VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 08-12-2017, 01:50 PM

Default Breathing protection?

Anyone have a good recommendation for breathing protection for priming parts using a rattle can of when grinding with a scotchbrite wheel?
Old 08-12-2017, 03:16 PM

3M 4251 organic vapour half mask respirator.

Use it for all painting - under $20, just replace every 4 months and keep sealed when not in use to preserve carbon.

http://solutions.3m.co.uk/wps/portal...294857496&rt=d

Donated in 2017
Old 08-12-2017, 03:34 PM

Added to Mike's suggestion is a mesh table to let overspray pass through. It makes a huge difference when the overspray is not bouncing back in your face.

I made mine out of a 2X4 frame and Home Depot plastic fence mesh. I made a catch chamber out of a HF tarp stapled to the bottom.
I also added a box fan with a furnace filter as I was using a water based primer.

Non-explosion proof fans with solvent paint are not recommended so a cage fan driven by a belt with a remote motor is a possible alternative.
RV Hotel
Dues paid 2017
Old 08-12-2017, 05:11 PM

You are going to spend a long time in this mask, so get the most comfortable one you can. The 3M 7500 series half mask is made out of a silicone rubber that is super comfortable and conforms well to your face. It is available in 3 different sizes, but the 7502 (medium) is the most common. Regarding cartridges, I use the 60923 Organic Vapor/Acid Gas for spraying etch primer and doing chem work (sikaflex, etc) and 2297 P100 Particulate Filter With Nuisance Vapor Organic relief when doing general grinding/edge finishing work/fiberglass work. The second style of filter is a little lighter, although offers the high level of particulate protection, and you will find it far more comfortable wearing it for weeks on end of edge finishing. It also fits well under a welding mask if necessary. Although the mask and filters should be stored in a sealed container, I find it important to take your mask into the house to let is dry off for a day or so before closing it in a sealed container to stop the filters going mouldy from the damp air as you breath out. Also, after a day of exposed to chem it pays to let the mask "off gas" in a clean air environment for a day before sealing it up in the box, otherwise you will find the internal silicone in the mask will absorb some of the vapour and you will be sniffing it the next time you wear it. Good luck and congratulations for taking respiratory protection seriously. I know many people who haven't that are no longer with us.
Tom.
Old 08-12-2017, 07:06 PM

Default 60926

I prefer 60926 filters. If you store it in a sealed container, toss in a few dessicant bags to absorb humidity.
wirejock at yahoo dot com
Donated 12/01/2016. Plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (1,800+ hours)
HS SB, empennage, tanks, wings, fuse, working finishing kit
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 08-12-2017, 07:53 PM

If all you are using is spray can paint a half mask may be ok with a paint box that evacuates the vapors outside, but these only provide a protection factor of 10, a full face 3M with organic vapor filters gives you a protection factor of 50. There are many threads on paint here, lots of info. Guilty of painting my airplane in the garage, Base-Clear with all the bad stuff....and lived to tell the story