Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 08-04-2017, 07:46 AM

Default Possible repeat offender

Hi All,
I completed an RV12 last year (a five month build beginning with a Synergy Air quick built kit). The kit and instructions were terrific, and the plane is a joy to fly. Unfortunately, I really miss the building process and am considering starting an RV14A QB. I was wondering if anyone has experience with both kits, and can compare them (quality, completeness, flying characteristics, etc.) beyond a comparison of the specs.
Thanks!
Barry
Old 08-04-2017, 09:51 AM

A buddy of mine is building a 12, the 14 is more complex and will take longer as just about everything is regular rivets, very few pop rivets.

I'm spending 20-30 hours per week (with help) and he's spending about 10-15 hours per week (by himself) and we're about at the same place.

But the 14 is a more capable and larger airplane, worth the effort, and it is fun to build.
#140376 RV-14A QB IO-390 Thunderbolt
Reserved: N196
Progress: Finishing Kit
Old 08-04-2017, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernsbm View Post
Hi All,
I completed an RV12 last year (a five month build beginning with a Synergy Air quick built kit). The kit and instructions were terrific, and the plane is a joy to fly. Unfortunately, I really miss the building process and am considering starting an RV14A QB. I was wondering if anyone has experience with both kits, and can compare them (quality, completeness, flying characteristics, etc.) beyond a comparison of the specs.
Thanks!
Barry
Wish you lived here in our neck of the woods Barry. We could always use another experienced mentor for our Eagle's Nest RV-12 Student Built Project. Can never have too many mentors!
Old 08-04-2017, 12:34 PM

Or if you really like to build, might I recommend an RV-3B? There's plenty of good building fun in that kit.

Dave
Old 08-04-2017, 01:16 PM

Or start your own youth RV-12 build project in your area.......

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")