Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 07-18-2017, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyFlorida View Post
Mine was shipped July 2016 and it's affected.
You are correct. I was only looking at the LW-11750 rod dates. Sorry that you are affected. Hope it won't ground a lot of individuals for OSH!
Tulsa, OK 74115
(918) 835-1089 phone
(918) 835-1754 fax
www.barrettprecisionengines.com
Old 07-18-2017, 05:57 PM

More BAD NEWS to follow if you ask me.

History, my Advanced Pilot seminars colleague down here in Australia and one of our mutual friends who between them are the countries biggest and best engine shops started to detect this problem almost 2 years ago. As usual and sadly, Lycoming were not very forthcoming and even CASA were not.

The bad news is likely to be like all these SB's where they start at a date range (and then shortly after the date range extends.

Now why do I say this? Well some of the engines with very much failed parts at <50% hours were overhauled in 2011.

Think about how Lycoming might be trying damage control methods here. Continental are doing funny things about timing gears too at present. There is a lack of complete transparency going on in the eyes of many who are not fools in the industry.

I smell a rat.

I hope I am being too harsh and skeptical, but even my 2008 build IO540 with 1500 hours on it now is potentially a victim, purely because I know this problem existed at least back as far as 2011. And it was the these very same parts that started the process off at the end of 2015/early 2016.

I will try to post the photos later, after I get permission to publish them from my friend who started this all off.

You have to ask why it has taken over 18 months for the SB to appear.

Time will tell.

David Brown

The two best investments you can make, by any financial test, an EMS and APS!
Old 07-18-2017, 06:39 PM

Does anyone know what the root cause of the problem is? Are other manufacturers' rods potentially affected? Needing some RCCA analysis here...
Old 07-18-2017, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV10inOz View Post
More BAD NEWS to follow if you ask me.

History, my Advanced Pilot seminars colleague down here in Australia and one of our mutual friends who between them are the countries biggest and best engine shops started to detect this problem almost 2 years ago. As usual and sadly, Lycoming were not very forthcoming and even CASA were not.

The bad news is likely to be like all these SB's where they start at a date range (and then shortly after the date range extends.

Now why do I say this? Well some of the engines with very much failed parts at <50% hours were overhauled in 2011.

Think about how Lycoming might be trying damage control methods here. Continental are doing funny things about timing gears too at present. There is a lack of complete transparency going on in the eyes of many who are not fools in the industry.

I smell a rat.

I hope I am being too harsh and skeptical, but even my 2008 build IO540 with 1500 hours on it now is potentially a victim, purely because I know this problem existed at least back as far as 2011. And it was the these very same parts that started the process off at the end of 2015/early 2016.

I will try to post the photos later, after I get permission to publish them from my friend who started this all off.

You have to ask why it has taken over 18 months for the SB to appear.

Time will tell.
And you can thank tort law and lawyers for the lack of transparency.

Tim
Old 07-18-2017, 09:23 PM

Default Difference between XIO and YIO 320

So what's the difference between the XIO-320-D1A RT that Vans sells and the one on recall the YIO-320-D1A ?

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for thier use.

Extra dues paid 2017, worth every penny

RV9A- Status: tail feathers done less tips
Wings 50%
www.pilotjohnsrv9.blogspot.com
Old 07-18-2017, 10:03 PM

Not sure why Van's markets the experimental engines as "X" designation, but the engines you receive from Lycoming are designated "Y". I ordered an XIO-360 M1B from Van's and my data plate shows YIO-360-M1B. Must be a licensing or marketing agreement.
Old 07-19-2017, 12:29 AM

So...for the uninitiated among us;

Who pays for the Service Bulletin to be complied with? Standard Warranty thought process would say that Lycoming foots the bill, but that seems unlikely...

Is the industry standard that the manufacturer gets off financially untouched putting out an unsafe product, or will they pay for everyone's engines to get fixed?
Old 07-19-2017, 12:48 AM

Follow up from my earlier post, these bushes are a new design from a year or so ago, and they were a "new design"........wonder why the new design, but now the new one is worse!

I went back through my emails about this and the email was from January 2016, but the issues had been building with many incidents found by just a few shops in Australia on FACTORY engines.

One dated back to 2005

This is just the beginning for sure.

CASA and the FAA have been aware of this problem since 2015, and so have Lycoming. I can only wonder if a little aviation outpost like Australia has seen so many why it has not been a bigger fuss in the FAA's backyard.

Maybe Lycoming like to send all their junk engines down under?

So there are TWO seperate bush design problems, the older ones are a problem but the new ones are far worse!

What the heck is going on Lycoming???

David Brown

The two best investments you can make, by any financial test, an EMS and APS!

Last edited by RV10inOz : 07-19-2017 at 02:01 AM.
Old 07-19-2017, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgbewley View Post
You are correct. I was only looking at the LW-11750 rod dates. Sorry that you are affected. Hope it won't ground a lot of individuals for OSH!
Rhonda, so what is (your opinion) the design issue? Are the Lyc bushings just dimensionally poor or is the bushing material too soft and they are yielding and losing preload?

Sorry for all the questions, but one more - are the bushings installed with rod and bushing cold and pressed, hot, or light pressed then internally burnished to expand and reamed to final dimension?

99% at the hangar now
Old 07-19-2017, 06:24 AM

Keep in mind that even though it's an MSB (mandatory SB) there is nothing "legally" mandatory about any SB even in the "certified" world until it becomes an AD.

EXP Aircraft Services LLC
Specializing in RV Condition Inspections, Maintenance, Avionics Upgrades
Dynamic Prop Balancing, Pitot-Static Altmeter/Transponder Certification
FAA Certified Repair Station, AP/IA/FCC GROL, EAA Technical Counselor
Authorized Garmin G3X Dealer/Installer
Website: ExpAircraft.com, Email: walt@expaircraft.com, Cell: 972-746-5154