VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 07-22-2017, 09:04 PM

I note switches for Fuel Pump 1 and Fuel Pump 2.
Does this mean fuel pump now turned off after take off?
Does this mean that the red cube measurement will now more accurately reflect fuel used, as the return flow is not great with fuel pumps turned off?
Old 07-22-2017, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMiller View Post
Tony. Nice report, thanks it answers many questions.
One mistake…it looks like the 912iS uses two Ducati regulators. I hope these do better, they are twice the price.
This is out of the 912iS HMM (look at manufacturers name etched into the edge of the case.)

The good news is there are no bing floats.
The ECU should be reliable, it's made by Rockwell Collins.
https://www.rockwellcollins.com/Prod...l_Channel.aspx

So…is there a new fuselage and engine in your future??

Mike
Actually, N912VA, the plane in the pictures, was done that way.
If I were to build another one, I would start from scratch. I enjoy the building part.
RV-12 #202 -- Flying
Old 07-22-2017, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftdown View Post
Scott,

In the Van's RV-12is advertising, it says the new engine cowl is easier to remove and install. How so?
It appears the piano hinge is still used, so how is removal and install any different than the old cowling?

Also, was there any redesign of the lower cowl?
Some people have always had some level of challenge with the ULS installation because of the free hanging oil cooler that has to be captured by the lower cowl during installation. It is actually pretty easy if the alignment of the oil cooler hoses is adjusted correctly but it still required some technique to do it.
With the iS, the oil cooler and coolant heat exchanger are hard mounted to the engine, so all you have to do is lift the cowl in place and install the pins.

The lower cowl is the same over-all shape with an enlarged air exit on the aft bottom (the iS engine with its computer control produces a lot more heat that needs to be dissipated.... just one more of the development challenges that had to be worked though), and the required change to the nose where the oil cooler and coolant heat exchanger are. Also on the left bottom is a NACA inlet for cabin heat air and another on the right side for induction air. The SCAT hose connected between the induction filter air box and the throttle body can be seen in Tony's first photo.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 07-22-2017, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjtjrt View Post
I note switches for Fuel Pump 1 and Fuel Pump 2.
Does this mean fuel pump now turned off after take off?
Does this mean that the red cube measurement will now more accurately reflect fuel used, as the return flow is not great with fuel pumps turned off?
In flight both fuel pumps are used full time so that there is no engine failure if one fails.
Just one pump is used for engine starting and taxi, and then during the run-up the second is switched on and the first switched off to confirm they will both run the engine individually, then the first one is switched back on so the are both operating for take-off and during flight.

The fuel flow is very accurate because no red cube is used. All engine info is derived from the CAN bus data in the ECM for the engine. Dynon developed some specific software to interpret and display all engine instrument data as derived from all of the resident Rotax sensors on the engine.

The iS engine always has a high volume return flow (in fact it requires a 3/8" line), but since the computer is controlling fuel delivery through the injectors it always knows exactly how much fuel the engine is burning, so it doesn't even matter how much is being returned to the tank.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon

Last edited by rvbuilder2002 : 07-22-2017 at 10:25 PM.
Old 07-22-2017, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbuilder2002 View Post
The lower cowl is the same over-all shape with an enlarged air exit on the aft bottom (the iS engine with its computer control produces a lot more heat that needs to be dissipated.... just one more of the development challenges that had to be worked though), and the required change to the nose where the oil cooler and coolant heat exchanger are.
Are you saying the engine produces more heat than the S engine or the ECM?

Ross Farnham, Calgary, Alberta
Turbo Subaru EJ22, Marcotte M-300, IVO, RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW- 415.8 hrs. on the Hobbs,
RV10 95% built- Sold 2016
http://www.sdsefi.com/aircraft.html
http://sdsefi.com/cpi.htm

Old 07-22-2017, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv6ejguy View Post
Are you saying the engine produces more heat than the S engine or the ECM?
The engine.
I presume because of the way the ECM controls the fuel delivery and ign timing.

The ECM is behind the firewall (not in the engine compartment).

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
Old 07-23-2017, 06:22 AM

Default FADEC And Header Tank

Im not sure why we are calling this a FADEC (full authority digital engine control). It's a ECU as it looks to me (please tell me I'm wrong, love to have bragging rights) the throttle control is not controlled by the computer, but by a push pull cable similar to the ULS. All the FADEC designs I have seen have the computer controlling the throttle position and if the computer can't control throttle position then it does not have "full authority"

I was also wondering if the new design has some type of header tank for the fuel injection system to vent off any gasses.
RV-12 Finished (Empennage, Fuselage, and Wing kit)
Finishing Kit on Hold
iS Fuselage On Order
1st GEN FUSELAGE FOR SALE
Serial#12-0864
N864DR Reserved
Old 07-23-2017, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolick22 View Post
Im not sure why we are calling this a FADEC (full authority digital engine control). It's a ECU as it looks to me (please tell me I'm wrong, love to have bragging rights) the throttle control is not controlled by the computer, but by a push pull cable similar to the ULS. All the FADEC designs I have seen have the computer controlling the throttle position and if the computer can't control throttle position then it does not have "full authority"

I was also wondering if the new design has some type of header tank for the fuel injection system to vent off any gasses.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FADEC

<short excerpt>
True full authority digital engine controls have no form of manual override available, placing full authority over the operating parameters of the engine in the hands of the computer.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
Old 07-23-2017, 07:08 AM

Default FADEC?

Continental has been referring to the IOF-240-B as FADEC ever since it came out. It is used in the Liberty XL-2. As far as I know it has a direct throttle linkage. http://www.planeandpilotmag.com/arti.../#.WXSc_caZORs

Perhaps the current usage of FADEC has become a little murky. Just my opinion.
Old 07-23-2017, 07:58 AM

Good job, I'm sure it wasn't as easy as it looks

Can you share some of the fuel flow and power specs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_T View Post
  • Van's is experiencing significant fuel use improvement and a bit more power. Ask them about it.
  • There is more to come as development continues, including the panel with an IFR navigator...