Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2017, 11:28 AM

My plane has an unused VOR antenna since I don't have a NAV receiver. I ran the coax from that to a BNC bulkhead fitting in the panel. In a pinch, I can connect my handheld to that with a short piece of coax. Yes, I realize the VOR antenna is horizontally polarized and COMM antennas are vertically polarized, but it seems to work. Also, I have a headset adapter for my Icom handheld so I could still use my headset (noisy cockpit).
Old 08-10-2017, 11:31 AM

Be aware that those 'switch boxes' can be built with about $10-$15 in parts. They consist of a pair of BNC bulkhead females and a 1/8" 'normally closed' jack, like what you'd find in a 'boom box' with an external speaker jack. While they will work fine, they will almost always destroy your carefully set up SWR (if you sweat that).

The simplest, lowest loss, cheapest, and most reliable method is just a bulkhead mount BNC female on the end of the a/c antenna cable, and a male/male cable from the panel mount radio. Mount the BNC female where it's in reach (near the bottom edge of the panel usually works), and if the panel mount fails, unhook the coax from the panel mount and attach the coax from your handheld.

Did I mention that all this stuff has been covered ad nauseam on the Aeroelectric list, and I'm pretty sure it's in 'the book'. You do have the book, right?

Your issues with Icom is an example of why I'm not much of a fan of their stuff. ('It's not a bug; it's a feature....')

Charlie
Old 08-10-2017, 11:41 AM

Do your self a favor, add a separate antenna. Nor worries about interference or signal loss with connections to your main radio. A dedicated antenna is worth it. I've had them on 2 aircraft in the past and am planning to add one to my next one.
Old 08-10-2017, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV12JT View Post
Do your self a favor, add a separate antenna. Nor worries about interference or signal loss with connections to your main radio. A dedicated antenna is worth it. I've had them on 2 aircraft in the past and am planning to add one to my next one.
An alternative is to mount your com radio (if it is a remote unit with a small panel mounted control head) so that you can easily access the coax connection in flight.
I have the one in my RV-6A mounted this way and I carry a 3' long coax extension to connect it to my hand held if my primary radio fails.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 08-11-2017, 08:46 AM

I've got the stock E-LSA configuration with the SL-40. Hence I cannot reach the panel antenna without messing the paint, panel or instrument access.

A a further note,Icom finally called back yesterday and in fact confirmed(after further checking) that the mic issue is a hidden 'feature', not a bug. Not anywhere in their literature, but will be now that they have confirmed this added 'feature'. 😂
Old 08-11-2017, 09:27 AM

In a situation with a total radio failure and all else is working fine... wondering how well a hand held would get out using the ELT's antenna cable connected to the hand held?

On the RV-12 (original version) the excess ELT antenna wire is tie-wrapped to the body of the ELT unit which is behind the passenger seat. The ELT is reachable (I think) and it may be doable to disconnect the BNC connector and move the ELT's antenna cable over to a hand held. Also it may even be easier to run a short antenna cable from the hand held directly to the connector at the base of the antenna (which if memory servers me also has a BNC connection).

Just curious if anybody has tried this in a pinch? If so, did the ELT's antenna perform better than the typical antenna that comes with the hand held?
Now Flying!!

Dues paid until September 2017
Old 08-11-2017, 09:35 AM

Messing with the aircraft radio antenna cable could cause an eventual radio failure that would not occur without the handheld radio installation. It is better to use a separate, independent antenna, external or even within the cabin.
Radio problems are just as likely to be caused by a bad antenna or cable as by failed electronics. The backup radio should be completely independent.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:05 AM

Has anyone had success with the suction-cup antenna extension?. I've heard they do not enhance reception distance over the rubber ducky. Sounds like a good investment to simply add a second comm antenna for back up.

Would an inactive second antenna interfere with the active comm antenna co-located on the belly?