What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Andair Left hand throttle

Hi Folks,
Has anybody installed the Andair (TQX1L) ?left hand? throttle quadrant in your RV-8? The right hand version looks very nice in the photos but I am yet to see a photo of the left hand model or find any info on installation. Also, I am wondering if it is compatible with a rear seat throttle.
Many thanks,
Gerry.

Bumping !!!

Any PIREPS out there on a left handed Andair Quadrant for the 8?

I'm looking to get a 2 lever, throttle and prop, quadrant with flap switches.

Thanks

Hi Gerry / Eric

I have the single lever Andair throttle in our RV-8, with rear throttle.

I move the vernier Prop/Mixture at the same time which is probably the biggest benefit of the whole change ;) IIRC correctly, even the 2 lever Andair quadrant would have problems fitting in the standard RV-8 space?

My personal view would be keep Flap Switches (as flying controls) off HOTAS systems. I altered my quadrant to a Freq change and Smoke switch, and can testify they do get accidentally operated :eek: A wider issue than Andair throttles, and debated elsewhere here.

The installation requires some adaptation, but not rocket science. Pics during installation:

AndairThrottle.jpg

AndairThrottle3.jpg

AndairLink.jpg

Thanks Andy for your reply!!

Your photos are nice !!!

I note the comment about the flap switches, a good point to consider!!
Will then probably put a flap control on the panel near the quadrant.

I still prefer having the prop control adjacent to the throttle.
Will maybe have to tinker a bit I would believe... :roll eyes:

Hi Eric

You'll get a 2 lever in there, just would take some "fettling". I think the starting point would be to cut down the outer spacers?

I still prefer having the prop control adjacent to the throttle.
Pros and cons each way. The real one for me, doing formation / aeros / both is wanting little throttle friction yet RPM staying constant. The more accurate settings available with a vernier are more for the mixture. But they are certainly less easy to hand :(

If you go ahead and get one, tell Andy I sent you, and I'll eMail you detailed pictures.

Back