What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

voltage regulator

jrich

It appears that my voltage regulator (orig. w/360 hrs.) has fallen victim to the curse. We have noticed only one period of discharge instead of charging. Then, the system began for no known reason charging again. This regulator is the P/N 965 347 and never had any modifications (cooling, etc.).

RV-12s are not the only airplanes plagued by this voltage regulator. However, I'd like to know how many RV-12s have had regulators replaced.
Also, I'd like to know how many RV-12s have done the Van's cooling air modification and the results of the mod.

John, your two questions are probably impossible to answer with any accuracy. You can find plenty of anecdotal information by doing some searches on this forum, there have been quite a few previous threads.

It sounds as if you have the original design, with no cooling tube, so I assume you did not have the lighting option on your airplane. You have several options to choose from when you replace your regulator. Original location with no cooling tube, original location with addition of cooling tube, relocation out of the engine compartment per current plans, or any one of several home-grown mods that various builders have installed.

I personally decided to go with the new location, so made that move when my original failed at a hundred and something hours. It has worked fine in the new location, but I really don't have enough hours on it to draw any conclusions about long term reliability. I have posted questions here on the forum asking if anyone has seen a failure with the regulator in the new location, but have received no replies. That is the information I would find most useful.

I personally decided to go with the new location, so made that move when my original failed at a hundred and something hours. It has worked fine in the new location, but I really don't have enough hours on it to draw any conclusions about long term reliability. I have posted questions here on the forum asking if anyone has seen a failure with the regulator in the new location, but have received no replies. That is the information I would find most useful.

Wow, John! I have a little over 100, trouble free hrs. on mine, with the regulator in the original location, but with the added cooking tube. I was reluctant to move it into the cockpit due to some negative comments about safety. Now, in consideration of your observation that there has not been a single failure with the regulator in the new mounting location under the panel, I may have to re-think that decision............Tom

Good stats would be needed to address this question

Now, in consideration of your observation that there has not been a single failure with the regulator in the new mounting location under the panel, I may have to re-think that decision............Tom

Inside cockpit mounting of the VR "might" prove better, but there are just too few installations across the fleet and more importantly, too few operational hours to declare victory just yet don't you think? Also read in other threads that the quality of the soldering may be an issue in many cases rather than just heat.

I have one of those temperature strips stuck to the side of the VR to monitor how hot it gets. Even with the cooling tube, its exceeding the range of the strip so relocation (if/when it fails) is probably my strategy too. Still would like to know that an apples to apples comparison of failure rates (per hour of use) proves a difference.

If it helps, my 1966 Cherokee 140 and many other GA aircraft have the VR installed on the sidewall under the panel in the cabin. The original VR gave up last year (after 48 yrs) so I installed a Plane Power regulator.

My experience - -

I have minimum load on my VR. No lights, second screen, AP. No cooling cover/hose. 150 degrees has been max for me. I would guess that is why mine has made it past 800 hours, and seems to work good.

My original ROTAX regulator failed at 135 hours. It was equipped with the cooling tube/shroud since new. My RV-12 E-LSA has all the bells and whistles and I regularly use them. In my opinion, my original regulator failed due to heat/vibration/weak solder joints.

I relocated the replacement regulator (ROTAX #925-349) to under the avionics shelf per Van's service recommendation - it was a relatively easy fix. I also added a small shroud to direct the avionics compartment's cooling fan's outflow in the direction of the regulator - however, the fan's outflow volume doesn't appear to be very significant. At 200 hours, all is going well (knock-on-wood ;)).

My original regulator was resoldered and I carry it as a spare.

Regulator replacement

I just replaced my VR on my ELSA RV12 at 126 hrs. Decided to try the new part in the same location (has the cooling hose). Everything now looks good and hoping it stays that way- a little nervous about relocating to the cabin based on some other posts- will keep any eye out and if it fails again will go to plan B.

Back