Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 07-31-2017, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manchu16 View Post
I did notice the nose wanted to hunt back and forth (yaw) with any bump. Is that normal?
Yes, this is normal for the 12. Other's will tell you to hold even rudder pressure - not the answer. The 12 hunts in yaw a fair amount when in turbulence. Inherent with the design. You get used to it...
PPL - 1970
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub
RV-12 E-LSA #120058 AWC 7/12 Bought Flying 10/2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 275
Old 07-31-2017, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper J3 View Post
Yes, this is normal for the 12. Other's will tell you to hold even rudder pressure - not the answer. The 12 hunts in yaw a fair amount when in turbulence. Inherent with the design. You get used to it...
Actually, rudder free vs rudder fixed stability is different in most all airplanes including the RV-12.

If you hold pressure on both pedals, locking the rudder in its neutral position it is effectively increasing the vertical stabilizer area by the additional area of the rudder. This increases yaw stability.
If you fly feet on the floor (so to speak), the rudder is free to pivot with yaw excursions (and it will).

I fly all the RV models with my feet "fixing" the position of the rudder, if there is any turbulence.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 07-31-2017, 11:24 AM

Default Try several models on for "size"

Get a ride in a couple different model RV's. You have flown a 12 now try a 6,7 or 9 then a 4 or 8. That might help you decide. Whatever you decide 12, 6/7, 4/8, 14 I am 100% positive you have no regrets.

The harder question IMHO is do you want to spend years building (which is fine) or do you want to fly now (buy used)? Whatever your choice it is an RV, you will love it!
EAA - 577486
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE - THANK THE AMERICAN SOLDIER FOR YOURS!
Old 07-31-2017, 05:49 PM

I am not a short guy, 5'9", but I could barely reach the brakes. Seat was in the forward of the two positions but still was tip-towing. I will need to figure out an option to go further forward or take the wood blocks off of one of the kids tricycles.

Easily fix by ordering a 2 inch pad from Flight Line Interiors that goes behind the rear seat cushion to mover you forward.
I think they are $60
950 Hours as of 7/10/2017
Jetguy@att.net
RV14 Wing, arrived and building at Rdog's new Hanger at 16X
S/N 140014
Old 07-31-2017, 06:15 PM

A guy down in Alabama let me fly his 12. That thing is super responsive! I can't imagine a cross country with AP.

I'm hoping to hear more about the RV12iS when they get back from Oshkosh. The RV12 just seems to fit the bill with it's cheap operating costs and autogas.
Old 07-31-2017, 06:23 PM

I'm 5'-9 on a good day and I have no problem reaching pedals. Perhaps the links are longer where the rudder cables connect on that plane to accommodate someone with longer legs. See plans 32-12 for parts F-1258 L and R.

The 12 bounces around a little more than the other RVs due to light wing loading as you expect out of all LSAs but you just slow down, fly higher or minimize flying during mid-day. I've flown it everywhere I flew the RV-9A including multiple trips to Oshkosh in the always challenging varying weather conditions.
RV-12 #120515, 319RV 165 hours.
1st flight 12/08/15, flew SNF, Oshkosh, Triple Tree & SERFI in year 1!
RV-9A, 536 hours, sold

Last edited by scottmillhouse : 07-31-2017 at 06:38 PM. Reason: update
Old 08-01-2017, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steenos View Post
A guy down in Alabama let me fly his 12. That thing is super responsive! I can't imagine a cross country with AP.
It's a great cross country machine. I flew mine almost 300 hours and to 42 states in a little over two years.

You have to adjust the auto pilot settings to your personal preference. A lot of builders seem to not mess with it. Too bad because with a few adjustments, it's as smooth as can be.

In real bumpy air, it tends to "hunt" a little. Eventually, I hand fly it some to smooth it out and then go back to the AP.

www.pflanzer-aviation.com
Paid through 2043!
Lund fishing Boat, 2017, GONE FISHING
RV-12 - Completed 2014, Sold
427 Shelby Cobra - Completed 2012, Sold
F1 EVO - partially completed, Sold
F1 Rocket - Completed 2005, Sold
RV-7A - Partially completed, Sold
RV-6 - Completed 2000, Sold
Long-EZ - Completed 1987, Sold

Old 08-01-2017, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1rocket View Post
. . . "In real bumpy air, it tends to "hunt" a little. Eventually, I hand fly it some to smooth it out and then go back to the AP."
In that regard, I don't think it is much different than any other LSA.
Due to the light wing loading, it is "just the nature of the animal."
Old 08-02-2017, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetguy View Post
I am not a short guy, 5'9", but I could barely reach the brakes. Seat was in the forward of the two positions but still was tip-towing. I will need to figure out an option to go further forward or take the wood blocks off of one of the kids tricycles.

Easily fix by ordering a 2 inch pad from Flight Line Interiors that goes behind the rear seat cushion to mover you forward.
I think they are $60
For the first couple of hundred hours I used a gel filled back cushion to feel more comfortable. I'm 5'8".

Then after having owned a Mazda Miata I adopted the RV 'slouch' where I slouch down more as I did in the Mazda. My feet easily fit the pedals and brakes as well as not having too much travel where you can over control the rudder. You don't need that much rudder in RV-12 as opposed to other planes.

Tip for take-off ...line up straight and quickly apply about half power which is enough airflow over rudder to prevent over controlling the first few feet with differential braking. Once going straight go to full power and by the time you're there it's ready to rotate.

I do still uses a lumbar cushion to fill the gap betetween the vertical and horizontal cushion and this helps a lot for fatigue on longer legs.