- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2017, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitink72 View Post
I have thought a cold air induction setup would be nice too, I think it's around a $5k option from BPE. What would our options be for doing cold air induction on a thunderbolt?
Lycoming has been working on new stuff. They already offer a C-model 390 with cold air and claim 215 HP. I'd call Jeff Schans if I wanted the latest info on factory 540 parts.

The primary reason to use a BPE manifold is the ability to bolt up a larger throttle body.

Last edited by DanH : 08-04-2017 at 08:34 AM.
Old 08-04-2017, 09:14 AM

There are other choices of manifolds if you want to use RSA-10 sized throttle bodies:

https://ravenaircraft.com/products2/...uction-system/

http://skydynamics.com/products/engi...old-air-intake

You'd want to check clearance and fitment for your applications.

Ross Farnham, Calgary, Alberta
Turbo Subaru EJ22, Marcotte M-300, IVO, RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW- 415.8 hrs. on the Hobbs,
RV10 95% built- Sold 2016
http://www.sdsefi.com/aircraft.html
http://sdsefi.com/cpi.htm

Old 08-04-2017, 11:06 AM

Thanks for the great info everyone..

Ross - Are you saying that your system with RSA -10 TB cannot be used with the Lycoming vertical sump and regular vans cowling for the 540? I understand the potentially less than "best" even airflow with a vert sump vs other options.

Wondering if Vans is working on a horizontal sump cowling for the 10 like the other models? Really don't want to start jumping through the hoops for a show planes cowl, new spinner, etc. (even though the look pretty cool!)
Old 08-04-2017, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluskydreamin View Post
Thanks for the great info everyone..

Ross - Are you saying that your system with RSA -10 TB cannot be used with the Lycoming vertical sump and regular vans cowling for the 540? I understand the potentially less than "best" even airflow with a vert sump vs other options.

Wondering if Vans is working on a horizontal sump cowling for the 10 like the other models? Really don't want to start jumping through the hoops for a show planes cowl, new spinner, etc. (even though the look pretty cool!)
To my knowledge, and let me say there are several different factory Lycoming sump/ intakes out there and I haven't seen all of them yet, all vertical sumps use an RSA-5 sized flange and hole. We supply a 60mm throttle body for these, same as used on most 4 cylinder Lycomings. This TB has a 56mm oulet hole, 60mm bore at the butterfly.

On a 260hp 540, this may offer some restriction and cost some hp at high rpm. Only a back to back dyno test would tell the story on that aspect. Looking at it another way though, it's probably less restrictive that the factory carb with the fuel nozzles and venturi in the airstream.

Most 540s we've supplied EFI for have gone with some form of horizontal induction and our 80mm TB. A number of these have dynoed at well over 275hp.

You just want to be sure it fits under whatever cowling you plan to use.

Here is our 60 and 80mm TBs for reference.

Turbo Subaru EJ22, Marcotte M-300, IVO, RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW- 415.8 hrs. on the Hobbs,

Last edited by rv6ejguy : 08-04-2017 at 03:27 PM.
Old 08-05-2017, 07:34 AM

Another option for the SDS 80mm TB on the standard updraft sump is to build an adapter. I turned a hunk of aluminum into this adapter in about an hour on my lathe:

WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
PA-20-inspired "family truckster" -in work
Old 08-05-2017, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toobuilder View Post
Another option for the SDS 80mm TB on the standard updraft sump is to build an adapter. I turned a hunk of aluminum into this adapter in about an hour on my lathe:
Mike, what is the diameter of the sump opening?
Old 08-05-2017, 08:34 AM

Dan,

My D4A5 sump is set up for the RSA-5 bolt pattern. What follows is a copy of my project log I have going on another forum:

... Shown below is the significant discontinuity in the size of the TB and sump.

Once again my ancient but reliable South Bend lathe makes a lot of aluminum chips

Here is the MDF template and the finished part.

Its standing proud of the mount surface more than it needs to, but it is the same height as the tuned 300 hp sump I intend to use later. If it works out right, all the integration hardware I'm doing now will allow a direct swap with the new sump. And more importantly, there will be only one change (the sump), so I'll be able to tell if the change helps or hurts performance.

Another graphic display of the size difference between the sump and the TB. Obviously not ideal, but it should work for a while.

WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
PA-20-inspired "family truckster" -in work
Old 08-05-2017, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toobuilder View Post
Dan,

My D4A5 sump is set up for the RSA-5 bolt pattern.
So what is the measured diameter?
Old 08-05-2017, 11:46 AM

Default EFII

We have standard parts for the RSA-10 sumps (3 1/2" throat) for use with our 80mm throttle body. We have many high horsepower 540s (and the 8 cylinder Relentless NXT) running these parts.
We also have the correct size 65 mm throttle bodies and sump adapters for the RSA-5 size (2 3/8") sumps.

Robert Paisley
Over 400 aircraft equipped with EFII

Last edited by rcpaisley : 08-05-2017 at 11:49 AM.
Old 08-05-2017, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
So what is the measured diameter?
The Lyc. gasket hole measures 60mm.