The transfer kit is relatively cheap and lightweight. The pump can be replaced with a e.g. a footpump or compressed air.

Wondering how safe it is to pressurize a fuel can? Might at least think about static spark and appropriate grounding...

Wondering how safe it is to pressurize a fuel can? Might at least think about static spark and appropriate grounding...

I made a bolt in the jerrycan handle and the jerrycan is grounded to the plane with accu alligator clamps.

Double Screen Mr Funnel

Let me add, if you go with the Mr Funnel, get the double screen. The single screen is much too slow.

I use a battery operated fluid pump (Model JB5684) from Northern Tools. It cost less than $20 and runs on 2 D cells. Made by Sierra Tools. Transfers about 6 qts per minute. I got too tired of lifting the jerry cans.
Jerry cans came from Harbor Freight.

Additional filter

I fuel this way... http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showpost.php?p=1079335&postcount=1

I add a full 5 gallons at a time but only after verifying tank will accept that quantity. I use a wooden dip stick with 2 gallon markings to measure tank level. In my opinion the course strainer in the tank and the fine strainer in the gascolator are sufficient to trap all debris. This is verified by visual examination of both carb float bowls at each condition inspection. Bowls have always been perfectly clean...

Any opinions about adding the additional Faucet fuel pump filter you see in some of the parts catalogs? Appears to directly screw into the pump itself.

Fast Flo Wins

Thanks to all who responded. I have purchased the Fast Flow for 5-gallon cans and a Mr. Funnel.

Ken

Jim, regarding your use of a wooden dipstick. What does this stick look like? I haven't found a dipstick solution that can accommodate the filler neck curve.

George

Jim, regarding your use of a wooden dipstick. What does this stick look like? I haven't found a dipstick solution that can accommodate the filler neck curve.

George

My dip stick is rectangular in cross-section - approx 1/8 x 3/8. The bottom end has a taper which allows it to skip past the tank filler neck. Twist the stick a little when it reaches the tank filler neck and it will drop into the tank. Mark the stick with lead pencil so marks don't wash off with the fuel.

Why the stick?

Don't you have a gauge on the top of your tank and a gauge in your instrument panel? If calibrated why use the stick. What am I missing?

Don't you have a gauge on the top of your tank and a gauge in your instrument panel? If calibrated why use the stick. What am I missing?

I actually have four methods to verify fuel quantity in the tank - sight gage on side, Moeller mechanical gage on top, Dynon D-180 EMS, and dipstick. Only one I trust completely is the dipstick. Dipstick is marked during initial calibration of the EMS so I can always cross-check and verify the Dynon isn't lying to me on any given day.

I also track time Vs. fuel burn rate to verify fuel quantity displayed on the EMS during flight. Never ran out of fuel...

Last edited:
If you search you should find another thread on sounding the fuel tank. I use a piece of translucent brake line to sound the tank. The thread includes the measurements for 5, 10 and 20 gal markings. Brake line is flexible enough to accommodate the filler neck bend, but stiff enough to give good readings.

If you search you should find another thread on sounding the fuel tank. I use a piece of translucent brake line to sound the tank. The thread includes the measurements for 5, 10 and 20 gal markings. Brake line is flexible enough to accommodate the filler neck bend, but stiff enough to give good readings.

The link to the fuel tank sounding measurements can be found on post 6 of the following thread.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=128429

Back