Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: EFIS or SIX-PACK
EFIS 112 90.32%
SIX-PACK (digital) 7 5.65%
SIX-PACK (vacuum steam) 5 4.03%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-10-2017, 09:59 AM

I will definitely have an EFIS but I am playing with the thought of having a separate analog altimeter as I even after around 200 hours behind Garmin1000, still do not react as quickly to unwanted altitude changes as when flying behind a 6-pack.
RV-14 kit #140138
working on the fuselage kit
wings done, tail kit almost done
Http://magnusrv.blogspot.se
Old 08-10-2017, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbuilder2002 View Post
I agree.

There has been comments that such and such method is easier.....

Easy in anything is usually based prior knowledge or experience that can be applied to a new experience or situation.

Someone that learns using an EFIS from the very beginning wouldn't consider analog displays to be easier.

I assure you it can be learned. And once learned, jumping back and forth between analog and traditional EFIS/PFD is then no big deal.
Scott, so I can drop the subject, why aren't standby/whiskey compasses required anymore?
Old 08-10-2017, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirHound View Post
Scott, so I can drop the subject, why aren't standby/whiskey compasses required anymore?
If you look up the equipment requirements in the FAR's, it says you must have a "magnetic heading indicator" Something that derives its heading disply using the magnetic field of the earth. All EFIS systems that I am aware of use a magnetometer to do that so they meet the requirement.

The problem is there are still some airworthiness inspectors that have their own personal interpretation of what that requirement means.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 08-10-2017, 06:18 PM

Right! thank you, what are your thoughts about my following interpretation of that FAA verbiage? In what sounds like an extreme and highly unlikely circumstance, where the EFIS display totally fails, and the magnetometer is useless, this leaves the unprepared pilot without a backup NAV aid.
I agree with the general sport pilot community this scenario as unlikely and in my case, barring an untimely EMP event, I will likely survive the day with a hand held of some sort.

Last edited by AirHound : 08-10-2017 at 06:20 PM.
Old 08-10-2017, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Right! thank you, what are your thoughts about my following interpretation of that FAA verbiage? In what sounds like an extreme and highly unlikely circumstance, where the EFIS display totally fails, and the magnetometer is useless, this leaves the unprepared pilot without a backup NAV aid.
I agree with the general sport pilot community this scenario as unlikely and in my case, barring an untimely EMP event, I will likely survive the day with a hand held of some sort.
No one flying IFR should have a system where a single failure precludes continued IFR flight. Hand held is not adequate.

Carl
Old 08-10-2017, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Froehlich View Post
No one flying IFR should have a system where a single failure precludes continued IFR flight. Hand held is not adequate.

Carl
How about VFR Carl.
Old 08-10-2017, 10:52 PM

Quote:
How about VFR Carl.
Since this is the RV-12 forum, VFR is the context I was thinking in, which is why all that should be needed for standard equipment in the airplane is the single magnetic heading indicator.

I am a firm believer in use of the back up equipment called "look out the window".

With the level of information that we have in airplanes with EFIS systems today, any proficient pilot should at the moment the screen goes dark, know exactly where he is, what the winds are, what his ground speed is, and with the use of their paper chart or what ever other back up map method they have chosen, be able to navigate to a nearby airport.

If they can't, then it would probably be best if they don't get out of sight of their home airport.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 08-11-2017, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbuilder2002 View Post

If they can't, then it would probably be best if they don't get out of sight of their home airport.
How we wish it were true........sigh......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contro...t_into_terrain
N251Y (res)
Dec2016
Old 08-11-2017, 08:19 AM

Should add:

I'm only a VFR guy; I flew steam gauges all the way through training and the first 10 years of flying Dad's -6. When he changed to a Skyview it didn't have the six-pack available yet, so I started flying the PFD presentation. I had no trouble with that part. The much greater challenge was transitioning to using knots instead of statute miles per hour.

But, I also had thousands(?) of hours of PC flight sim flying as a kid, with both steam and PFD/HUD displays.

I can't speak much to flying IMC and all that, but from some experimenting we've done with the -6 I've found it easier to fly under the hood than I remember the steam C150 being. But again, I have no formal IFR training.

Last edited by rmartingt : 08-11-2017 at 08:23 AM.