What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

VFR transponder initial check

Kato's 8

Well Known Member
I know there is plenty of discussion about transponder checks but....
I'm two months away at most from being ready for scheduling a DAR visit. My question is, does the transponder need to have its function test done and signed for before I can get AW inspection? I fly from a non towered field and not anywhere close to areas that require the mode C be on. Is this something that can wait until phase one is complete or will I need it tested prior to the DAR visit?
Also, it's my understanding that since this is not IFR, I won't need a pitot/static check?
What about a bench calibration test? Is that necessary beforehand or can that wait until a discrepancy is noted in altitude reporting?
Thanks !

Transponder checks are an operational issue. Not an airworthiness issue.
The transponder checks are not required for the Airworthiness inspection.

Take a look at the FAQ portion on my website, I think it will answer most of your questions:
http://www.expaircraft.com/faq.htm

Bottom line. new installations require an altitude data correspondence test and a transponder check which must be done at the aircraft.

If you wait till ATC notices a discrepancy you may also get a letter from the FAA asking you to meet with them.

Back