VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 08-11-2017, 05:10 PM

Default Bearing packer?

May I ask a dumb question? What kind of bearing packer are people using? I see some of them have Zerk fittings and some don't. Which is better?
Old 08-11-2017, 05:21 PM

In my neck of the woods this is popular. I think if you shop this item it can had for less money else where, maybe.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/SER774005
Old 08-11-2017, 05:21 PM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopercod View Post
May I ask a dumb question? What kind of bearing packer are people using? I see some of them have Zerk fittings and some don't. Which is better?
I've tried several of them - and always end up using the palm of my hand fingers to work the grease in, just the way my Grandad taught me a long time ago. The gimmicky ones just don't seem to do the job I'd like. The only change is that I wear nitrile gloves these day, because it makes it easier to clean up my hands afterwards.

On solvents, I had always been taught to use Stoddard Solvent for aviation work, and have done that for years too - but nowadays, its hard to find by that name. I did some research, and it turns out that Stoddard is another name for Mineral Spirits, so that is what I have been using lately. Much less likely to go "boom" than gasoline or Avgas (which I have also used in a pinch, but prefer not to take the risk if I don't have to.
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 08-11-2017, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironflight View Post
I've tried several of them - and always end up using the palm of my hand fingers to work the grease in, just the way my Grandad taught me a long time ago. The gimmicky ones just don't seem to do the job I'd like. The only change is that I wear nitrile gloves these day, because it makes it easier to clean up my hands afterwards.

On solvents, I had always been taught to use Stoddard Solvent for aviation work, and have done that for years too - but nowadays, its hard to find by that name. I did some research, and it turns out that Stoddard is another name for Mineral Spirits, so that is what I have been using lately. Much less likely to go "boom" than gasoline or Avgas (which I have also used in a pinch, but prefer not to take the risk if I don't have to.
Sounds like the way I pack bearings. Dad taught me that way more years ago that I can remember.

Stoddard solvent is my preference if cleaning out all the way. Have been known to use mineral spirits, diesel fuel, and Jet A but NEVER gasoline or 100LL. Did not know mineral spirits and Stoddard solvent was the same thing. Around my airport, people talk about using Varsol. Sounds like we all use the same thing but has different names.
3,300+ hours
Building RV-8 S/N: 80012

To most people, the sky is the limit.
To those who love aviation, the sky is home.
Old 08-11-2017, 06:31 PM

The 104 flash point safety clean was my favorite in a solvent tank, then emissions regulations started taking over and then 140 flash point, did not clean as well, then the orange juice solvent, then the heated water base with soap and live bugs that eat grease, take the parts out and then they would rust. Then they took our solvent tank away! so now we use cans and cans of brake clean........what fumes? bet you can't guess what state this is.........getting rid of hazard material is expensive. By the time you buy many cans of cleaner, you could probably buy new bearings and pack them.......
Old 08-11-2017, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel View Post
NEVER spin a bearing with compressed air. If it is not packed with grease, you will put more wear on it in a few seconds than a lifetime of normal use.

As said before, just pack in new grease until the dirty grease is expelled.
That's what the Air Force taught me a long time ago when they were trying to make me into a helicopter mechanic. Both of these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
Re-pack with Sta-lube boat trailer grease from Napa Auto parts..... touch it and you will understand.
That's what I use on my C-180. Works great.

Dave
Old 08-11-2017, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironflight View Post
I've tried several of them - and always end up using the palm of my hand fingers to work the grease in, just the way my Grandad taught me a long time ago.
Yep! That's the way I was taught by my Dad and that's the way I still do it.
<n168tx(at)flytx.net>
North Texas (8TA5)
RV-6 Flying since 1993
175hp O-320
3-Blade Catto (since 2003)
FRIEND of the RV-1
Eagle's Nest Mentor
Old 08-11-2017, 06:41 PM

Default Diesel

I've started using diesel for most parts cleaning. It's much cheaper than mineral spirits; just take an empty gallon oil jug to the service station. If left uncovered when you're not around for a bit, most of the smell goes away.

Cheers, David
RV-6A A&P
Old 08-11-2017, 06:43 PM

Stoddard solvent or mineral spirits depending what I have and then rinse with brake cleaner. Always thought having the solvent residue left on the bearing could break down the new grease. Brake clean leaves very little residue.
A lot easier to inspect bearing for pitting if you clean them before packing with fresh grease.
Based at 1H0 (Creve Coeur)
Paid dues yearly since 2007

Last edited by plehrke : 08-11-2017 at 06:54 PM.
Old 08-12-2017, 09:22 AM

Sounds like mineral spirits and brake cleaner is the ticket. I have so much brake dust from dragging brakes I don't want to just push more grease in. Now working on what is dragging the brakes.