VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 08-05-2017, 07:12 AM

Thank you everyone for responses! Thats why I love this forum. Really allows a diverse range of opinions that I find very useful in the decision making process. Everyones feedback was VERY helpful!
Flying Mooney M20J
Emp Kit Completed, Fuse 1% done, QB Wings on the way.
Dues Paid 2017
Old 08-05-2017, 07:26 AM

Default My $.02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan B View Post
My airplane is equipped with dual GNC-420Ws (no ILS or VOR). For the last 6 1/2 years, I most often file IFR. 99% of the runways I land on have an RNAV approach, but no ILS. I have encountered GPS interference testing from White Sands at higher altitudes. First thing ATC did when I reported the interference was put me on a vector. RADAR is always a viable backup to loss of a nav system. I have yet to encounter a need for ILS or VOR capability in my airplane.
During my time as an AF initial flight training instructor (only a couple years ago), we flew almost exclusively into civilian fields for training. Virtually all had both RNAV & VOR/ILS/TACAN approaches.

Dan is certainly correct that radar is a viable backup, but the question you have to ask yourself is how much do you want to put your fate in the hands of someone not in the plane with you?

Is the space weather good for that day? What about some other interference? I can't count how many days students planned to do approaches somewhere the day before only to find that a NAVAID was out the next day or RAIM wasn't available for an RNAV approach minutes before we arrived. Granted the RAIM was a tiny fraction of those events, it speaks to an idea. As mentioned by others above, IFR is about redundancy and the worst time to have none is when you're actually facing IMC and there just happens to be interference in the vicinity of the airport at which you want to land or a system is degraded for some reason. How many airports have PAR approaches these days? If they don't and you're in IMC with a GPS problem, you're in a pickle.

Reference the link below for GPS "interference" instances.
https://www.cnet.com/news/truck-driv...ewark-airport/

PLEASE NOTE THIS IS AN ILLEGAL PRODUCT IN THE US, but this thing is less than $400 bucks and there are others out there for less than that. They also advertise to a US market. You can make one for less than $100 according to mainstream news outlets here in the US.
https://www.jammer-store.com/gj6-all...r-blocker.html

So, my $.02 is what I liked to tell my students when asked about why we still use NAVAIDs instead of just GPS, and what I've always heard. "Always have an out." That applies to VFR, IFR/IMC, driving down the highway, heck...walking around somewhere you're not familiar with. If you can afford a VOR/ILS Nav/Comm, it's cheap(??) insurance in my book if you end up in actual IMC.

RV-7A
https://jmintjrv7a.wordpress.com/
EMPENNAGE
VS - In Progress!
Old 08-05-2017, 11:12 AM

I was also originally considering the GTN 625 instead of the 650 due to the considerable cost savings. However after discussions with a number of CFIIs and other knowledgeable people I opted to spend the extra $ and get the 650.

One of the significant factors in my decision was being told that without the ILS/VOR in my aircraft I would not be able to use it for my IFR check ride. I do not currently have an IFR rating, but plan to obtain one once I have completed Phase 1 testing of my new RV-10. Since I will only be flying cross country in my own airplane, I want to take my IFR training and check ride in my own plane, so that I am completely familiar with the equipment and panel layout. I don't want to have to rent a different plane in order to get training in ILS approaches and to take my check ride.

For those already IFR rated, this may not be a consideration.

I also considered the idea of adding a used NAV Com to the GTN 625 to save some money, but with all I am spending on my RV-10 and the rest of the avionics, this didn't seem to me to be a wise decision.

There is no single "right answer". You are building and experimental aircraft, which gives you the privilege of building and equipping the plane to fit your needs and wants. Do what works for you!

RV-10 Finishing Kit in-progress
2017 VAF Dues Paid