- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-3
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2011, 05:29 AM

Default RV-3B Aileron bellcrank

The 3B bellcrank is steel. Supposedly, the earlier RV3 ailerons were lighter in feel and not steel. Can anyone confirm the older bellcranks were different, and how so ?
Old 03-15-2011, 04:29 PM

Default RV-3 Bellcrank

Hello Larry,
There is a world of difference between the original aileron bellcrank design and the current design. And, there is a noticeable difference in control feel/loading. The earlier bellcrank is basically attached to a main wing rib. In the current design, the aileron bellcrank is attached to the main spar web and does not provide the same differential throw. The geometry of both designs are completely different. And, the force feel on the current design is greater than the earlier design.
I have flown planes with both aileron designs and I prefer the lighter stick forces of the older bellcrank. The planes are just more responsive. Dave Sloan built his RV-3B after having built and flown an RV-6A. During his initial test period Dave modified the aileron bellcrank of his RV-3B to better approximate the differential throw of the original design. He said the changes noticeably improved the handling qualities. Jim Winning flew Dave's RV-3B before and after the changes and can further attest to positive change.
Chuck Brietigam
RV-3 (IO-320/ Hartzell) RV-6XL (TO-540/MacCauley)
Old 03-15-2011, 04:31 PM

Is there any place that older geometry is posted?

Dave
Old 03-15-2011, 06:09 PM

No pics but Jim is a good friend of mine and I did see the bellcranks before and after he modified them. I'm sure Jim would be happy to modify the bellcranks for you if you provide him a set and a few bucks.
N244BJ RV-6 "victim of SNF tornado" 1200+ hrs, rebuilding
N8155F C150 flying
N7925P PA-24-250 Comanche, restoring
Don't believe everything you read on the internet. -Woodrow Wilson
Old 03-15-2011, 06:26 PM

Default Older Style RV-3 Aileron Bellcrank

Anyone who has an older set of plans (like me for instance - S/N 11226, 1992) has the older bellcranks (and mounting) called out on their original plans. Although my kit is a currently purchased one, I am using some of the old style parts when the result is proven to be better. I just finished a set of old style bellcranks for my project a couple of days ago.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:03 PM

I only have the preview plans. They show the aileron bellcrank as being WD-421, apparently an RV-4 part.

Is there a part number for the older ones?

Dave
Old 03-17-2011, 08:37 PM

Default RV-3 Aileron Bellcrank (old style) P/N

These are "scratch" built from .063 2024-T3 Sheet and the callouts are as follows: 4ea - W-315A Aileron Bellcrank Plate, 4ea - 1/2x1 5/8 spacer strips, 2ea - AN218P4 (VA-146) Flange Bearing. After assembly these parts become W-315 Aileron Bellcrank. Hope this helps.
Old 03-27-2011, 03:21 PM

Default RV-3 Aileron Bellcrank

As dimensioned on drawing dated 1-10-84 serial 10342. It's basically a triangle with the legs 137 degrees apart. The control stick leg is 3 inches and the aileron leg is 3-3/8 inches from pivot point. (5-7/8 inches apart) The plates are assembled similarly to the elevator bellcrank.
300 Hrs Sold
RV3(B) Sold
RV4 Refreshing engine
Old 03-27-2011, 03:56 PM

Excellent!

Thanks very much!

Dave
Old 03-27-2011, 04:57 PM

Default Early RV-3 Ailerons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank View Post
As dimensioned on drawing dated 1-10-84 serial 10342. It's basically a triangle with the legs 137 degrees apart. The control stick leg is 3 inches and the aileron leg is 3-3/8 inches from pivot point. (5-7/8 inches apart) The plates are assembled similarly to the elevator bellcrank.
I once owned an RV-3 that was built from the earliest set of plans (it was the 6th airplane completed) and the aileron up and down travel was virtually symmetrical (no differential), suggesting a bellcrank angle close to 90 degrees. I have no hard test data to compare, but the roll rate of that airplane was much higher than my later RV-3 built from the 1984 plans.

Before I decided to replace my old wing kit with new RV-3B wings for my current project, I had decided on fabricating a bellcrank set with 115 degree included angle, and will try to accommodate that in the new B wing structure.

I would be interested to know the particular angles used in the modified bellcranks referred to in the above messages, and if any flight test impressions have been gathered.
Polson Montana 8S1