- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 03-29-2008, 08:50 PM

Smile It's OK...

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-force View Post
I would say no. Going off the chart at http://www.wingsandwheels.com/page35.htm
it appears it uses .25 lpm at 10k feet and .48 lpm at 15k. You would be flowing between 4 and 8 times what you need.
It probably is OK.... the regulator in this case just reduces the pressure to a manageable amount (30 psi?) that can be handled by Tygon tubing..

You still need a flow meter in the system, and this comes with a throttle valve. See this Aerox picture...

The regulators on the Wings and Wheels site are not adjustable. The flow rate is set by the flow meter.

gil A
RV-6A N61GX - finally flying
Grumman Tiger N12GA - flying
La Cholla Airpark (57AZ) Tucson AZ
Old 03-30-2008, 08:37 AM
Whelen LED Light Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve murray View Post
Took a short cross country the other day and came back at 13,500'. I loved the tail wind and the smooth air, now it is time to start looking for an oxygen setup. I have done some cursory pricing of the aircrafdt oxygen setups for about $500 and see medical oxygen tanks on ebay for less than $100.

Is it worthwhile, safe, cost effective to assemble my own portable system or should I just part with $500 and buy a system?

Would also appreciate any mounting input for RV8'ers'

Steve
RV8
Steve,
Come by my hanger, Ill show you my tank refill from welders ox setup so you can see one in action. Ill also show you the pressure mask to fly in the 20's if you see fit. Your welcome to try mine out. Ive tested mine to 30k' in my 8. Doubt you will make it that high in your though. But you should comfortably make the low 20's.

Best,
Old 03-30-2008, 10:02 AM

Sorry for the confusion the dew point of -60c was for the water content not the o2. I also meant the temperature of the cabin in the aircraft getting down to -60c. If it gets that cold I would be a block of ice and not needing oxygen.
A regulator with a minimum of 2 litres per min is way too much o2. Maximum you will need is 1 litre/min. By the way the highest I got in my RV-7 in a test was 25,400ft and that was has high as I could coach it. At 20,000ft it was still climbing at 500ft/min. It made the guys here in ATC sick. He said he had trouble getting that out of his Cessna at sea level. The ATC had a bet on how high I could get it with each other. Don't know who won. They also figured that I was making 500ft/min at 20,000. Standard carb. 0-360 and dual LS. I normally do my long trip across the continent between 13 and 17000ft. When I did the climb test it was in the middle of July here on Vancouver Island (CYYJ).
Old 03-30-2008, 03:06 PM

Default pulse ox meter

A handy addition to your ox system is one of the available mini pulse ox sensors that stick on the end of your finger and read the oxy levels in your blood (which is why you need suplimental o2 at alt). They are relatively cheap nowadays and allow you to adjust down the flow to minimum necessary. Also some people may be suprised at how low an alt you can be hypoxic, and benefit from suplimental o2. The pulse ox keeps you in the know.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:28 PM

Default Thanks Mike

Thanks Mike, I am going to be out of town for a week or so, but will stop by your hangar next time I see you out there. I would like to take a look at your Oxygen refill setup and get some contacts for your tank\oxygen supplier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna View Post
Steve,
Come by my hanger, Ill show you my tank refill from welders ox setup so you can see one in action. Ill also show you the pressure mask to fly in the 20's if you see fit. Your welcome to try mine out. Ive tested mine to 30k' in my 8. Doubt you will make it that high in your though. But you should comfortably make the low 20's.

Best,
Old 04-07-2008, 12:19 AM

Default O2 in an RV-8?

