- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-7/7A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2017, 11:18 AM

Default Building fuel sender question

Good day everyone,
I am getting to the point where I need to plan my tanks and get things ordered as I will probably be working on them in less than a month. My question for you guys is on drawing OP07 there is a bill of materials for capacative fuel senders. The plates they list are T-813 but it does not show up on Van's "the list". So does anyone have the dimensions of this plate, mainly the width of it (the rest I can figure out by tracing a rib). Is there a better/ different way that people are doing fuel senders now? I tried to search the forums but no dice. Thanks!
Working on Wings
Exempt but gladly paying!
Old 08-04-2017, 12:00 PM

Default Complete package

Do you already have the electronics for the cap fuel senders?
It sems these have fallen out of favor. May i suggest you check with Vans or other vendors?

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for thier use.

Extra dues paid 2017, worth every penny

RV9A- Status: tail feathers done less tips
Wings 50%
www.pilotjohnsrv9.blogspot.com
Old 08-04-2017, 12:12 PM

No I have nothing as of yet for the senders. I have been looking at the Princeton fuel sensors but they are pricey at about $145 per tank. I would love to hear what most people these days are doing.
Working on Wings
Old 08-04-2017, 12:16 PM

My tanks were built years ago by the initial builder with capacitance senders. I don't think Vans offers them any more in favor of the float type. They are finicky to get calibrated, in my experience.

The float type, you'll find work fine but they read full down to about 15 gallons due to their placement in the tank.

Also, float senders do not require a capacitance to voltage converter (~$50 each from Dynon).
PlanePower Alt, Catto 3 blade NLE, FlightLines Interior, James cowl & plenum
All lines by TSFlightLines (AKA Hoser)
NSDQ

"The object of the game, gentlemen, is not to cheat death: the object is not to let him play."
Patrick Poteen, Sgt. U.S. Army

- - 2016/17 donation compliant - -
Old 08-04-2017, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymo View Post
My tanks were built years ago by the initial builder with capacitance senders. I don't think Vans offers them any more in favor of the float type. They are finicky to get calibrated, in my experience.

The float type, you'll find work fine but they read full down to about 15 gallons due to their placement in the tank.

Also, float senders do not require a capacitance to voltage converter (~$50 each from Dynon).
Interesting Raymo, I have heard of a few people having difficulties with capacative senders but I also heard of many people say how flippin accurate they are which is appealing for the relatively low cost. Every plane I have flown has only had float types on it and lets put it this way, I never once looked at the gauges because I was told not to trust them. Not to mention the fact that I don't think I have ever got into the airplane without visually checking the tanks.
Working on Wings
Old 08-04-2017, 12:53 PM

My experience with them is that they are indeed finicky to calibrate correctly - but once that is done they are VERY accurate as long as you are constantly running the same type of fuel. I was running 91E10 mogas and 100LL as a mixture from 0% to 100% based on filling with mogas at home and 100LL on the road, and they have way different dielectric constants, so my readings were almost never accurate with a fuel mix in the tank other than 100% either way. I changed them out for float senders since they don't care what the mixture is, but if you stick to 100LL you'll be fine and you'll enjoy the accuracy - after you write the check for the higher cost of the components and of course the capacitance-to-voltage converters. Princeton converters are the best to have, IMHO.
Built an off-plan 9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.
Old 08-04-2017, 12:57 PM

I've got a full capacitive sender kit for my RV-7. I am using it as a template to buy the parts and sell a few kits.

I already have made several kits of the delrin spacers by cutting delrin stock on my laser cutter and they actually look better than the ones that Vans shipped (they were cut on a lathe and needed a bit of finishing work).

I am working with a few metal shops here in town to find someone who can punch a few lots of them using the Vans original plates as a template.

If I can get a full kit sourced, I am planning on asking Vans permission to start making a few and selling them. I'd probably have to come up with my own diagrams or installation pictures, as I doubt they give me permission to reproduce them.
Wing Kit Started - June 2017
My Build Log: http://www.theskunkwerx.com

VAF Donation paid for 2017
Old 08-04-2017, 01:42 PM

I went with the floats, did the Dynon cal one gallon at a time, map it in the set up menu and your set. The sender readings are averaged out over a specific period of time to calculate for fuel in motion and appear to be very accurate under the 16 gallon start of the sweep.
Old 08-04-2017, 03:14 PM

airguy thanks for the reply, I read in a different thread where you were talking about the calibration problems, maybe something I need to consider as different fuels may be an option.

lynn I was wondering what you were up to with this as we are basically in the same spot. Let me know if you have any developments

Bret that is nice to know about the floats. I plan on using Dynon so it is nice to know that it is an accurate system should I go that route.
Working on Wings
Old 08-04-2017, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubedRoot View Post
I've got a full capacitive sender kit for my RV-7. I am using it as a template to buy the parts and sell a few kits.

I already have made several kits of the delrin spacers by cutting delrin stock on my laser cutter and they actually look better than the ones that Vans shipped (they were cut on a lathe and needed a bit of finishing work).

I am working with a few metal shops here in town to find someone who can punch a few lots of them using the Vans original plates as a template.

If I can get a full kit sourced, I am planning on asking Vans permission to start making a few and selling them. I'd probably have to come up with my own diagrams or installation pictures, as I doubt they give me permission to reproduce them.
Lynn just as a side note I'm sure the plates could made by tracing a rib and subtracting the 5/32 from each edge as shown on OP07, the info that is not shown is how wide the plate is. The plate looks like it is 5" wide and I'm assuming it doesn't have to be exact as it will be calibrated anyways. If this is the case I may just make one.
Working on Wings