VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 07-30-2017, 06:39 PM

Default New Door Hinge ?

I was wondering if anyone has used this product? With all the hoop-la I've read about the door, it seems like this would be a good thing to do.

http://airward.com/amelia/search.asp...6%7E426&id=426
Elevators - In the Works!
Old 07-30-2017, 09:38 PM

I installed these hinge reinforcements on N720JH. Although the use of nutplates on the underside of the canopy seemed like a good idea, it was very difficult to get everything to line up and remain in place. Those nutplates came loose more than once after being bonded to the canopy. After coming back from the paint shop I had to remove the doors because he had mixed up the hinges. With everything oriented correctly, I could not get all the bolts to start into the nutplates. So, I gave up and removed them. I still used the square reinforcement plates on the top side under the bolt heads, but just used conventional nuts and fender washers instead of the nutplates at the hinge attachment to the canopy. I think these reinforcements are a reasonably idea, look fine, but I gave up on making the nutplates on the canopy work.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:29 AM

Default The hinge itself is what will break

I lost a door to a C-130 prop blast while fueling on the ramp. The door lifted and the hinges snapped like toothpicks. Both the door and the canopy top fiberglass were left in perfect condition.

Luckily the door did a flip over the top of the canopy as it departed the airplane and landed in the grass. A couple of new hinges sent overnight from Van's and I flew the plane home. I also instated new proceedures that unless the plane was in the hangar, the doors are shut and locked unless I'm getting in or out.

My point - you can reinforce the door and canopy glass all you want, but that is not what will fail.

Carl
Old 07-31-2017, 08:07 AM

Default Interesting observation, Carl.

I am at this point RIGHT NOW in my door construction (last chance to do any hinge mods before door and cabin top close-out/dry micro) and I appreciate the field report. I will happily leave things per plans in this area.

Those reinforcement plates must be made of unobtanium. Too spendy for this guy.

Hop-Along Aerodrome (12VA)
RV-6A - N30YD - flying since '98
RV-10 - N130YD reserved - under construction

donating monthly to the VAF - thanks, Doug
Old 07-31-2017, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Froehlich View Post
I lost a door to a C-130 prop blast while fueling on the ramp. The door lifted and the hinges snapped like toothpicks. Both the door and the canopy top fiberglass were left in perfect condition.

Luckily the door did a flip over the top of the canopy as it departed the airplane and landed in the grass. A couple of new hinges sent overnight from Van's and I flew the plane home. I also instated new proceedures that unless the plane was in the hangar, the doors are shut and locked unless I'm getting in or out.

My point - you can reinforce the door and canopy glass all you want, but that is not what will fail.

Carl

Carl,

Were you using this hinge mod when you had your door issue?
Elevators - In the Works!
Old 07-31-2017, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwhip View Post
Carl,

Were you using this hinge mod when you had your door issue?
No.

Carl