Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 07-20-2017, 02:13 PM

Default Is the RV7 big enough?

Hi there,

I currently own a 1967 Cherokee 140 but as retirement looms in 10 years I am really looking into building an RV7.

I do have few questions though.

Number one, and most importantly, will I fit in the RV7? I am 6'5" with fairly long legs (35" inseam) and a large torso as well. When I build the a/c will I be able to modify the panel so that it doesn't come down as far as the standard one? I know some people add an extra 2" to the bottom, I would like to actually take 2" from the bottom for added legroom. Is this doable?

2nd question is how easy is it to transition to a tail wheel? I do have a good amount of flying time (almost 13000 hrs) but most of that is on large multi engine type of planes (P-3 and Airliners).

3rd question. Has anyone built one with air conditioning? Figure it would be nice in the summer months especially if I travel bellow the 49th parallel.

Thanks,
John
Old 07-20-2017, 02:23 PM

Welcome to the journey, the -7 is a great airplane!

1) 6'4" here with the same 35" inseam. I left the panel stock and have zero issues with leg room, head room is fine for me as well with flightline interiors seats.

2) I don't find the tailwheel difficult at all to land, but that's all I've flown since I got my private. My personal transition went like this: I got my tailwheel signoff in a Stinson 108 in about 6 hours starting the day after I passed my private checkride in a 172, Flew that for about 40 hours, 2 hours dual in an RV-6, and now 300 hours in my -7 with no issues.

3) Especially in Canada I wouldn't consider the weight and complexity of real AC; I'm not even sure anyone makes them for a -7. The RV climbs fast enough that even on the most uncomfortable days you're only a 5 min climb from smooth and cool. If you're really concerned, I've seen others make a simple "AC" system from a cooler and a computer fan, or commercially available http://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/arc...n-12-volt.html
FLYING!!! as of 7/22/10
Build Log

Last edited by odens_14 : 07-20-2017 at 02:27 PM.
Old 07-20-2017, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA-28 Canadian View Post
Hi there,

I currently own a 1967 Cherokee 140 but as retirement looms in 10 years I am really looking into building an RV7.

I do have few questions though.

Number one, and most importantly, will I fit in the RV7? I am 6'5" with fairly long legs (35" inseam) and a large torso as well. When I build the a/c will I be able to modify the panel so that it doesn't come down as far as the standard one? I know some people add an extra 2" to the bottom, I would like to actually take 2" from the bottom for added legroom. Is this doable?
Can't speak to this one.

Quote:
2nd question is how easy is it to transition to a tail wheel? I do have a good amount of flying time (almost 13000 hrs) but most of that is on large multi engine type of planes (P-3 and Airliners).
Tailwheel transition isn't hard. I did it as a newly-minted private pilot. As with other training, just fly a bunch and do it over a few days or weeks; don't drag it out over a year like I did.
I've never flown anything but little airplanes, so I can't speak to transitioning from large aircraft.

Quote:
3rd question. Has anyone built one with air conditioning? Figure it would be nice in the summer months especially if I travel bellow the 49th parallel.
I don't think you'll need it. I live in the deep south and I don't know anyone with air conditioning in their little airplane; it weighs too much and saps a lot of power. If you try to fly in the middle of the day it'll be hot down low; just get some altitude and keep your speed up and the cabin vents will help a lot. Get a good sunshade, too. Try to fly in the morning or evening if you can.
Old 07-20-2017, 02:27 PM

You'll find that others of your stature have fit into a -7 but nobody my size (5'8", 200lbs) would be able to comfortably fly it (lots of cushions behind me). I would be leaning toward the -14. Van's created it just for folks your size

There is a company that makes A/C units but it takes away precious usable weight from the -7. Here, again, the -14 would be better.

If you are set on a -7, get the super track mod (if it's a slider) and the Anti-Splat Almost -14 mod. Mount the peddles as far forward as possible. Others with this setup have mounted blocks on the copilot peddles for shorter passengers/pilots.
PlanePower Alt, FlightLines Interior, James cowl & plenum
All lines by TSFlightLines
NSDQ

"The object of the game, gentlemen, is not to cheat death: the object is not to let him play."
Patrick Poteen, Sgt. U.S. Army

Last edited by Raymo : 07-20-2017 at 02:34 PM.
Old 07-20-2017, 02:30 PM

I used to own an RV-6A and I'm of the same dimensions as you. The 6 has about 1" less headroom and I fit fine. I do wear QT Halos as my headset as it saves headroom. For more legroom, you can move the bottom of the seat base back 1". I think you'll be quite happy with a 7.
Old 07-20-2017, 02:40 PM

I would recommend the 14. Lots more room. Shoulder room for two larger guys will be much better in the 14.
2010 SARL Rocket 100 race, average speed of 238.6 knots/274.6mph
RV4, RV7, RV10, two HRIIs and five F1 Rockets
RV14 Tail dragger flying #153

Fairlea Field
St.Thomas, Ontario Canada, CYQS
fairleafield@gmail.com
Old 07-20-2017, 03:04 PM

Default can't go wrong with a -14

too pricey? find a partner, that'll help get you thru the build too!

sit in as many RV's as you can find. I am 5' 11" on a good day and sure, there's a little air over my headset, but canopy bumps are frequent. You will NOT like sharing the elbow space with another person.
my opinion; if you build or buy a -7, and do all the mods as suggested to the A/C, slider tracks, seatback etc....you may not like the end result, limited payload, wt & balance challenges etc.

then go sit in a -14.

or a -10!!!! you don't HAVE to fill all the seats!!!!

Really.

then get out your chequebook.
Lake Country, BC

....paid up til Nov. 2017

Last edited by flyboy1963 : 07-20-2017 at 03:05 PM. Reason: add comment
Old 07-20-2017, 03:07 PM

Can't comment on size as my wife and I are both short. But I can say that even here in FL, A/C really wouldn't be worth the money, weight, or complexity. It may get hot on the ground, but with the slider canopy open, as soon as I start up I have plenty of breeze. And since RV's climb so fast, you can be in cooler air within a matter of just a few minutes. Heck, the majority of our last flight down to Key West my wife was complaining of being cold...

Chris
Old 07-20-2017, 03:22 PM

The shoulder space is a good point, I flew my uncle who is about as big as I am and "you have to like each other" is an accurate statement. Not overly uncomfortable but definitely close. I too use a behind the head head set (QT halo, which I love) but I've only hit my head on the canopy once and that was only because I didn't latch the 5th point of my seatbelt in some pretty heavy turbulence in winter. Which brings me to my next point on headroom, I went with the Conforfoam upgrade from Flightline on my seats and wouldn't do it again. When flying in the winter it gets hard, and then the head room is tight until my body heat & seat heat softens it up a bit and it compresses back to normal.
FLYING!!! as of 7/22/10
Build Log

Last edited by odens_14 : 07-20-2017 at 03:27 PM.
Old 07-20-2017, 05:30 PM

Default RV-7 in Montreal Area

Hello John,

There are a few RV-7(a) in the Montreal area. I know one owner in Joliette (CSG3). If you want to sit in one, I can ask and share contact with him. Alternatively, I know a gentleman building one near Mirabel.

There is a small but active RV'ers community around Montreal. Don't hesitate to get in touch with us.

Regards,

Martin
RV-8 s/n #80414
Kitlog: http://www.mykitlog.com/MartRV80414/
Empennage: 95% (ready for inspection)
Fuselage: 90% (Canoe 2.0 in progress- Final Riveting)
Wings: Slow Build Wing Kit on the way from Van's - Delivery End Nov 17.