I'm building an RV-8 and I'm having trouble finding a good spot for the O2 bottle. Where are you guys mounting it and how are you plumbing your systems? A few pic would do wonders for us builders!
I've got a couple of C medical bottles that are about 14" to the top of the valve, and the obvious spot behind the pilot's seatback, might interfere with the back seater's shins. I figure the O2 capacity should last at least the fuel range...or do you think it should be 2 or 3 fuel tanks worth?
I would like to be able to open the bottle valve in flight, so I could be free to decide when to charge the system.
About regulators: they control flow rate by adjusting the regulated pressure, which then flows thru a control orifice. If you use one of those bubble flow indicators like the Aerox that Gil posted, you don't need to worry about the medical regulator flow rate. Just set it up so the needle valve on the flow meter will have enough pressure to give you the full range of adjustment.
About price: I got everything on 'Epay' including the CGA 870 to CGA 540 Filling Adapter, 2 bottles, 2 regulators, a flow meter, 2 oxysaver cannulas and a medical O2 mask for alittle over $100. Not one purchase, but a number of small bids and check later to see if I 'won'.
I just got an airline pilot 'quick don' O2 mask with internal mic, hose and cord, complete 'as new' for $12.99! (We'll see about that when it gets here)
RV-8 N89SE first flight 12/26/2013
Yak55M, and the wife has an RV-4
There is nothing-absolute nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing around with Aeroplanes
(with apologies to Ratty)

Last edited by SHIPCHIEF : 04-07-2008 at 12:44 AM. Reason: correction
Old 04-07-2008, 07:30 AM

Default Do it yourself

I faced this a couple of years ago as well. I was going to purchase the Aero-ox system. A fellow RV'r showed me his set up purchased off of Ebay. I got a new D bottle, medical regulator and a 10 pack of cannulas. Total cost $103 (including the shipping). I later added a mustache type breather for $20.

A couple of things, 1) This is not as fancy as the Aero ox or others, but who cares? You may have to buy a T fitting if you have passenger and plug it when not in use. No big deal.

2) Regarding medical vs. welding, one of my neighbors is a doctor and Flight Surgeon. He said if you were breathing welding O2 for many hours every day you might experience some nasal dryness, but for GA use, the welding stuff is fine. I've used it for up to 5 hours in one day without issue.

3) Filling the tanks. The best is the cascading system to get a complete fill but a welding tank will get you enough. Another method is to check with your local fire department. Everybody knows somebody in public safety. In many cases they will fill your tank for training purposes.

4) I use an Oximeter to track O2 blood levels and the Ebay system works just as well as the high dollar units.

There simply is no reason to spend $500+ on an oxygen system that you can get for $100 or so on Ebay. Use the savings for fuel.
RV-7 N717EE-Flying (Sold)
RV-7 N707EE-Building
EMS Bell 407,
Eurocopter 350 A-Star Driver
Old 04-09-2008, 12:48 PM

Default Save-a-buck

I just got a regulator on Ebay for 99 cents!
It's a Precision PM-168708D and only weighs 7.4 ounces.
It flows .25 to 8 LPM, and fits on a medical square post bottle. It's small too.
So now I have 2 sets: C bottles with regulators and oxymiser cannulas.
My RV-8 isn't flying yet, but we have a Cessna 172 and fly the Cascades alot. The Mrs is a CFII so we switch flying. Now we have 2 redundant systems to throw in the back seat with the flight bags.
I guess I'll use a Tee to 2 flow meters in the RV, and only carry one bottle because there isn't much room.
For two people, 8 liters per minute might not be enough for an altitude record attempt, but below IFR altitudes it should be OK.
RV-8 N89SE first flight 12/26/2013
Yak55M, and the wife has an RV-4
There is nothing-absolute nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing around with Aeroplanes
(with apologies to Ratty)
Old 04-09-2008, 02:21 PM

A quick note about tanks - make sure they've hydro tested the tank recently, preferably with a visual inspection as well. There's a wide range in the tanks available on eBay, from those in great condition to those in terrible condition. Buyer beware, since having a tank valve blow off has punched holes in the side of more than one vet clinic, and I'm pretty sure their walls are thicker than the sides of aircraft.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:57 PM

You don't need 8l/min. .25 to .5 is plenty. for two up to 15,000ft.