- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2017, 05:48 AM

Default RV 10 air conditioning

Looking for some info on air conditioning for RV 10. I've seen a few different options online. I live in Florida so hot and muggy. Who's happy with what they installed ? Thanks. Darren
Old 07-30-2017, 08:10 AM

I am very happy with my Airflow systems A/C. I have over 300 hours on it.
Gave it a nice workout last week on an OSH trip where we used it about 80% of the time. Getting rid of the humidity is as beneficial as the cooler air. It's great to see all that water spewing down onto the ramp from the discharge tube when you shut down knowing that it's not soaking into your interior and avionics.
It's not an easy project, and it does add significant time to the build to get it right, but I would never build again without it.
RV-10 BPE, Dynon, Airflow systems A/C
First flight May 10, 2014
Old 07-30-2017, 08:14 AM

What does the addition of AC do to the oil and CHT temps?

-Marc
Old 07-30-2017, 08:51 AM

I've always had it so can't compare before vs after.
I see no difference when turning the compressor on or off.
Because I live in AZ, I did upgrade my oil cooler from an 06 size to 07 when I built and have shark gills on side of cowling (part of A/C kit) but I don't have abnormal heat problems. I actually had to install a butterfly valve in my oil cooler duct because I was struggling to stay in the green in winter time.
Old 07-30-2017, 11:41 AM

I'm very interested as well. After speaking wiht a few guys at OSH (some very respected and reputable) the overall consensus was NOT to install an AC unit. Troublesome, not always working, heavy, compromise cruise performance. Their suggestion was to use the cooler with the ICE and fan. But to me..that takes up space, is heavy and a small fix for a big problem living here in Houston. I know with the -10 flying high is always the goal, but those early part of the flight can be unbearable in the Houston heat.

The 2 systems I have looked at are the
Airflow system and the South Florida Aviation AC unit. Both have the lower scoop.

I am riveting my lower fuse skin on so I have some time before deciding.
N189PT- Christen Eagle II
N627DG (reserved)- RV10 in the making
www.marksfamilyrv10.wordpress.com
Old 07-30-2017, 12:11 PM

The beauty of experimental is building the way you want. My wife and I wanted comfort.
Yes it adds weight and complexity, but my cruise speeds are in the normal high 160's low 170's that everyone else seems to be in. I think there is some blowback from seasoned mechanics who worked on the junk systems that the certified shops were putting out in the 70's/80's. Most have been yanked out for years. The experimental systems of today use top shelf automotive components that are cheaper, have widely available parts, and much more reliable.
It is akin to comparing today's' experimental autopilots to the junk-o-matics the factories put out back in the day as well.
I thought I would only use it low altitude, but we don't. The cabin is like a greenhouse when the sun is on it, even with low OAT's.
Everybody is going to defend their own decisions, including me. Come out and I'll take you for a ride so you can decide for yourself. I have zero financial interest.

Last edited by woxofswa : 07-30-2017 at 12:52 PM.
Old 07-30-2017, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mciaglia View Post
I'm very interested as well. After speaking wiht a few guys at OSH (some very respected and reputable) the overall consensus was NOT to install an AC unit. Troublesome, not always working, heavy, compromise cruise performance. Their suggestion was to use the cooler with the ICE and fan. But to me..that takes up space, is heavy and a small fix for a big problem living here in Houston. I know with the -10 flying high is always the goal, but those early part of the flight can be unbearable in the Houston heat.

The 2 systems I have looked at are the
Airflow system and the South Florida Aviation AC unit. Both have the lower scoop.

I am riveting my lower fuse skin on so I have some time before deciding.
Mark,
I live in Houston as well and decided not to install an AC on my -10. My reasoning was that it would always be with you whether you wanted it or not. You could never decide to leave that 60lbs behind to carry some extra luggage.

I have been using one of the ice chest coolers and it works perfectly well when needed. I fly out of EFD and have some long taxis and get stuck down low under/through the Bravo. The ice chest AC has always been all I needed for these trips. I can always leave it on the ground when I want too.
Old 07-30-2017, 02:47 PM

I'm putting an Airflow Systems AC in my RV-10, and so far the parts and advice from Bill have been top quality. Since I haven't competed my project, I can't comment on how well it works, but I did do quite a bit of research in selecting the Airflow unit.

I also live in the Houston area and bought an ice chest cooler last year at AirVenture for use in my Grumman Traveler. It has been sitting unused on the hanger floor after my first 2 flights with it, as I found it not worth the trouble. 20 pounds of ice only lasted about 30 minutes in the summer heat here, emptying the cooler full of water was not easy, and the side trip to buy ice on the way to the airport took additional time away from flying. Overall, I found it more trouble than it was worth and gave up on it.

As someone else said, each of us will have our preferences and that is what Experimental is all about. Not saying that any preference is right or wrong - you need to do what works for you. Just indicating my experience/preferences.

RV-10 Finishing Kit in-progress
2017 VAF Dues Paid
Old 07-30-2017, 03:24 PM

+1 for Air Flow Systems

Myron sums it up well.

The Serpentine drive belt that the compressor uses instead of the old tech A section drive belts is just one of the many improvements that Bill has made to make this a very reliable system.

Taking the time to design a compressor mount that allows the compressor to sit low in the cowl so the cooling intake is not obstructed is another example of great design.

The Condenser scoop that mounts under the fuselage was designed and tested in a wind tunnel so the lowest drag profile could be used. I am amazed how little impact this has on my TAS. I regularly fly with other stock RV-10's and find very little difference between their TAS and fuel burn compared to mine.

I am surprised how much I use the A/C, yes you can do with out it ,but my wife and I really enjoy this part of our RV-10

3 years and nearly 400 hrs of trouble free fun.

A/C write up in my signature below,
RV-10 #40597
Airflow Systems Air-Con
http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...4&postcount=15
VH-XTE 350hrs +
Redcliffe,Brisbane
Australia
Photos : https://goo.gl/photos/zsfBeVofHMe4ze7i7
Old 07-31-2017, 08:27 AM

Default Flight Line AC

I also live in Houston. I have the Flight Line AC system installed in our RV10. I worked extensively with John Strain on the system and have a very good final installation. I have the MotoPod Cargo attachment for the bottom of the airplane and therefore could not use the AirFlow System with the scoop on the bottom.
We use the system on every flight we take as my wife, kids and I enjoy to comfort it provides. I see no difference in oil cooling or power difference with the system on or off. I did need to work with my CHT cooling and would likely route hoses differently and use different angle connections to the compressor. AirFlows compressor location is nice since it is low and out of the intake ramps way.
Its a builders choice on what is important or not. We have over 450 hours with no issues.

I would do it all over again.
RV-10 #40468
N815DG, Flying
G3X, GTN750, GTS800
Barrett IO-540, 9:1, Cold Air,
Dual SDS Electronic Fuel/Ignition (EM5, V29.1)
Polly Ranch Airpark(7XS0)
Friendswood, TX
Dues Paid 2017
http://TexasRV10.com/wordpress