- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2017, 12:44 PM

Default Elevator Horn and Rigging

We finished rigging the elevators and the manual says there will be some offset with the horns, ours are off about 1/4 inch.

Everything seemed to rig well and we get the minimum 25 degrees of negative deflection and at least 30 positive, but the left elevator has considerably more negative deflection (almost 5 degrees) than the right, guessing due to where I drilled the hole.

Any thoughts? Just leave and "build on"?

Assuming that the final rigging will not be full deflection .. haven't read that far ahead.

If I did want to get them more consistent I guess I would need to have someone weld the hole and re-drill, not sure how that's going to look.
#140376 RV-14A QB IO-390 Thunderbolt
Reserved: N196
Progress: Finishing Kit

Last edited by bkervaski : 08-01-2017 at 12:57 PM.
Old 08-01-2017, 01:00 PM

The deflection is dependent on the angle traveled when the horns hit the travel stops.
When two elevators are properly aligned with each other (and bolted together at the push rod connection point), they should move with the same amount of deflection angle when the horns hit the travel stops.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 08-01-2017, 01:03 PM

Quote:
The deflection is dependent on the angle traveled when the horns hit the travel stops.
When two elevators are properly aligned with each other (and bolted together at the push rod connection point), they should move with the same amount of deflection angle when the horns hit the travel stops.
They do, the difference is just when observing independently, not bolted.

Edit: Clarification, the forward most offset horn hits, but the elevators deflect the same amount when bolted together.

Last edited by bkervaski : 08-01-2017 at 01:07 PM.
Old 08-01-2017, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkervaski View Post
They do, the difference is just when observing independently, not bolted.

Edit: Clarification, the forward most offset horn hits, but the elevators deflect the same amount when bolted together.
BEFORE drilling the horns - you can adjust the rod ends on the side with more deflection to make the deflection equal, assuming you have good clearance from the spar - I adjusted each of mine away from spar slowly until I had the right amount of travel. Now that you've drilled horns, and as long as both elevators as a unit have good travel, you should be good to go. Probably not worth welding/re-drilling to make them "perfect".

Last edited by mturnerb : 08-01-2017 at 01:24 PM.
Old 08-01-2017, 01:25 PM

Quote:
BEFORE drilling the horns
Haha! My second RV is going to be perfect
Old 08-01-2017, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mturnerb View Post
BEFORE drilling the horns - you can adjust the rod ends on the side with more deflection to make the deflection equal, assuming you have good clearance from the spar - I adjusted each of mine away from spar slowly until I had the right amount of travel. Now that you've drilled horns, and as long as both elevators as a unit have good travel, you should be good to go. Probably not worth welding/re-drilling to make them "perfect".
Adjusting the rod end (elevator hinge points) lengths to vary the amount of deflection relative to the elevator stops is not recommended.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 08-01-2017, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbuilder2002 View Post
Adjusting the rod end (elevator hinge points) lengths to vary the amount of deflection relative to the elevator stops is not recommended.
Understood - I was actually describing adjustments to get full deflection without binding. My bad in not making that clear. Also:

1. It's REALLY hard to get the center of the rod end exactly 13/16" away from the spar since you are measuring to the middle of a hole AND there is 180 degrees of travel between options.

2. If one of the two for each elevator is off a bit, the elevator is more prone to bind

3. On first try one of my elevators bound enough that I had to let each rod end on that side out a tiny bit (like 1/2 turn on one side, 1 on the other). 13/16" still fell within a small range of error given the difficulty of measuring.

4. What other option does a builder have if there is binding, assuming adjustments to the rolled leading edge have been made to a reasonable extent?

5. I was describing the adjustments made to relieve binding, not in relation to the stops (range was adequate if taken to stops, binding was the problem)

6. After adjustments, distance from torque tube to spar was within specs as described on plans page 11-03.

Finally - I walked through everything I did with a DAR/A&P/EAA Tech Counselor who has built multiple Vans aircraft and he saw nothing wrong with this approach.

I should have been more clear in my description.

Last edited by mturnerb : 08-01-2017 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Tone of my response
Old 08-01-2017, 04:41 PM

Default My Take

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbuilder2002 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mturnerb View Post
Scott I spoke in your defense recently but this is the same kind of judgmental/critical response in a thread that I was defending you against. Perhaps a bit gentler, or at least more descriptive, response would serve the VAF community better?
Hmmm ... I read Scott's reply and did not think it was judgmental or critical. It seemed like just a statement.

BTW, I think Scott is pretty helpful here. Sometimes his reponses are short, but that may be because he replies to a lot of posts (sometimes with folks who seem to just want to argue), and I assume he has a life away from RV's and this Forum.
(Pic 1), (Pic 2), (Pic 3)
Glasflügel H-201B Standard Libelle, N564NS - No longer owned
Rolladen-Schneider LS1-f, N61MP - No longer owned

Last edited by RV8JD : 08-01-2017 at 04:46 PM.
Old 08-01-2017, 04:46 PM

This is what mine looks like .. considering plug welding and re-drilling to get it to align better, even though I'm getting 25 degrees.

Old 08-01-2017, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV8JD View Post
Hmmm ... I read Scott's reply and did not think it was judgmental or critical. It seemed like just a statement.

BTW, I think Scott is pretty helpful here. Sometimes his reponses are short, but that may be because he replies to a lot of posts, and I assume he has a life away from RV's and this Forum.
I stand corrected, but terse statements sometimes lead to confusion and - in their very brevity - can convey a dogmatic rather than instructive tone. FYI not only do I agree with you regarding Scott's being helpful - I said virtually the same thing in post #36 of this thread: http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...76#post1190276

I edited my post in fairness to Scott - the last thing I'd want is for him to be inhibited from contributing to this forum!

Last edited by mturnerb : 08-01-2017 at 04:50 PM.