Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 08-01-2017, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subpar_bucker View Post
I sent in my check for the new fuselage this week. I'm curious if anyone has any idea what the lead time will be for delivery? I check Vans lead time page and it says 12 weeks for the -12 fuselage. I was really surprised to see that the wing kit lead time is now 20 weeks! Is that due to the OSH announcement or some other reason?
The current goal is to try and begin shipping fuselage kits in October.
The listed lead time for wing kits is because of a back on parts deliveries by a vendor.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 08-01-2017, 08:48 PM

When will pricing become available? Is the iS engine going to drastically increase the price?
Old 08-02-2017, 06:11 AM

Quote:
I agree on the not understanding why part (and know one has tried to provide an explanation to me).
At one point the discussion in the thread seemed to be leaning towards it defying the laws of physics so it must not be true.
I can assure you it is.
Same power with less fuel is a leaner mixture, and a leaner mixture is hotter - it's as simple as that. This is exactly what the chemistry (and physics) predicts. No laws are defied. No-one should be surprised.

I haven't seen any charts showing leaner mixtures are cooler where the power has been kept constant. They always compare e.g. 100hp LOP with 120hp ROP.
Or they define peak EGT (which is already on the lean side of stoich) as the starting point for their definition of "cooler".

Nice figures though!
Old 08-02-2017, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewR View Post
Same power with less fuel is a leaner mixture, and a leaner mixture is hotter - it's as simple as that.
Well, foo! There goes my theory about dilithium crystals.
Emp/TC done; Wings done; Fuse kit done

"History teaches us that men and nations behave wisely once they have exhausted all other alternatives." --Abba Eban
Paid up until Aug 2018
Old 08-02-2017, 07:16 AM

....to follow up, when is Rotax coming out with the dilithium engine? And what is the HP? LOL
Old 08-02-2017, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewR View Post
Same power with less fuel is a leaner mixture, and a leaner mixture is hotter - it's as simple as that. This is exactly what the chemistry (and physics) predicts. No laws are defied. No-one should be surprised.

I haven't seen any charts showing leaner mixtures are cooler where the power has been kept constant. They always compare e.g. 100hp LOP with 120hp ROP.
Or they define peak EGT (which is already on the lean side of stoich) as the starting point for their definition of "cooler".

Nice figures though!
Nonsense. I've posted several charts and links from respected sources and your statement flies in the face of what many people flying observe every day with digital engine monitors. Stoich is essentially at peak EGT, give or take about 1%. CHT reduction increases more rapidly than power loss LOP in the 16-17 AFR range where most folks cruise LOP.

Read more on APS and running LOP with turbocharged engines where a bit more MAP is added to regain the lost power. CHTs are substantially lower at the same power/ TAS when running LOP. We can do the same with an atmo engine where we have some more throttle available to add an inch or 2 of MAP.

CHT and FF become the essential factors as described in the latest APS recommendations which I linked to. EGT is just referenced to know that we are LOP.

Ross Farnham, Calgary, Alberta
Turbo Subaru EJ22, Marcotte M-300, IVO, RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW- 414.3 hrs. on the Hobbs,
RV10 95% built- Sold 2016
http://www.sdsefi.com/aircraft.html
http://sdsefi.com/cpi.htm

Old 08-02-2017, 07:56 AM

I'm pretty sure Van's was referring to residual heat once the engine is shut off. Electronics on top of the engine are OK when in flight and cool air is moving vertically down through the engine and exiting the cowl flap at the bottom. When sitting on the ground with engine stopped heat travels up through the engine and cooks the electronics. Louvers on top of the cowling allow heat to escape. I leave my oil door open after engine stop for same reason.
PPL - 1970
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub
RV-12 E-LSA #120058 AWC 7/12 Bought Flying 10/2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 275
Old 08-02-2017, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper J3 View Post
I'm pretty sure Van's was referring to residual heat once the engine is shut off. Electronics on top of the engine are OK when in flight and cool air is moving vertically down through the engine and exiting the cowl flap at the bottom. When sitting on the ground with engine stopped heat travels up through the engine and cooks the electronics. Louvers on top of the cowling allow heat to escape. I leave my oil door open after engine stop for same reason.
That was one of the factors that had to be dealt with, but temps with the engine operating were a factor also.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
Old 08-02-2017, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steenos View Post
When will pricing become available? Is the iS engine going to drastically increase the price?
The base price difference between the ULS and iS engines is $5000.

The price difference between the fuselage kit for each is only $25, but the base price for the new fuselage kit is ~ $500 more than the Gen. 1 fuselage kit.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon