- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2017, 09:48 AM

Arrow A/C

Hi Darren,
I'm just across the state from you at X50.
We have installed 4 A/C systems in RV-10s. One Flightline and 3 Airflows.
The Airflow is a simpler installation and not seen at all where Flightline wants it to be mounted in the baggage compartment, which we did not do. Fabricated everything to be behind the bulkhead.
If your RV-10 is already completed, Airflow does have a mod so the lines can be run under the belly....easy and we have done it.
Count on the possibility of cutting a hole and re-glassing a bulge in the lower left side cowling.
Email or call if you like for a more detailed opinion.........Joe...386-690-6455.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV82014 View Post
Looking for some info on air conditioning for RV 10. I've seen a few different options online. I live in Florida so hot and muggy. Who's happy with what they installed ? Thanks. Darren
Old 07-31-2017, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelioJoe View Post
The Airflow is a simpler installation and not seen at all where Flightline wants it to be mounted in the baggage compartment, which we did not do. Fabricated everything to be behind the bulkhead.
I have no experience with Airflow, so I can't speak to its simplicity. But I don't understand the bit about Flightline being mounted in the baggage compartment. It's not that way in my kit. Condenser inlet/outlet in second bay behind the baggage bulkhead. Package tray mounted above longerons behind baggage compartment, carrying condenser and evaporator. Lines running to compressor (mine is engine driven) hidden in right side panels; fill ports behind baggage compartment (though I was tempted to make them accessible without removing the baggage bulkhead). Returns on baggage bulkhead and the a/c venting into the overhead. Nothing is in my baggage compartment.

The only thing I wish I'd changed was to make the condenser inlet/outlet plenums removable so I could work in the aft tailcone without difficulty. As to how it performs, we won't know until I finally get this magnum opus in the air.
http://www.mykitlog.com/flion/
EAA Technical Counselor #5357
Old 08-02-2017, 07:29 AM

I'm using Airflow-System in my Rv10 for 7 years now. Couldn't live without it. Simple installation with the weight of the system distributed around the aircraft instead of all behind the baggage compartment. The new larger evaporator supplied by Air-Flow puts plenty of cold air in the cabin.
Greg..
Old 08-02-2017, 01:53 PM

I'm going with the Airflow Systems as well. I've also seen Gregs in person and the scoop is really sharp looking! Actually hope to have it installed over the next month while I wait on my engine.
Donated for 2017
Old 08-02-2017, 03:21 PM

Default Zero Breeze?

Saw this on Kickstarter- 14 lbs, runs on 12v DC (15 amps or so, or available with a battery backup).

Zero Breeze

Only 1100 BTU's- that's a problem, but I could imagine someone making a bank of 2-3 of these, hacking them together into a self-contained unit that puts out 3k BTU's and could be removable for luggage. At less than $2k.

Assuming the product makes it to market.
VAF Dues paid - 2017
Old 08-02-2017, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cczarnik View Post
Saw this on Kickstarter- 14 lbs, runs on 12v DC (15 amps or so, or available with a battery backup).

Zero Breeze

Only 1100 BTU's- that's a problem, but I could imagine someone making a bank of 2-3 of these, hacking them together into a self-contained unit that puts out 3k BTU's and could be removable for luggage. At less than $2k.

That is cool (literally) and would completely change the game for small aircraft AC. I wonder where they are at in their development, as the kick starter campaign was supposed to be done, with orders shipping in March of this year. Hmmm. These guys appear to be the same ones doing the IcyBreeze, which is basically a cooler type AC unit. I have one of these and it works great, which is why I'm not planning on AC in my RV-10. If their Zero Breeze works well and has no "non-functional" time (like after the ice melts in my IcyBreeze), then I would definitely be interested. Thanks for the link.
RV-10 (41PX Reserved) Fuselage
F-14 (Pedal Plane - Daughter's Project) "Flying"
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikrettig
Old 08-02-2017, 03:59 PM

Not sure where you will run the hot air out pipe if you use one of these Zero Breeze units in your plane. But since it is an AC unit with a compressor, the heat from the condenser will need to be ducted outside of your plane for it to work. That's why the Airflow condenser is mounted in a duct on the belly of the plan.

RV-10 Finishing Kit in-progress
2017 VAF Dues Paid
Old 08-03-2017, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cczarnik View Post

Zero Breeze

ADD a few more than 3 while you are in the process. I have 12,000 BTU/H capacity in the -10 and wish I had 18,000
Fisher Classic Cassler Power VW
RV-8 700+hrs Borrowed
SERFI AWARDS

http://weaselrv10.blogspot.com/

June '17
Old 08-03-2017, 04:36 PM

Default Airflow Systems Condenser Scoop

One part of my A/C System that has generated more conversations than the cold air that it produces is the Condenser Scoop mounted under the belly of the aircraft.

Some people love the look of the scoop (aka P-51 reference ),and others are amazed that it does not slow the aircraft down much.

The three other RV-10's that I fly with all have the same engine prop combos (stock IO-540 and Hatzell 2 blade )and once in cruise have similar speeds and fuel burn and my aircraft is the only one with A/C. Bill has often stated that there is a 0 to 1-2 knt penalty with the scoop and in my personal experience at LOP cruise with other RV-10's,it appears to be zero.Now I am sure that in a flat out max speed drag race there must be a difference but this is not how I fly.

I asked Bill at Airflow about this and received this reply that he was happy for me to share :

“Design considerations I used choosing to go with scoop;

My experience with certified aircraft air conditioning showed that many ADs had been issued because of Carbon Monoxide contamination for AC systems where condenser was positioned inside fuselage.
Mounting condenser outside of fuselage not a new idea, it has CG and maintenance benefits (access to tail cone).
What was new was Airflow Systems design efforts, with the help of wind tunnel, to create the absolute lowest drag, lowest weight, lowest electrical draw condenser installation.
Starting with a scoop that was certified for a Cessna AC system we were able to reduce drag by more than 50% through multiple design iterations where maintaining attached flow seen in the photos was the goal.

AC systems without scoops also have drag because no matter what system you have, you have to force air through the condenser and exit that air overboard. *that requires inlet holes and outlet holes which are never drag free.

*Note how the tufts are attached all the way back on the scoop indicating very little separation.* We found that we did not need as many louvres as shown in the photo and that reduced drag as well

I attended the San Diego State University where the wind tunnel is located in the early 70s (finished at another university) and never knew the wind tunnel was there until years later when I read a book by one of the professors on staff there. It was built in the early 60s using a cut down P-51 prop and a very big electric motor. *i wonder if my career would have been different had I known it was there, I really enjoyed the testing process and being able to develop new parts based on repeatable, reliable data.”

RV-10 #40597
Airflow Systems Air-Con
http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...4&postcount=15
VH-XTE 350hrs +
Redcliffe,Brisbane
Australia
Photos : https://goo.gl/photos/zsfBeVofHMe4ze7i7
Old 08-03-2017, 05:50 PM

Default AC

South Florida sport aviation. I'm very happy with it. Really nice interior as well.