What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Advice needed, riveting cockpit rails

wfinnell

Well Known Member
I am getting ready to rivet the cockpit side rails (F-816A). I could use a little friendly advise.

My first idea was to use my swivel mushroom set, but there is a slight inward bend in the rail where the rail is bent to match the angle of the upper longeron. If a mushroom set were centered on the rivet, it looks to me like the set would leave dents in the rail adjacent to the bend.

A longeron yoke could be used for aft rivets, but it won't reach the forward rivets.

I am kind of getting the idea that this may be a silly question. I have looked at a lot of RV-8s, and I don't recall seeing any with dents in the cockpit rails. I searched the forums and could not find any mention of this topic. This may be one of those thing that is so obvious to everyone else... :confused:

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Rivet Set

I think many of these rivets can be squeezed. I was more concerned with damaging the longeron at this late stage of fuse construction. If I remember correctly I took some extra precautions to make certain the yoke could not snag the toe of the longeron angle.

For the rivets than cannot be squeezed, I think I used a 1" mushroom set and a tungsten bar.

Back