- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-9/9A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2017, 06:57 AM

Default E bottle

Probably doesn't matter but an "E" is significantly longer than the bottle in the above pix. A couple Aerox clamps ($32 ea at PilotMall) on the flap cover might only clamp the lower 1/3 of an "E" bottle. Also might have to consider co-pilots head as the E setup will extend well beyond the seat back.
I went with the "D" bottle (only 15 cu/ft) which has the perfect height of 24 inches. I was sorely tempted by the "M" bottle (also only 24 inches, 22 cu/ft, 7/8" greater diameter).

Carl
Old 08-05-2017, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS Flightlines View Post
With those locations, it seems like it would be alittle tough to turn on the valve while in flight. Is it? Sounds like a dumb question, and you may be turning it on, before you depart, knowing you were going to a higher altitude.
So, what if you were enroute, and needed to turn it on?

Only asking because I was thinking about O2 for my 7 (if I get that far)

Tom
Mine's in the same place as Bruce's - D cylinder on the passenger side flap arm cover. It's no problem at all to reach to turn on/off in flight.
Old 08-05-2017, 09:55 AM

Thanks to everyone for all the information. My RV-9A has a full interior including panels in the baggage area. All the pictures seem to show just painted metal in the baggage area. Anyone have experience with putting in an oxygen bottle with interior panels? I'm considering taking out the panels to save a little weight but my wife likes the finished look.
Old 08-07-2017, 07:47 AM

I have the panels in my baggage compartment as well - I just fabbed a couple small metal brackets in a "Z" shape that riveted to the vertical stiffeners, turn 90 degrees and come between the panels at their joint, then 90 degrees again. I put the E bottle up next to that bracket and put a band clamp around it. One at the floor, one at the panel gap which is about 3/4 of the way up, holds it quite well.
Built an off-plan 9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.
Old 08-07-2017, 10:22 PM

Default Oxygen tank installation pictures

How about horizontally, centered below the panel above and between pilot and passengers legs. Quick disconnect mount would be needed. Valve and gauge would be easy to see and might help C/G on cross country trips.
Old 08-07-2017, 11:00 PM

Default That works

That's what I did. I made a carbon fiber box to mount the bottle on. It covers the fuel pump/filter assembly, provides a spot to store tools (weight fwd), and has room for the cannulas too. When I don't need the O2, I pull the bottle and the clamps saving 12 pounds.

Ed Holyoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.sun View Post
How about horizontally, centered below the panel above and between pilot and passengers legs. Quick disconnect mount would be needed. Valve and gauge would be easy to see and might help C/G on cross country trips.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:34 AM

A "D" bottle setup in my 9A. As others have done, attach to flap actuator cover, used riveted doubler behind.
Easy removal of bottle AND straps when not in use. Brackets by Aerox, purchased at PilotMall (32 ea).

Carl

Last edited by Dreamin9 : 08-24-2017 at 10:39 AM.